Messing up a Dragonfly

Started by John Howling Mouse, September 17, 2006, 05:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

So, every one of my in-progress builds was at a point where I was waiting for something or other to dry so I got antsy and pulled a 1:48 Monogram A-37 Dragonfly off the shelf.

Hmmm...how to wreck this very nice kit and subject?

How 'bout turning it into a single-seater?  Ought to be quite the challenge, especially in terms of narrowing the cockpit interior/canopy and all the wing-to-fuselage assemblies.  

So, off with the tailfin on both fuselage halves!

Draw out cut lines to remove material in order to narrow the fuselage:

Fuselage halves cleaned up in no time (well, more like 40 minutes but who's counting?)

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Resulting cockpit aperture is still too wide in my opinion but this is how it's going to be:

The really observant folks will notice all the fuselage details that I've removed to give the new aircraft a more sleek look...

Brian da Basher

Woah this is cool Baz! Looks like she could be a chase plane for your Top Secret Meteor project!

Brian da Basher

AeroplaneDriver

You know Barry, that skinny little tail is just crying out for a V-tail...

Very cool!

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Leigh

How you gonna do the canopy now?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Eddie M.

SWEEEET!!! Excellent idea!!
   Eddie
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

V-tail....hmm, Czech bird in the making?

Canopy?  We don't need no stinkin' canopy.   B)

:unsure:

Well, next round of cuts and I admit, I'm already confused.
Because I had to make such a tapered cut on the fuselage, I just presumed I'd have to taper the lower wing equally but it doesn't seem to be that way, after all.

Well, down to the bandsaw I go.  Just realized that I've previously cut off the molded-on tip-tanks on this kit anyhow (I think they went on my speed-build Mustang).  So, I'm not too worried if I botch the wing.

Naturally, I was planning on using modified wings, anyhow (some sweep).

"Off we go, into the wild styrene yonder..."

cthulhu77

Hmmm, I say, Boy, I say, Boy...how 'bout some spats?

Looking as great as usual, you whifmaster you!

The Rat

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

(Note to self; get high-speed hooked up soon, Baz gives good model.)
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

John Howling Mouse

At the last second, I lined up the fuselage inside the wing-root gap and noticed that there should indeed be a bit of a taper to the cut.

I think.

So, I change the parallel cutlines to be slightly angled.

And down to the bandsaw I went.

hmmmm....   <_<

John Howling Mouse

And, after all those last second changes, it fits up not too badly but I angled the forward cut a bit too wide as you can see the wing's leading edges are now just a bit forward-swept.  It finally occurs to me that, since the sliced inner wing cuts underneath aren't touching each other anyhow, the wing's leading edge attitude remains subject solely to the way the wing-chords fit to the fuselage.

The fuselage which, of course, I, um, tapered to be narrower toward the nose in a way the aircraft and the original kit were never intended to be.

Uh, yeah.   :dum:

My plan is to hack the wings off where they attach to the engines anyhow, so no big worries.

Pirate Knitting Needles At The Ready....!

Sentinel Chicken

What are you going to do for the canopy?

B777LR

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)