Toolboxes -- whatcha got?

Started by rallymodeller, September 15, 2006, 07:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallymodeller

If moving this many times this past year has taught me one thing (it sure as hell ain't how to pack models without breaking them!) it is that a proper toolbox is essential. I thought I'd share pics of my modeling toolbox fer y'all to see:

There she be. About the size of a medium-sized suitcase. Got it from a friend who used to refinish furniture. Opens up like a dartboard (note the seam with latch in the middle, two more latches on top) to reveal...

The goodness inside! With the exception of my compressor (more about that in a minute) everything needed to finish a model kit is contained within. But what is all that junk?

1. Decal solvent and paper cups. Used to have little plastic shot glasses (medicine cups) but I ran out and have yet to find more.

2. Tamiya and Gunze paints. Mainly clears for doing stoplights and so forth on car models. There's also a bottle of MM Black Chrome there as well.

3. Tinting powders. These are really fine powders used for tinting wood stain (came with the case) but I have found them handy for doing weathering work, mainly on armour.

4. Tools #1. This flat pack contains most of my hobby knives, files, scribing templates and a few pairs of tweezers.

5. Brushes.

6. Molding clay. This is the stuff used to support and seal the edges of a model when it is being resin cast. Gets soft when hot, no oily residue. Haven't done any casting in a while, but you never know. Also handy for supporting dihedral in airplane wings until the glue sets.

7. Tools # 2. Stuff too big for the little pack. Syringes, airbrush bottles, saws, scissors and so forth. I even have a couple of packs of zip ties and a big pair of steel dividers in there. And a little packet of Band-Aids.

8. Paints. Home of the humble Humbrols. Once I'm done renovating the case these will be moved elsewhere but for now they're all just piled in willy-nilly. Two of my airbrushes are in there too, as well as a couple of packs of Tamiya weathering pastels which I have yet to use.

9. Chemicals. Big bottles of all sorts of stuff -- alcohol, two-part epoxy, thinners, and my Apoxie Sculpt.

10. Dental picks, tape and spare knife set. The lighter-coloured box on top is one of those cheapo "hobby knife sets" that we all seem to get for Christmas. The box below it has about 70 assorted dental picks. Behind all that is my sheet styrene.

11. Glue. Normally this is where my Ambroid lives, but it is in the living room right now. I usually use old Ambroid bottles for Varsol and alcohol paint thinners, and they go here too.

12. Paint markers. Storage for those Tamiya and Gundam markers. My tech pens are here as well.

13. Tubes. Storage tubes for little bits.

My airbrush compressor normally sits perfectly at #10, but it is out on loan right now.

When I do the renovation of this, 11-13 will be removed to make way for new paint storage, and the Humbrol bin will be dedicated for airbrush stuff. I also plan on cutting a hole in the back of the case for the compressor's power cord (the whole case is fake-alligator-skin-vinyl covered 1/3" plywood), as well as adding a slot on the back for my cutting mat. When loaded, it weighs around 35-40 lbs.

So that's my toolbox, anyone else?
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

John Howling Mouse

Very cool, Dr. van Helsing!   :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

Here's a pic of my toolbox. As you can see, I have various types of cutting tools, brushes and paint. You'll notice a box of toohpicks too. Very useful for stirring paint and scratching struts. At the far end is some sand paper and the envelopes are for decals I've cut for my projects.

I know, once again, I present the "low-rent" end of the spectrum.

Brian da Basher

anthonyp

That's just cool, Jeremy!  I'm nowhere near that organized, even when I was in my old house, and had to keep everything in easy to store mode.

QuoteYou'll notice a box of toohpicks too. Very useful for stirring paint and scratching struts.
I use an old Testor's paintbrush that lost all its bristles years ago.  Just dip it into the dedicated paint mixer cleaner brush cleaner bottle, and it's ready to go again.  And up till two days ago, I had ya beat on "Low Rent" modelling spaces.  My tool box WAS my modelling bench  B)

Ok, can't really see it in this pic, but I'm still using my old workbench on my new workbench, as it would take too long to sort it out.  I actually have two storage spaces for tools, as I don't trust those razor saws of mine(ripped open a finger tip really good with one once).  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Martin H

here be mine. This box is quite familer to the UK lads as it attends all most every show i go to. 100% mobile but bloody heavy at times. everything else is stored in the loft. and goes in here as and when i need it.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

AeroplaneDriver

I use a hammer and a propane torch.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Spey_Phantom

here's mine, not to big, but it has almost everything i need to get started.
got it in france a couple of years ago  B)  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

nev

Picked up this little boxy thingy from IKEA for a couple of quid.  Bottom drawer is camo paints.  Middle left is other paints.  Middle right disposable gloves (for Halfords spraying) & spare 15ml bottles (for thinner, washes etc).  Top left is assorted thinners & washes.  Top middle is sandpaper, superglue, cocktail sticks, kitchen roll, spare blades. Top right is parafilm, dusk mask, & assorted junk.  Tankard on top contains assorted paint brushes, knife, saw, tweezers, pen & pencil.  Reinforced envelope doubles as a cutting pad.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May