EE Canberra and Martin B-57

Started by lancer, March 04, 2004, 01:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

It is a pity.  However, I suspect, knowing how tough the Canberra is, they'll have it back up on it's undercart in no time at all.    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

Doesn't look too bad. Trick will be getting parts for an aircraft that old.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Quote from: kerick on March 08, 2019, 05:46:32 PM
Doesn't look too bad. Trick will be getting parts for an aircraft that old.

Parts from a boneyard?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

IIRC the RB-57F still used the original Canberra nose wheel design, so there'll surely be some bits available in yards around the UK if they ask nicely.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

This video from Scott Manley includes video shot from one of the NASA WB-57Fs of SpaceX's Dragon crew capsule re-entering after it's successful (unmanned) test flight to the Space Station:

https://youtu.be/Q8LUbag1bS0

WB-57 foootage from about 4:10.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Wow, that thing's certainly motoring across the sky!  :o

And very impressive camera tracking too, it was really locked on.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

USAF B-57 Combat Transport.  Found on Secret Projects and posted in a different thread, thought they belong here:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/martin-vb-57-vip-transport.13348/

Edit, duplicated an image, fixed it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

I've looked a bit closer at using a Dominie nose to create this and it's possible, with a bit of shunting and reshaping.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

They'd have needed the tip tanks to get any reasonable range I'd have thought. The pax seats are right where the fuselage fuel tanks are installed in many Canberra variants.

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Makes sense, I did wonder why they were so much larger than the standard tanks.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on June 14, 2021, 02:20:03 AM
I've looked a bit closer at using a Dominie nose to create this and it's possible, with a bit of shunting and reshaping.

Simon, the Dominie fuselage is a little bit bigger than 6'-0" diameter, the Canberra fuselage is 7'-0"
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Pellson

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 14, 2021, 06:03:05 AM
Simon, the Dominie fuselage is a little bit bigger than 6'-0" diameter, the Canberra fuselage is 7'-0"

A quick measurement on a Matchbox HS 125-600, an Airfix B(I).6 and a Matchbox PR.9 gives that the Canberras are about 1mm wider than the 125 in 1/72. I say this is very doable, if with some adapting and PSR.

Hmm.. I need to dig out my Airfix Dominie..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

The engines could also be replaced with JT8D engines (instead of thirsty J79s or their civil counterparts, the CJ805)? There are resin nacelles for the DC-9 around in 1:72...  ;)

Mossie

Quote from: Pellson on June 14, 2021, 06:27:42 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on June 14, 2021, 06:03:05 AM

A quick measurement on a Matchbox HS 125-600, an Airfix B(I).6 and a Matchbox PR.9 gives that the Canberras are about 1mm wider than the 125 in 1/72. I say this is very doable, if with some adapting and PSR.

Hmm.. I need to dig out my Airfix Dominie..

I've offered the Airfix Dominie and Italeri B-57 up to each other and they appear very  close.  I'm going to start it tonight for the 1WGB, although it'll be pushing it...

Mossie

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 14, 2021, 07:45:05 AM
The engines could also be replaced with JT8D engines (instead of thirsty J79s or their civil counterparts, the CJ805)? There are resin nacelles for the DC-9 around in 1:72...  ;)

The B-57 had J65s (license built Sapphires), so not too thirsty.  A J79 wiff wouldn't be a bad idea for something a bit more high performance, like Brian's B-57E:
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235023713-martin-b-57e-super-canberra/