EE Canberra and Martin B-57

Started by lancer, March 04, 2004, 01:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Would the Spey engine fit in the Canberra nacelle?

TIA,
Daryl J.

Geoff

I was wondering if the Canberra interceptor might also have been equipped with the shorter range AAMs like Redtop and Firestreak for certain missions?
Also does anyone know if the shape of the radome had been decided? 

Mossie

Daryl, the Spey was larger than the Avon, you'd need new nacelles.  You can see this in the difference between the DH Comet (powered by Avons) & the Nimrod (powered by Speys).

Geoff, I've wondered too about other missiles.  I think that given Red Deans misgivings, that Red Top might have replaced it.  Saying that, had Red Dean gone into service with all the improvements that were touted, it should have given the P.12 a potent capability.

Using AI.18, I assume it would have adopted a similar shape to the Javelin & Sea Vixens radomes.  The three view in BSP Bombers shows a blunt radome, this same shape was used in early/prototype versions of the Javelin & Sea Vixen (AI.17 & AI.18 respectively) & was changed because it was 'too prone to erosion', according to Air Vectors.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Like this I think, it almost fits perfect:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Geoff

Thank you Mossie and Kitnut.

I suspect I may do one with Redtops and as a longer range missile, the unguided nuke tipped Genie as IIRC the RAF looked at arming the Lightning with these. (OK I may be getting confused with a Wif by "He Who Cannot Be Named Here").

GeoffP

Mossie

Does seem to be the perfect fit.  The only thing I'd say for the Canberra is that you'd need to put in a plug, the radome was of the Interceptor version was slightly longer.  This seems to fit with the real world Canberras fitted with various radar for test & training purposes, they seem to have a slight stretch to the nose.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

norseman

A Canberra was used as a flying test bed for the Olympus so there were certainly options on fitting bigger engines. The Spey project was very real and a modified nacelle had been designed. A current Canberra would be interesting with a couple of EJ200's in there!

The PR9's were also meant to have been fitted with I think the RR RB.133 which was a development of the RA.24 model Avon though I don't think any ever were.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: norseman on January 25, 2010, 09:45:31 AMA Canberra was used as a flying test bed for the Olympus so there were certainly options on fitting bigger engines. The Spey project was very real and a modified nacelle had been designed. A current Canberra would be interesting with a couple of EJ200's in there!

Maybe do a kit bash with an Airfix Tornado to get the windscreen, canopy and cockpit parts to convert it to a tandem seating arrangement similar to the Martin B-57.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

pyro-manic

What about the engine used on the new Nimrods? I think it's the RB710?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

norseman

Would need even bigger intakes than the Spey (a fair bit of jiggering around went into the Nimrod MR4's intake design), a good economical engine though. A couple of late model 17,500lb dry Spey's would do the business or the projected 17,000lb+ dry EJ2xx engines (nice and light option as well).

If production had begun for it a high performance Canberra using two RB.106's would have been a real possibility with approx 16,000lb each dry and drop in replaceable for the Avons.

Weaver

The Nimrod MRA.4 engine is the BR.715: basically a BR.710 business jet engine with a corrosion-proof LP compressor/fan stage (can't remember which) and re-arranged accessories for top & bottom access instead of top & side.

It's MUCH fatter than a Spey. The Nimrod MR.2 had the original Comet wing spars with the circular Avon holes ovalised: it's amazing that they didn't have intake problems, given how radically the duct changes section in a short distance. The MRA.4 has a complete new structure with a separate "spectacle frame" section in the spars to accomodate the much larger circular intakes and exhausts.

The BR.715 is shorter than an Avon, so in theory it could fit between the Canberra's wing spars instead of through them, but that still leaves the intake and exhaust to sort out. You'd pretty need new wing spars (no bad thing, mind you) with either two bigger rings in them or a straight front spar that crosses the intake with a fairing around it and a ring for the jetpipe at the rear.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

I think if I was to install much bigger diameter engines on a Canberra, I wouldn't mess around making 'spectacle' wing spars with all the structural problems that go with them.  I would raise the wing to the shoulder position and have a straight through spar and hang the engines under the wing.  The extended u/c could be accomodated two ways, either have them fold forward into an extended wing root (PR.9 style wing) or have them fold away like the Bristol T.188.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Chris707

I'm trying to picture a Canberra with a standard width wing but powered by the RB-57's TF33s....

Chris

DarrenP

What if the RB106 had been devloped 2 of those would have fitted the canberra as they were similar size to the Avon but produced nearly twice the power wikipedia describes the output being similar to the Gyron engine.

DarrenP