Hobby Boss Kits

Started by Radish, September 10, 2006, 09:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

G'day Gang,

Modelversium has the two Hobby Boss Eagles in 72nd up for review.  Predictably, there are only pylons, FAST packs and a centreline tank for stores.  Although they note the Israeli E model as from the 'Hummers', I'd suggest it is in fact an F-15I from the 'Hammers' squadron.

The most galling of these kits is the complete absence of LANTIRN kit for the Beagle.  Whilst their twin-tub A-10 could be excused, being only a protoype, the lack of these two pods for an operational aircraft so widely recognised as the Strike Eagle is unfathomable.  In all reality, this kit is merely an F-15D with E markings.  I expect that Hobby Boss will continue this line of marketing/boxing, which I personally find fairly disappointing.  I almost expect their next Eagle to be an ASAT 'Celestial Eagle' without the ASAT missile!!!! :banghead:

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=3622
http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=3623

Regards,

Mav

AeroplaneDriver

Pretty pathetic to have a Strike Eagle without the LANTIRN gear.  That cockpit looks a peach too...    :blink:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

nev

They've got the wrong style burner cans as well - y'know, the ones that haven't been used for 20 years :banghead:

Wouldn't mind so much if it was the same low price as some of their other kits, but for over tenner - no chance.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Maverick

Morning Gang,

Modellversium has a review of the 72nd scale Hobby Boss A-7B (auf Deutsch naturlich).  Seems they've only changed the cockpit sprue & decals, so the rather nice weapons options (including the FLIR pod) are still available.

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=3711

In addition, here's a link on SMAKR to my review of the 72nd Hobby Boss N/AW A-10.

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/Inbox/a-c/a-10a-n-aw-i.htm

Regards,

Mav

nev

HB Typhoons have had their price adjusted as well.  NOT £3.99 but a a tenner - not quite so attractive now <_<
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Maverick

Morning Gang,

Modelversium has put up a review of the Hobby Boss Typhoon 'twin stick'.

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=3726

I can't say I'm overly enamoured of their 'mainstream' easy-kits as the price usually is comparable with a much better offering of the same type from one of the 'normal' manufacturers and will frequently offer much more in the way of stores (except Hasegawa of course,  :lol:).

Their N/AW A-10 is nice, but I doubt I'd consider their standard -10A or much of any of their others in the series.

Regards,

Mav

Maverick

G'day Gang,

Modelversium has put up some shots of the A-7K's boxart, artwork & decals.

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=3757

Regards,

Mav

Ian the Kiwi Herder

.... and at sixteen quid each I maight just invest in one (or two - but not if Mrs. Hunter-Gatherer is reading this). So folks..... Who's up for:-

Finnish AF ?

Pylon Racer ??

WarPac RAF ???

SAAF ???? (bartered from captured/refurbed Israeli stocks, for 'technical assistance' in relation to the Israeli nuclear programme) - I'm looking at YOU, Duncan

(first generation) Soviet Aggressor's ????? - Obviously painted like NATO fighters of the day.

Over to you  :wacko:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Weaver

How about aggressors painted as RAF Sabres, which (I think) had black undersides?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Radish

Black Ops did a SAAF MiG-17.

Meanwhile....I like the idea of a Soviet one painted as an Aggressor.
Also:

Spanish Republican?
RAF one, captured and used as a hack...RAF colours plus unit markings?
RAF one, captured and in Raspberry Ripple?
USAF one as an Aggressor (yes, I know they had "some")
Jordan?
Australian, captured and in full RAAF colours and markings?
El Salvador?

Looking forward to all the MiGs that'll be around.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Weaver on September 29, 2008, 02:25:19 AM
How about aggressors painted as RAF Sabres, which (I think) had black undersides?

Erm, no.... The RAFG/2TAF aircraft had PRU Blue undersides, the home based ones had painted aluminium undersides, but just to confuse things, sometimes airframes were swapped between RAFG & Home squadrons so either could be seen in a line-up.

Ian
(Part time RAF Sabre-Pedant)

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Radish on September 29, 2008, 02:51:30 AM
Also:

Spanish Republican?

El Salvador?

Looking forward to all the MiGs that'll be around.

Not just El Salvador, Terry, but all the other Latin American nations that could have 'turned East' if the 'Domino Theory' had proved true and the Cubans & Soviets effected revolution in the whole continent. I'm sure there's a whole 'Alternative History' just waiting to be written right there. Think of all factors, not just governmental change, but the effect on world Coffee supplies/markets, minerals & precious metals, fighting over the rights (or otherwise) to the oil supplies under the Gulf of Mexico..... Ohhh yes, Peoples Democratic Republic of Mexico Navy (PDRoMN) MiG 17's chasing 'ferret' P-2 Neptunes & A-3 Skywarriors, it's all there......

Ian
(Oh poo !!   I'm getting enthusiastic again, aren't I ? :blink:)

Confuscious (maybe)

Radish

The Scottish Union Air Force (SUAF) had Mick Coyne MiC-17 Friskies, similar to the Irish Air Corps (remember I did a red Frisky Mk.5). The Welsh had some Friskies too....all part of the Celtic Alliance. Sheep figured strongly in Welsh unit insignia/personal markings.

Radish

Honduran Sabres were painted rather nicely in pale blue with dark blue cheatlines...all rather glossy and nice. A MiG-17?
I think Black Ops has done some South American MiGs...Columbia, Mexican, etc..

Thailand?
Spanish Nationalist (captured)?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Ahhh the battered red Mick 17....... one of the highlights of your career my friend.....

Fancy a dogfight double, Mexican Miguel 17 & USMC F-91 Sea Vixen - You choose the scale !!

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)