Started by The Rat, September 10, 2006, 03:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Speaking of Lizzie whiffs, remember this:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Image looks familiar but don't remember what book it came from. 

If you add another bank of cylinders to the Lysander, you could end up with something like I created below from your image :)

It does not look so bad with the extended cowling and granted the extra weight up front in real life might be a problem for balance but it looks better with a bigger engine.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Brian da Basher

Nice one Mr Fontaine! Gotta be one of the sharpest looking Lysanders I've seen yet!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

The extra weight/length of the engine might be compensated with a slightly longer fuselage. If this is 1/72, I might suggest the vac-form Brewster Buccaneer (Bermuda--seen below) or maybe one of those Aoshima/other Japanese 1/80 Curtiss Helldivers. Both kits have that same tail look, so you might be able to graft some extra fuselage length aft of the trailing edge of the wing and still keep the Lysander look.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Weaver

How about an un-tapered plug, extending the rear fuselage? It worked for the FW-190D......

Looking at the drawings, the "natural" break point is just behind the fin trailing edge, but that could be sorted out relatively easily.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

A twin-row engine installation on the Lizzie would be interesting, however it would not double the length of the cowling.

A Hercules power egg would fit as far as diameter is concerned, so the engine and cowling from a Beaufighter would be a good choice.

An extension to the rear fuselage would not necessarily be required as the total length would not be that much greater and the balance could probably be adjusted through equipment placement and ballasting.

The 190 radial to inline situation is a completely different kettle of fish, as the Jumo was considerably longer than the BMW and the structural design of the aircraft lent itself to that rather ugly solution.

Jon

GTX

As promised - the real retractable undercarriage Lizzie ideas:

Sorry for poor quality scans - might try again later.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Quote from: GTX on October 03, 2008, 01:17:49 PM
As promised - the real retractable undercarriage Lizzie ideas:

Sorry for poor quality scans - might try again later.

Regards,

Greg

Nice.

Interestingly, according to 'Westland Aircraft since 1915', the chief designer of the Lysander, Arthur Davenport, made the sesquiplane retract scheme part of his preliminary design.
W E W Petter as technical director of Westlands shot down the idea of retracts and opted instead for the spatted gear design that was adopted for production.

jon

elmayerle

GTX,

That scheme one is very similar to the Cessna 185RG configuration.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

jcf

A few different pics of the various armament notions.

Jon

Mossie

Great pics Jon, thanks, those'll be saved for future reference along with Gregs pics!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Jeffry Fontaine

Not too long ago I contacted another member of the WHIF forum to purchase a resin conversion kit for the Boeing XB-38 (Allison V1710 engine cowlings) which is a bit primitive when compared to the current crop of resin conversions out there.  Having no real desire to build the XB-38 which is really sleek looking I had other plans for the parts such as using them as the starting point for a turbine power egg for a couple of other projects.  This leaves me with several of the Allison engine cowlings that could be put to other uses such as a V1710 powered Lysander.  Might actually be an improvement for those special duties missions where a slightly less noisy aircraft would be at an advantage in eluding detection.  So I figured I would share that idea with you all and let your imaginations wander.

Was the Lysander ever in service with the USAAF? 

If yes, what was the designation. 

If not, what would the designation have been? 

Would it have carried an "O" number or a "U" number?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

kitbasher

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on December 24, 2008, 07:14:17 AM
Was the Lysander ever in service with the USAAF? 

Hi there,

In answer to your question, yes a number were transferred as 'reverse Lend Lease' to the USAAF as target tugs and possibly even for light comms duties.  Follow this link - http://www.controltowers.co.uk/A/Atcham.htm - for a picture.  The Mushroom Model Magazine's Lysander book (see
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/15139/Mushroom_Lysander_Cover.jpg) apparrently has at least one profile.
Like other 'reverse Lend Lease' British aircraft (eg Beaufighter, Spitfire, Mosquito, Martinet, Defiant) I don't think Lysanders were allocated type designations.

Hope this helps.  Merry Christmas  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

jcf

Twenty five Lysander TT Mk.IIIAs were supplied to the Gunnery Flights and Schools of the 8th AF in 1942 and remained in service in the UK.
The aircraft retained RAF serials and fin flashes but carried USAAF insignia.
All were returned to the RAF in 1945.
-Westland Aircraft since 1915, Derek N James, Putnam/NIP

As mentioned they did not receive a US designation.

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: kitbasher on December 24, 2008, 08:41:28 AM
Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on December 24, 2008, 07:14:17 AMWas the Lysander ever in service with the USAAF?

Hi there,

In answer to your question, yes a number were transferred as 'reverse Lend Lease' to the USAAF as target tugs and possibly even for light comms duties.  Follow this link - http://www.controltowers.co.uk/A/Atcham.htm - for a picture.  The Mushroom Model Magazine's Lysander book (see
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/15139/Mushroom_Lysander_Cover.jpg) apparrently has at least one profile.
Like other 'reverse Lend Lease' British aircraft (eg Beaufighter, Spitfire, Mosquito, Martinet, Defiant) I don't think Lysanders were allocated type designations.

Hope this helps.  Merry Christmas  ;D ;D

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 24, 2008, 09:11:41 AMTwenty five Lysander TT Mk.IIIAs were supplied to the Gunnery Flights and Schools of the 8th AF in 1942 and remained in service in the UK.
The aircraft retained RAF serials and fin flashes but carried USAAF insignia.
All were returned to the RAF in 1945.
-Westland Aircraft since 1915, Derek N James, Putnam/NIP

As mentioned they did not receive a US designation.

Thanks for the response.  The 4+ publication on the Lysander has a lot of information contained within but I don't recall seeing anything about American use so it was just one more question that needed and answer. 

Any details provided on colors for these aircraft?  The image showing the Lysander in that one link does not give much of an indication about color.