Hobby Boss Kits

Started by Radish, September 10, 2006, 09:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

Modeling Madness has a posted a kit build review by Dan Lee on his recently built model of the HobbyBoss F-105D, 1/48th scale kit #80332 which includes some useful comments on construction of this model kit which may be of use to anyone that can afford this kit.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

QuoteHad to do a double take.  Thought that roundel was an Italian one!

...  Great, another thing to model...   Bang head

Ahh - the mind of a whiffer at work ;D

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

Morning Gang,

Modelversium has a review of the Hobby Boss HH-60H.  I'm still a bit confused as to why a CSAR bird would be carrying a Penguin, but you get that.

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=4439

Regards,

Mav

anthonyp

Quote from: Maverick on September 01, 2009, 05:36:31 PM
I'm still a bit confused as to why a CSAR bird would be carrying a Penguin, but you get that.

For X-TREME CSAR ops. 

"Sir, there's a trawler heading towards the downed pilot, but we'll get there before and be away before they get within 15 miles."
"Take 'em out just to be sure!"
"But, uh, they're probably just fishing and going to help us out..."
"I SAID FIRE!!!!"
"No you didn't..."
"YES I DID!!!  SHOOT!!!  BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Maverick on September 01, 2009, 05:36:31 PMModelversium has a review of the Hobby Boss HH-60H.  I'm still a bit confused as to why a CSAR bird would be carrying a Penguin, but you get that.

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=4439
Consider it a bonus for use on some other kit.  At the prices CopyBoss is charging for most of their merchandise you should not be complaining.  Now if Kinetic was offering this kit it would have every weapon or piece of equipment ever carried or considered for carriage by the Blackhawk, Seahawk, Pave Hawk, and Firehawk in the box.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Mossie

HobbyBoss seem to have been getting a little confused with some of their helicopter variants recently.  Their Lynx HAS.3 shows a late Lynx on the box with BERP blades, Stingray torpedoes & markings to suit, but you get the early blades & fishes in the box.  Their Mi-8MT/Mi-17 is a straight re-box of the Mi-8 with different decals, but the engine cowlings between the types should be quite different.  I'm willing to guess that this HH-60H is a re-box of another variant, with the same sprue.  Shouldn't matter with the HH-60H too much to be fair.

This doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the kits themselves, just the bits in the box might not be what you expect from the title & artwork.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Mossie on September 02, 2009, 02:13:27 AM
<...>
This doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the kits themselves, just the bits in the box might not be what you expect from the title & artwork.

Indeed. They have a Hasegawa-approach of several small sprues with parts specific to the variants. Best bet is trying to look at the kit's contents (or the sprue pics in the instructions) on 1999.CO.JP. If you're going to use after-market decals anyway (or outright whif it  :wacko: ), just pick the kit with the most parts. :lol: even if you want to build a rescue bird, that Penguin might come in handy for another whif. :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Green Dragon

Modellversium has a look at the Mk.90/95 Lynx kit. http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=4430
Might get one to do the Portugese scheme.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Sauragnmon

If there's one thing I hope Hobby Boss keeps expanding, it's their 1/700 submarine line - they do awesome stuff with those subs, and since they put out a Type 033, I'm hoping they'll release a 033G as well - I saw pics of that at the Nats, and I was like "What IS that, I Want one!" but the only one available is 1/144.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Maverick

G'day Gang,

IPMS Deutschland have a review of the Hobby Boss HH-60J Jayhawk.  Some extras in the box including torps and a Penguin.

http://ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Hobby_Boss/HB_HH-60J_Jayhawk/HB_HH-60J_Jayhawk.html

Regards,

Mav

Jeffry Fontaine

royabulgaf

I recently bought the HobbyBoss F-86 with the Japanese Blue Impulse markings.  The kit OK, not as good as the Hobbycraft or Academy, but ahead of the others.  Nice intake trunking, unbelievable decal set.  You just have the paint the model white, and the decals cover EVERYTHING else. 

Then, I got their Fw 190D with the Papagei markings, the red-white stripe undersides.  No stripes, rather sparse decals.  Go figure.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

Jeffry Fontaine

anthonyp

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on September 13, 2009, 10:18:07 AM
Modellversium has posted a kit review of the HobbyBoss F-22 (c)Raptor (kit # 80210)

I've got a couple of these in the stash.  It looks like a nice kit (though no AIM-9X's or droptanks, which I actually came from some knockoff Chinese kit I have).
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Jeffry Fontaine

Some additional links to the A-7A and A-7D Corsair IIs from HobbyBoss:

A-7A Corsair II (Kit #80342)

(image source: hobbyboss.com)

A-7D Corsair II (Kit #80343)

A-7D Corsair II (Kit #80344)