Main Menu

Pirates!

Started by rallymodeller, September 15, 2006, 10:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallymodeller

Ahrr, mateys! With the fast aprrroaching International Talk Like a Pirate Day on September 19, I am brought to wondering.

If there be modern pirates (say, like the old fashioned scurvy dogs, not the wee ones plaguing the Straits of Molucca) and they had aircraft, what would they be flying?

So here be the GB idea. Build and decorate ye "modern" pirate aircraft, any will do since the dawn of aviation, but the aircraft has to be justified. No F-35's or Rafales ye scalawags -- they have to actually be able to buy and maintain them. Pick a time period, pick a plane.

And have at ye!  
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

The Rat

Hmmm... PBY? Sunderland?  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Radish

Sunnerland, me mateys, arrrggghhhhh, with a full broadside to boot.

Or how about a Haseawee Marrrrrlin, aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!.
I be 'avin one of those in the loftee!!!
Arrrgh :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

GTX

How about some Japanese floatplanes 'acquired' just at the end of the war?  Maybe an A6M2-N 'Rufe' or even a Kawanishi N1K 'Rex':

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Radish

Ahhhh, they be good ideas, me hearties.

I like the porkyy rossee idea too.....thinkin' of doin' summ't daaaaaft to a SMER Walrus, y'see.

Aaaarrrgghhhhhhhh!!!!!! :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  

Gary

Arrr, the Plunderland was the pirate variation of the Sunderland...
Getting back into modeling

Leigh

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Radish

AAaaaarrrggghhhh :lol:  :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  

GeorgeC

Yarrr, and don't ye be letting those scurvy ninjas get one over on the pirate botherhood, mateys!

http://piratevninja.com/

Ta Hell wi ye!

George(IronJack)c

Daryl J.

Impossible as it may sound, I've never seen this part of the DG.   For the last few days, I've been putting together ideas for another Porco Rosso run with 'pirate-like' aircraft.   Today, Haakon ( my 3 year old son--a twin) and I were cutting sprues and cleaning up a Testors R3C-2 with intentions to build it into near-Porco standards to accompany the Fine Molds Savoia from the show.

Feel free to use any of these ideas:

Aichi Jake with sideways shooting guns in positions 2 and 3--Nichimo 1/48

Sunderland equipped like Puff the Magic Dragon in Vietnam---Airfix 1/72 [Edit: In all the excitement, the Plunderland mentioned above got missed....I bow to you!  Great name and idea. D.J.]

Ryan PT-20 with single cockpit (aft) with former cockpit used for running rum--the Smuggler--Testors 1/48  (note: Testors just raised the price 100%!!!)

Travel Air Mystery Ship with floats and a range-extending fuel tank midline.--Testors 1/48

And my favorite:  The PZL-11 with floats from a Norseman, modified wings, and full 'bad guy' status in Porco Rosso----Mirage 1/48/Modelcraft 1/48  (note: the 1/72 Heller kit is so beautifully done it may become a genuine collectors item with value several times it's initial selling cost therefore it won't be used from Ye Olde Collection)      

The PZL, the Ryan, and the Curtiss likely will get built sometime in the next 6 months in our house.    

Now, how do I join...etc.  :tornado:

:party:  :cheers:  :ar:
Daryl J.

Edit: PS--on a pirate's budget, things like the Testors/Hawk kits of Ike, Mike, Mr. Mulligan, the GeeBee, and Revell/Monogram's new Spirit of St. Louis might be inexpensive, justifyable starting points.   Or find someones discarded Accurate Miniatures Vindicator and put it on some Jake floats and equip similarly.

PPS:  Would Pirate aircraft have to be water based or could they be island based, and therefore conventional/retractable landing gear?   I've got something in mind for a Trumpeter SM-79 that I got for just a few dollars...........

philp

And don't forget the pirate aircraft of Don Carnage from TailSpin.  Some really neat ideas there.

http://talespinsourcepage.i8.com/aircraft.htm
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Daryl J.

How about a cobble-together:

Rex float requisitioned from the South Seas. Hole in float for pilot.

Mercedes engine from WW-1 with metal 3-blade prop with a counter-rotating twin blade unit mounted above wing--bare engine, dripping oil.

Corrugated wings---straight.

Butterfly tail---also corrugated.

Underwing floats shaped similar to flat P-47 belly drop tanks but made of metal mounted on single pylon.

External wiring for aileron/elevon controls.

Wings strut mounted.

6 inboard grenades for dropping on 'prey' and one forward mounted flexible Lewis MG.

Does anyone such as Evergreen or Plastruct make a corrugated sheet styrene?
Too bad the Tamiya Rex is so expensive!

Daryl J., going low-budget (well for the imaginary pirate that is)

Radish

Well m' hearties, be you remember it be pirate speak day today, so remember it, aye!!

An' another good link be Bill Barnes, so gettee searchin' round this 'ere link, aargh:

http://home.att.net/~dannysoar4/BillBarnes.htm

:ar:  :ar:  :ar:  :ar:  

jcf

Speakin' o the King a floatplanes.

This past Spring at the Galaxy Models show in Lynnwood, WA one of the local modellers, Steve Holmes, had a modified Tamiya Kyofu on display. The cockpit had been covered over and a new cockpit opening was created in the float. 'Tis very cool.

Cheers, Jon

GeorgeC

an a pirate soundttack so ye won't feel like a landlubber

http://eclectech.co.uk/piratejig.php

Yaaaaaaaaarrrr

IronJackSalmon