EE Canberra and Martin B-57

Started by lancer, March 04, 2004, 01:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Different fuselage cross sections.  Atlantic is circular, 707 is a very subtle double bubble. Not quite a figure 8 but not far off either.

I looked at a 707 before rejecting it and going with balsa.  And why Bob is going with a more unusual scratchbuild.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

loupgarou

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 18, 2013, 01:54:41 PM
Different fuselage cross sections.  Atlantic is circular, 707 is a very subtle double bubble. Not quite a figure 8 but not far off either.

I looked at a 707 before rejecting it and going with balsa.  And why Bob is going with a more unusual scratchbuild.
Thanks for the explanation, Wooksta, you're right.
I don't know much about which jetliners are available in 1/72, but I hope some other (suitably rounded ) model is available.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 18, 2013, 01:54:41 PM
And why Bob is going with a more unusual scratchbuild.

I found that a B-36 fuselage is almost dead on for diameter and the 3-View I'm using is from the last brochure that Avro made up and it has an slight Boeing look to the nose.  Which could also be slightly Airbus depending on which aircraft you look at.  I've modified a 737 forward fuselage to get this 'look' and I'm using a vacuform kit which has very thin styrene so is easily manipulated into a round section.  I am having to completely scratch build the rear end and the wing roots though --

The wing will be to Vulcan B.1a standard, I had been in contact with a fellow who actually took part in making the Avro brochure and did some of the drawings in it, and he told me had the Atlantic gone ahead it would have had the same Vulcan wing which would have been in production at the time.  Unfortunately, he died from cancer a couple of years ago so he never got to see what I was doing as I was building it from his suggestions and remarks.  It's sort of lanquished since then but I intend to get it finished this year.

I've got another planned, but it will be  larger. I'll be using a 767 fuselage and on the plus side, it will be much easier to build (and the fuselage is round --).  The Vulcan wing practically fits the wing root perfectly.  It will have the Vulcan B.2 wing

Here you can see the size difference, it's only a little bit longer too.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Canberra P.16.  I can't seem to find any pictures of this version online.  The only picture I have is in Chris Gibson's "Battle Flight" (and it's only a small one).

Three questions:

1. Any pictures which are larger?
2. Any three view drawings?
3. Any 1/72 scale conversions available?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

I was thinking about the Canberra with swept wings...

Has anybody considered doing any of the following: Moving the engine nacelle further back along the wing; adding larger wing-fillets; replacing the wing with a crescent wing
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on October 12, 2013, 05:41:13 PM
Canberra P.16.  I can't seem to find any pictures of this version online.  The only picture I have is in Chris Gibson's "Battle Flight" (and it's only a small one).

Three questions:

I found this by accident while looking for other Canberra stuff. I have NO idea what it's about as my Spanish/Portuguese capability is less than zero, but there's some interesting profiles on there, one of which is a P.16.

http://adolfoalfonzo.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/canberra-p12.html
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Thanks kit but a different P.16, I fear.  The real P.16 had a conical nose with a sharp conical radome, as seen in "Battle Flight".

Captain Canada

Wow...that link is really something ! Great pics...but who knows what they're talking about ! Sure have lots of whiffy goodness in there tho !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on October 18, 2013, 02:30:39 AM
Thanks kit but a different P.16, I fear.  The real P.16 had a conical nose with a sharp conical radome, as seen in "Battle Flight".

Looking at that page a few times I think that the 'P.16' on that one profile is actually a mis-print, as the others are all 'P.12's and they look exactly the same!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Daryl J.

Canberra B.2 converted to a RB-57A but with no Martin bomb bay.  Rather the bay is a changeable palate of photographic or electronic gear and fuel.   Wing tips extended.   

DarrenP

Canberra Maritime strike interdictor.

Shorts of Belfast whilst producing Canberras for the RAF looked at the Sverdlov risk and the RAF decided to use the Canberra to reinforce the Fleet Air Arms Buccaneers. Fitting the Buccaneer Radar and Nav attack system to an interdictor airframe. Initially armed with freefall Nuclear weapons they were then refitted for AS30 then martel Antiship missiles the Martel in both TV and ARM roles. They were also purchased by the German Navy. Both nations eventually replaced the Canberra with Buccaneer S2

hamsandwich

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 18, 2013, 01:08:44 AM

Three questions:

I found this by accident while looking for other Canberra stuff. I have NO idea what it's about as my Spanish/Portuguese capability is less than zero, but there's some interesting profiles on there, one of which is a P.16.

Mossie

Yes, as part of a set to do the T.19.  I've thought about about all the fighter versions in Battle Flight, but as usual, not got around to it!

Heritage Aviation do a 1/72 conversion set for the Canberra T.19 .  The P.16 would have used the same nose, but on the B(I).8 airframe.  As a bonus, the radar comes seperate so all you have to do is cut the Airifx B(I).8 nose and add it on.  A further bonus, you've then got the bomber canopy and other parts to do the P.2 from the same book, although you'd need to scratch the nose, fairing and Fireflash missiles.  It shows as limited stock so you might have to order soon.

A2Zee/Alley Cat do a similar set in 1/48 for anyone wanting to do it in the larger scale.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: hamsandwich on January 07, 2014, 03:33:22 AM

Nice find!  From what I can gather, the P.12 is correct from early drawings that I've seen and is what is available in the Freightdog conversion set.  I've seen later drawings that show a pointed radome, similar to the production Sea Vixen and Javelin.  I assume production versions would have had this radar.

The P.16 artwork appears to be the P.12 dressed up in Indian colours.  The drawing in Battle Flight shows it with an AI.23 radome, the same radar as used in the Canberra T.19 but with a fighter style canopy.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw