EE Canberra and Martin B-57

Started by lancer, March 04, 2004, 01:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

I've thought of a PR.9 Whiff and B-57 Whiff as some sort of hi-lo team.

Daryl J.

Daryl J.

Is there any major reason the Canberra fuselage cannot be stretched?

TIA,
Daryl J.

PR19_Kit

Daryl,

The only problem I could see would be the tail hitting the ground on rotation. It already has a bumper there to help that, but a long stretch would need longer landing gear, and the engines moved outboard to give the gear clearance to retract.

Both trifling problems to a man of your abilities of course........ ;)

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

How about a swept Canberra variant?  I'm thinking Yak-25/27/28 alike here, both bomber & fighter variant.  The P.12 was the proposed fighter variant, that might suit a swept wing. Wing spar problems would surface, but not impossible?  Taking it further, how about a delta?

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Mossie on June 12, 2009, 03:21:16 AMHow about a swept Canberra variant?  I'm thinking Yak-25/27/28 alike here, both bomber & fighter variant.  The P.12 was the proposed fighter variant, that might suit a swept wing. Wing spar problems would surface, but not impossible?  Taking it further, how about a delta?

Or how about a Canberra with the engines snuggled up next to the fuselage?  Give it bicycle landing gear and a pair of outrigger wheels. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

pyro-manic

How about retracting forwards/backwards into A-10/Harrier-style pods? More space inside the wing for fuel, and more outside for underwing pylons as well.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Rat

Quote from: TsrJoe on January 15, 2008, 08:59:30 AM
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,11825.30.html

a few possibles, eg, passenger (real project), flying boat (pre project), floatplane, etc. i like the turboprop ideas too tho, a few others my dad put together are a passenger flying boat (very 1950's!) and a swept wing type too (Martin aircraft also played with a similar design development for the B.57!)

cheers, Joe

How the H E double-hockey-sticks did I miss that post? A Canberra with a hull?! Any more pics Joe? I tinkered with the idea myself (predictably, given my history around here ;D), but to actually see one is whiffgasmic!

***removed duplicate quote***
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

GTX

Has anyone ever considered doing one of the early Canberra ideas with buried engines:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

MAD

Quote from: apophenia on June 13, 2009, 02:50:33 PM
Or engines snuggled up but with outward retracting main gear?

Looks almost like CF-100 Canuck style!

M.A.D

Daryl J.

Does any kit out there have either 1/72 or 1/48 Red Dean missiles?

TIA,
Daryl J.

Mossie

Not likely since it didn't enter service.  Thorvic has scratched some for some of his projects, he'll be able to tell you how he went about them.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Bear in mind that Red Dean changed a LOT during it's development: the final Vickers version was twice the size and weight of the original Folland one. To give you an idea, the Vickers version was about the length, weight and body diameter of an Exocet, but with much bigger wings.... :blink:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

I'm intending to make some by scale-a-rama (I believe thats the term).  I've found that by comparing lengths and diameters its possible to use different scale missiles in the scale I want.  Just need to add the fins.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

The body of Martel would make a good basis, it's about the same size & shape.  You'd just need to re-work the nose.

Mossie

I've just been reading through BSP Bombers again for the upteenth time & I came across a few snippets for Canberra in the appendices.  I've qouted them word for word from the book:

P.2   Intruder variant of Canberra, 18.5.50.

P.4   Canberra bomber development with redesigned nose, 2.5.51.

P.28  Canberra low level subsonic strike with clipped wings, 1958.  Based on B(I). Mk.8 airframe with fighter-type canopy.  P.28A span 52ft (15.8m), P.28B 41ft (12.5m), bomb load 10,000lb (4536kg), 500gal (2,274lit) tip tanks.  In April 1965 (same week TSR.2 dropped) BAC produced P.28MOD - major revision of project with Spey engines, TSR.2's forward looking terrain-following radar and large mix of underwing weapons including anit-shipping & air to air missiles.  Span 57ft (17.4m), length 72ft (21.9m), maximum take off weight 60,000lb (27,216kg), bomb load 10,000lb.  Both refurbished & new build aircraft planned.

The most interesting for me is P.26MOD, upgrading the Canberra to slot into the gap left by the TSR.2.  It's also made me think of another possibility.  Detractors of the MRCA/Tornado program called it 'Must Re-fit Canberra Again'.  Taking that at face value, what kind of mods would be needed for the Canberra to follow on from Tornado???