Lysander

Started by The Rat, September 10, 2006, 03:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Just jotted down #62 on my ever-growing list, a float equipped Lysander. Trouble is, despite my well known fetish for water-borne aerodynes I have no idea where to scrounge the (approximately) right size items.

Any suggestions?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

You could try the Aeroclub sheet of vac-form floats they have.

http://www.aeroclub-models.com/p.html?n=11&c=K811

:cheers: Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Leigh

Wouldn't an Arado be about the right size?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Gary

Hobbycraft Beaver floats and a Frog/Airfix Lysander. That is of course in Manly 72nd scale. If you want 48th, I may be able to get you the sander, but floats might be a tad more difficult. A set of floats from a 72nd Kingfisher might do the trick.  
Getting back into modeling

Captain Canada

Well, if you were going to model the official Lysduck, you'd need a Bristol Centaurus, and a Grumman Duck !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

elmayerle

QuoteAsk JHM to provide them for you.

^_^
Yeah, probably the easiest way. I'm more than willing to carve one float, but trying to get a second to look exactly the same is beyond my abilities.  :wacko:  There has to be some kit out there with floats the right size.
Would floats for an Otter be about the right size?  If so, does any Otter kit out there include floats?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

The Rat

QuoteYou could try the Aeroclub sheet of vac-form floats they have.
Hmmm... 11 pairs of varying size for what would probably be about $25 after shipping. Seems like every whiffer should have a set on hand.  ^_^  I'll look into that!

QuoteHobbycraft Beaver floats and a Frog/Airfix Lysander. That is of course in Manly 72nd scale.
Manly scale is right, I should move up to the larger stuff!  :P  That's another easy sounding option.

QuoteWell, if you were going to model the official Lysduck,...
Toad, if you don't build that I will! Bloody gorgeous!

QuoteWould floats for an Otter be about the right size? If so, does any Otter kit out there include floats?
I think the HC one does, they would be bigger than the Beaver jobs. Guess I'll have to work out the gross weights of all three and find out which are the better match.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Andrew Gorman

Let me know if you want a pair from an Airfix Beaver- I can check the measurements tomorrow.
Andrew

The Rat

QuoteLet me know if you want a pair from an Airfix Beaver- I can check the measurements tomorrow.
Andrew
Thanks Andrew, if I find the model I'll let you know! I just checked the weights and the Lysander is heavier than the Beaver, but nowhere close to the Otter. The float Lysander would need to have a lighter gross weight for those floats, but I think it's doable. Trouble is, finding an Airfix example. Looks like I'll have a busy time scouring the shops.

Gee, that's a real chore.  :lol:  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteAsk JHM to provide them for you.

^_^
Yeah, probably the easiest way. I'm more than willing to carve one float, but trying to get a second to look exactly the same is beyond my abilities.  :wacko:  There has to be some kit out there with floats the right size.
Yep, if you'll recall (link down there, somewhere), one of the main reasons I was doing up all those 1:48 resin floats awhile back is because I'm doing a Lysander with twin floats, too.  I had to purposely make some oversized/long ones for the Lysander as anything currently available from "real" subject kits just looked too small on the Lysander.

What's a pair of floats worth to ya, big-boy?   ;)  

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...897&hl=lysander
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

QuoteYep, if you'll recall (link down there, somewhere), one of the main reasons I was doing up all those 1:48 resin floats awhile back is because I'm doing a Lysander with twin floats, too.
Ooh 'ell, can't believe I didn't see that thread. Just checked it and there were no replies from me. Sorry about that.

I've got to start working on the ideas I've already got.  :unsure:  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteYep, if you'll recall (link down there, somewhere), one of the main reasons I was doing up all those 1:48 resin floats awhile back is because I'm doing a Lysander with twin floats, too.
Ooh 'ell, can't believe I didn't see that thread. Just checked it and there were no replies from me. Sorry about that.

I've got to start working on the ideas I've already got.  :unsure:
Hey, no problem.  You'll likely finish yours before I get mine done, anyhow.

Check out my "Floats, Getcha Floats" thread for some resin float possiblities in 1:48.  I've so far cast most of them.  Not "Aires" quality, to be sure, but they do come out, "workable."

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...=6033&hl=floats
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Mossie

How about the floats from a C-47C 'Duckota'?  Maybe a little on the large size but it should be easy to cut them down.

Simon
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

BTW, there's a floatplane build planned on ARC for later this year - don't know if whiffs are allowed or not.  Might be the excuse I need to build my Spit V floatplane using the MDC conversion :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

kitnut617

I would suggest floats from a Blackburn Shark.  Modelcraft (I think Novo too) make this model with floats.  If you remember, when they put floats on a Blackburn Roc, they used Shark floats.  Also to speed things up, the first Spitfire to be equipped with floats, a Mk.I, also used Shark floats. Actually they used Roc floats but as I just said these came from the Shark.  I'm making a Spitfire Mk.I floatplane to go along with my Mk.V and Mk.IX I have.

The Beaver or Otter floats were Edo floats BTW, so I don't think they would have been used.  

Incidently, one project I've started is a 1/72 Bristol Bolingbroke Floatpane, which actually was built and flown, and from the three view drawing I have of it, the floats are huge compared to the fuselage.  This aircraft used Edo floats too and after a lot of searching, I found that the Hobbycraft 1/48 Otter floats were a close match.  I had to shorten them by 20mm (10mm either side of the step) and change the angle of the planing surface a bit (had to make it sharper) otherwise, the profile is fairly close.  So far I've got one float almost finished and I am going to use it as my first attempt at resin casting.

This will have to wait until the new year though.

:cheers: Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike