kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 02, 2009, 05:59:05 PM
Quote from: Daryl J. on January 02, 2009, 05:56:56 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a GIB? 

IIRC --  Guy In Back

Or in the case of a PR9, GIF ;)

(He sits in the 'coalhole in a PR9, behind the sideways opening nose hatch)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Shasper

Ooh, I must be sleep deprived . . . *ponders the term GIB/GIF*

Back in the day I wanted to do a Trop Moon IV of sorts based on a B-57G/PR.9 cross, wingtip slipper tanks, fuel cell in the rear of the weapons bay & a rack of LGBs up front, external pylons for more LGBs or other goodies . . . When not used as a striker the a/c would be a PR/ELINT with camera pallets & other recon essentials taking up the weaps bay & hung externally.

Shas b)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

overscan

Just a idea for markings - The UK was seriously considering sale of 16-24 Canberras to Portugal in 1962. We were concerned they might get used to repress people in Portuguese African colonies, so wanted a public statement they would only be used for defending Portugal.
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

bexwh773

Weaver, please forgive me, but, the T11 was an AIRPASS Radar trainer not a pilot trainer, that was the T4, but because of the lack of space in a Canberra airframe, unless you redesign the fuselage diameter, other than another pilot & pilot type equipment ala T4, you could not physically get a Nav / EWO in that area, hence the T17 had the Nav & EWO side by side behind the pilot.
As I say please forgive my post, Im a bit of Cranberry Geek and Ive virtually digested anything related to Cranberrys  :wub:

Darryl, heres a 72nd Canberra B6 with a T17 nose & MAD Boom sticking out her rear end.......
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22104.0.html

Bex
Becky aka Bex

Mossie

Quote from: bexwh773 on January 29, 2009, 07:52:12 AM
Ive virtually digested anything related to Cranberrys  :wub:

Bex

You must have very healthy 'water' then Bex!!! ;D ;D ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Daryl J.

Even though it may be disrespectful to the British, an unmanned Canberra would look pretty decent too either as a PR.UAV or as a guided missile even possibly featuring an extended daisy cutter out front (why put it there????.....I have no idea....but why not).   

Also, did the 4 engined conversion of the 1/48 Airfix kit ever get completed?

Bex, thanks for the link.   Your Cranberry knowledge is impressive.  Will you write a book or leaflet on it some day?

Daryl J.

bexwh773

Quote from: Daryl J. on January 29, 2009, 09:03:41 AM
Even though it may be disrespectful to the British, an unmanned Canberra would look pretty decent too either as a PR.UAV or as a guided missile even possibly featuring an extended daisy cutter out front (why put it there????.....I have no idea....but why not).   

Also, did the 4 engined conversion of the 1/48 Airfix kit ever get completed?

Bex, thanks for the link.   Your Cranberry knowledge is impressive.  Will you write a book or leaflet on it some day?

Daryl J.
Mossie, I walked right into that one didnt I  ;D   :rolleyes:

Daryl, youre most welcome  :thumbsup:  Thinking about it, I could well write a book, I certainly know where to look and I know whats already been done.

Oh one final thing, we did have unmanned Canberra's, the U.10 for the RAF for missile trials in Australia, and the Royal Navy had U.14's to shoot at from their rowing boats  ;D

Bex
Becky aka Bex

Daryl J.

^^^^

Very cool.   I was thinking canopy removed and faired over with electronic lumps and bumps in place.

Daryl J.

bexwh773

Quote from: Daryl J. on January 29, 2009, 10:18:22 AM
^^^^

Very cool.   I was thinking canopy removed and faired over with electronic lumps and bumps in place.

Daryl J.
Now that would be both very interesting and different  :thumbsup:
Bex
Becky aka Bex

Daryl J.

Some documentary had a Canberra pilot describe the PR.9 as the finest of the Canberras.   Why is that?    Did it simply fly the best of the bunch, did it have certain capabilities other variants lacked, was it simply pilot pride for his mount?   

There are a couple of Whiff ideas in mind for the PR.9 and don't really want to goof up the theory behind it as this is about as much as I'm willing to spend on any kit even for scale modeling.

TIA,

Daryl J., who didn't know where to post the question on Britmodeler because of being too new to the site.

PR19_Kit

Daryl,

The PR9 had more powerful engines, marginally larger wings and fully powered controls, thus making it the ultimate Canberra as far as the RAF was concerned.

The aircraft was capable of operating at 65000 ft, but in RAF service tended to be limited to 60000 ft because of the pilot's limits. Sharing the offset bubble canopy with the B(I)8, the PR9 had a much better view as well, although the Nav, in his 'coal hole' in the nose might have some arguements there.... :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Daryl J.

Just put in an order for the Airfix B-57B for a role in the upcoming anti piracy protection company hired to patrol the waters off the coast of Somalia.   We are going to suppose there are a few medium time airframes still in existance that get an appropriate retrofit.   Winglets, gun packs, gps, possibly extra fuel, etc.   
:cheers:,
Daryl J.

kitnut617

Quote from: Daryl J. on February 01, 2009, 12:54:26 AM
Some documentary had a Canberra pilot describe the PR.9 as the finest of the Canberras.   Why is that?    Did it simply fly the best of the bunch, did it have certain capabilities other variants lacked, was it simply pilot pride for his mount?   

According to John Adams (Aeroclub Owner) the PR.9 was the 'GT' of all the Canberras
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

[Name dropping mode on....]

While I was talking with Sqdn. Ldr. Terry Cairns, 39 (1PRU) Sqdn's display pilot for the last years of the PR9, he said that the PR9 was so powerful, even at max. weight, that he rarely needed more than 80% power to take-off, and as soon as the aircraft was airborne it was vital to get the wheels up and pitch up sharply to avoid exceeding the max. permissable speed for the gear to be retracted.

Seeing him sling a PR9 (preferably XH131...  -_-) around the sky as if it was a Hawk or Typhoon was quite a sight, one not to be seen for some while I suspect, more's the pity. And he's only 4 years younger than me for goodness sake! Terry and the Canberra both retired from the RAF at the same time, jobs well done.

And the best thing he said to me on that occasion, at RIAT 2005?

'I suppose you'd like to sit in the cockpit, wouldn't you?'  :lol: ;D

[Name dropping mode off...]

Regards
Kit