EE Canberra and Martin B-57

Started by lancer, March 04, 2004, 01:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on February 24, 2015, 01:25:58 PM
Has anyone attempted to build the 1/72 Mach2 RB-57F kit?

I've started mine, and it's not too bad as Mach 2 kits go. Some fit issues and the canopy needs LOTS of polishing etc. but it's passable.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

I like the idea of that original design. That would be neat to see and I look forward to seeing the line drawings and or a kit modded !

The floatplane idea sounds pretty cool as well. The engines above the wings ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

pyro-manic

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 24, 2015, 12:50:16 PM
More than likely, sadly I don't have a copy of it. :(

Ahh, I assumed you have one. I'd scan it for you, but my copy's 200 miles away.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 24, 2015, 03:37:11 PM
Quote from: McColm on February 24, 2015, 01:25:58 PM
Has anyone attempted to build the 1/72 Mach2 RB-57F kit?

I've started mine, and it's not too bad as Mach 2 kits go. Some fit issues and the canopy needs LOTS of polishing etc. but it's passable.

Yes me too, only it got packed away for our house move a few years ago and I haven't seen it since ----  :banghead:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Thanks, another kit to add to the list. Get two, build one use other for kitbashing.

Mossie

Quote from: pyro-manic on February 24, 2015, 04:51:17 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 24, 2015, 12:50:16 PM
More than likely, sadly I don't have a copy of it. :(

Ahh, I assumed you have one. I'd scan it for you, but my copy's 200 miles away.

Courtesy of Secret Projects:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,726.30.html

And just since it was there, an early concept for a swept wing and root intakes:

On that page is a snippet from Air Vectors about the PR.9 that Kit might find interesting:
http://www.airvectors.net/avcanbra_1.html#m4

QuoteEarly concepts envisioned dramatically increasing the span, but that didn't work out structurally and aerodynamically; a new wing was designed with extended chord inboard of the engines and a span stretch of 1.15 meters (3 feet 10 inches).
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Excellent! Thanks for that Mossie.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

The other drawings from the Putnam.

The Wooksta!

TsrJoe has done quite a few of those.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

I do like the big single engine one.  :thumbsup:

Not too much work from any handy Canberra kit and I've got a few of them in The Loft.

The Aeroplane book says that the Canberra's flat topped fin and square edged wing and tail that we know so well came about by accident. Apparently the surfaces were overbalanced with the designed curved tips, as shown in the drawings above, and they were gradually chopped down until it flew right!  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 26, 2015, 02:01:32 AM

Not too much work from any handy Canberra kit and I've got a few of them in The Loft.

The Aeroplane book says that the Canberra's flat topped fin and square edged wing and tail that we know so well came about by accident. Apparently the surfaces were overbalanced with the designed curved tips, as shown in the drawings above, and they were gradually chopped down until it flew right!  ;D :lol:

The extended span PR variant with reheat to follow at some point?  ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 26, 2015, 08:17:23 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 26, 2015, 02:01:32 AM

The extended span PR variant with reheat to follow at some point?  ;)

Of COURSE!  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Question. The early Canberra B.2's were in a grey/green over white camouflage scheme. Does' anyone have any specific details on time scale in service and the "grey" colour. I'm assuming it was one of the "sea greys" rather than a WWII colour ?

I have had a look on line but haven't found much at all other than a couple of pictures on a simulator site of all things.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

The first Canberra's were delivered in Medium Sea Grey uppers with Black sides and undersurfaces. I don't know of any aircraft being Grey/Green/White at all although 73 squadron did fly white overall aircraft for a while.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

There's an XtraDecal sheet which has one with grey/green with high speed silver undersides scheme Chris, is that what you're thinking off

EDIT: (bit later).  It appears that T.17's had grey/green with white undersides, around 1962 onwards. Can't find any photos of B.2's with white undersides though. The website I found a photo of the East Midlands Aeropark T.17 of, says the T.17's were converted B.2's.

EDIT 2: (a bit later again)  Found some pics of B.2's with white undersides, seems to be around 1977/8 but could have been earlier.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/English-Electric-Canberra/2684379/&sid=31c474950751eaa24abd7a9de1768afd

1976 one

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/English-Electric-Canberra/2143720/L/&sid=31c474950751eaa24abd7a9de1768afd

This photo  was taken in 1992, I'm thinking though it might have been training squadrons that had white undersides.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/English-Electric-Canberra/1245983/L/&sid=31c474950751eaa24abd7a9de1768afd

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike