EE Canberra and Martin B-57

Started by lancer, March 04, 2004, 01:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

QuoteA little bit like my Indian Air Force Canberra perhaps?
Man....that is beautiful ! Love the pointy nose. Kinda looks like a 104.

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Brian da Basher

That pointy-nosed Indian Canberra is gorgeous, Spinners! You've given it a very nice look and the paintob is superb!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

lancer

Beautiful looking Canberra Spinners
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Martin H

QuoteI did not see anything in the Airfix announcement about the 1/48th scale Canberra and B-57 kits other than the UK versions and the B-57B model.  I was really hoping that Airfix would step up and provide us with a B-57G "Tropic Moon" bird as an alternative to that incredibly expensive Collectaire kit.
im betting that Airfix will leave that to the aftermarket sector. Airfix provide a base kit, the after market boys can then go to town on it.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

AeroplaneDriver

I just picked up an Italeri B-57B today and I'm thinking of the possibilities.  I love the USAF all-black scheme with red markings, so I may do a real-world build, but if I whif it I'm thinking of a long-range interceptor version with a load of AAMs in the bay and on the wings.  
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on January 07, 2008, 05:59:30 PM
I'm liking the idea of a turboprop Canberra.  My thinking is of a Carrier based multi-role aircraft used in the ASW/ASuW/Recon/Land Attack role.  I'd probably go with contra-rotating props.  Any ideas on a suitable turbo-prop engine?  Would a turbo-prop development of a RR Avon be possible?

Regards,

Greg

Tynes maybe? :o
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

elmayerle

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 07, 2008, 06:29:58 PM
Quote from: GTX on January 07, 2008, 05:59:30 PM
I'm liking the idea of a turboprop Canberra.  My thinking is of a Carrier based multi-role aircraft used in the ASW/ASuW/Recon/Land Attack role.  I'd probably go with contra-rotating props.  Any ideas on a suitable turbo-prop engine?  Would a turbo-prop development of a RR Avon be possible?

Tynes maybe?

From the standpoint of what would likely fit the nacelles, I think Darts would be the better choice over Tynes as, as far as I can tell dimensionally, Tynes would require larger nacelles.

HTH,
Evan
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Or as I said a Turboprop Avon derivative maybe?  No dimensional problems, though it would be a powerful sucker!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

Quote from: GTX on January 07, 2008, 09:58:39 PM
Or as I said a Turboprop Avon derivative maybe?  No dimensional problems, though it would be a powerful sucker!

Hmm, let me do a bit of BOTE (Back Of The Envelope) analysis, here.  For comparison purposes, the T57 turboprop derivative of the J57 developed a maximum of 15,000 shp while in dry for, the basic J57 devloped 11,000 lb. thrust.  The dry Avons (or Sapphires/J65s in the B-57) have a rating of 7500 lb. thrust.  Using the same ratio (rough, I know), that gives you a roughly 10,000 shp engine.  Given the direct conversion, the necessary direct drive nature of the turboprop (as opposed to the free turbine gearbox drive of engines like the PT6), and that most of the Avon would be reused (as opposed to the more highly developed Avon power units with a two-stage free turbine), this value seems reasonable.

Methinks that's a touch of overkill, but I can see its uses.

I'd think that the inlet, gearbox, and props from a Tyne would be a good place to start for modelling a Canberra with this engine.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

jcf

Howabout Proteus II or Eland?

Jon

GTX

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 10, 2008, 11:58:17 AM
Quote from: Aircav on January 10, 2008, 11:30:19 AM
Me thinks if you stick props onto a Canberra you will have to do something about the undercarriage height.

Yes, but if you go contra-prop with short blades it should be alright without changing them.

I had thought of that and was going with the contraprop idea already.  I was also going to measure up one of the Canberras at work to get exact dimensions.

Regards,

Greg

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on January 12, 2008, 10:28:44 AM
I was also going to measure up one of the Canberras at work to get exact dimensions.
Regards,

Greg

Neat! could you let me know what size of prop we could get away with please.

GTX

Checked today - the Canberra at work is a little over 2m from ground to centre of the intake centrebody.  Therefore propos of a radius of between 1.5m and 1.8m should be fine.

Regards,

Greg

kitnut617

Spitfire size props then! hmm! possibilities.  Thanks for the measurment GTX

Robert

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on January 14, 2008, 07:25:00 PM
I'm thinking contra-rotating and around 5 blades each.

Regards,

Greg

Absolutely  :lol:  :wub:   what type if intake, Dart/Tyne style or above/below style