Hobby Boss Kits

Started by Radish, September 10, 2006, 09:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

Ah, I see. :thumbsup: Read it back in 1998. That particular detail must have escaped in the last twelve years. :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

NARSES2

Quote from: nev on February 10, 2010, 11:48:14 AM
With a "made in Canada" sticker? :wacko:

Strictly speaking "designed in Canada" - "Made in Sheffield and the West Midlands". Oh how I remember all the fuss at the time at work. Even know a couple of people who were arrested...never charged though  :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Got the HobbyBoss 1/700 "USS Arizona"....very nice with full or waterline options ;D
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

nev

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 11, 2010, 03:00:22 AM
Quote from: nev on February 10, 2010, 11:48:14 AM
With a "made in Canada" sticker? :wacko:

Strictly speaking "designed in Canada" - "Made in Sheffield and the West Midlands". Oh how I remember all the fuss at the time at work. Even know a couple of people who were arrested...never charged though  :wacko:

I work with a bloke who was employed by the engineering firm in question at the time.  He said *everyone* knew the "pipes" were for Iraq :D
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 10, 2010, 01:37:18 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on February 09, 2010, 04:01:21 PM
That would look good in desert cam, and Iraqi flags on it :wacko:
and pointed at Israel.

For true authenticity (if I can use such a word in here..) you'd have to model some IDF F-15s and F-16s above it peppering it with heavy munitions, because that's surely what would have been its fate!

Just put a perspex rod in the end of the barrel with a Popeye on the end pointing the other way.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Jeffry Fontaine

For anyone that is interested in acquiring and building the Hobby Boss F-111A Aardvark (1/48th scale kit#80348) I would recommend that you bookmark Fotios Rouch's on-line build article from CyberModeler and use it as a handy resource for your own model.

(click on image or html to go to the article)

(image source: Fotios Rouch/CyberModeler)

Direct from the HobbyBoss web page:

QuoteAustralian F-111C ''Pig'' (1/48th scale Kit #80349)

The F-111 Aardvark was designed as a all-weather multi-role aircraft by the General Dynamics . It was the result of the requirement in the 1960s for a long range interceptor to US Navy and deep-strike interdictor to USAF, but the Navy versions was failed,, so the project ended as an strike aircraft. The F-111 with a Features as twin-seat,twin-power, Swing-wing, a semi-monocoque aircraft, First flight 21 December 1964. first production F-111s were delivered on 18 July 1967. the F-111s total Production was 563 aircraft. F -111A is the early Variants of the F-111 Family, 158 F -111A was built.

The F-111C is the export version for Australia, combining the F-111A with longer F-111B wings and strengthened FB-111A landing gear. Australia decided to order 24 in 1963, and received their first F-111C in 1968. However development delays and structural problems delayed acceptance of aircraft by the Royal Australian Air Force until 1973.

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Geoff

HB has released a couple of the new PLA AFV's. I picked up a ZSL-92 looks good.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

Should be handy for Iraq and Afghanistan  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

ChernayaAkula

A modern, injection-moulded Landy!  :o Yeah!  :party:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Mossie

Excellent, hope they scale it down to 1/72 too.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

I bought my first ever Hobby Boss kit the other day, their Fw-190D9 because I wanted an Fw-190 paddle blade prop (don't ask......) I was astonished to find the fuselage was all one piece and the wings another! Amazing mould techniques, never seen anything like it before.

Are all their kits like that?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

puddingwrestler

What is unnoficially refered to as the 'easy kit' range is all that way, yes. Basically, all the 1/72 WW2 planes, plus the MiG15, Sabre and some other early jets. The later jets, military stuff and larger scales use more conventional molds. The easy kits are designed for the younger builder as a sort of half way point between glue and snap together kits - however they produce nice enough models that a number of skillful modelers have taken to biulding them so they can get to the paint stage quicker and play with that.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Green Dragon

Only the 1/72nd "Easy Kits" are like that (I have three of the F-84's). IIRC the kit number is how you can tell the easy from the normal 1/72nd kits, if the number starts with 80 it's an easy kit, if it's 87 it is a normal kit.

HTH Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

PR19_Kit

Thanks for the info gentlemen, you learn something new every day.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit