F-22 cRaptor

Started by Matt_S, September 21, 2006, 02:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

From the Lockheed 'Code One' magazine, October 1998, F-22 Design Evolution Part II.

:cheers:
Jon

nev

Very impressive - I particularly like the "60th Anniversary", nice touch b)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Jeffry Fontaine

Here is a link to his thread on PLAMO where there are many more work in progress images and comments:YF-22 to F-22A...the nightmare begins.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Hi folks,

Has anyone got the new Academy 1/48 F-22A kit?  This one:

If so, could you please tell me exactly what colour the tinted canopy is and more so, how closely it matches the real bird.

Canopy I'm talking about:

(Source)

Real bird:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Aircav

I was going to get one but I've since found out it's going to be £45 in the UK.  :banghead:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

sotoolslinger

Well I see two problems with asking about the "color" of the canopy, 1. I see 2 completely different colors in those shots of the real plane, yellowish orange and  :blink: green :huh: and B. ;D it's really hard to see what the real color of a tinted, transparent surface is(or for that matter a translucent surface) Also you can change the color ,easily , with tinted Future ;D
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

They provide two canopy sprues: one is clear, the other has a sort of amber tint in the clear.  Depending on how one paints the interior of the cockpit, it will probably make for a realistic representation of the actual aircraft.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Daryl J.

You going to model it with a firefighter cutting through the canopy with a chainsaw?  :wacko: :wacko:

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 07, 2009, 05:03:57 PMYou going to model it with a firefighter cutting through the canopy with a chainsaw?  :wacko: :wacko:

Even better would be to build it as a QF-22 TARGET Drone :^)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on March 07, 2009, 05:48:02 PM
Quote from: Daryl J. on March 07, 2009, 05:03:57 PMYou going to model it with a firefighter cutting through the canopy with a chainsaw?  :wacko: :wacko:

Even better would be to build it as a QF-22 TARGET Drone :^)

Well, that's one way to avoid the whole canopy question - did one a while back in pixels:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

I could be wrong, but weren't there two types of canopies on the real aircraft? Some with a dark tint and some with a golden tint?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Daryl J.

Coming soon to an air show near you, The Golden Tints.   The US Air Force new replacement for the well known Thunderbirds now has performances sure to amaze.  Matching their sparkling performance is the tint of their golden canopies.    Saving significant monies, the team of 6 aircraft also sets to amaze with two remotely piloted QF-22 unmanned  Raptors piloted by Jimmy "Zits" Zimmer and John "The Joystick" Coates, the teenage neighbors who are masters of the trade having already amassed thousands of hours of piloting various machines.   "It was easy and natural making the transition from computer game to real aircraft." Jimmy said while texting John next door.  "The fact that these are the newest and most expensive fighter aircraft in the inventory was a little intimidating at first, but I completely understand the risks.  I dropped and broke my iPhone when it was new so I already have some experience in that arena."  The Golden Tints youngest members are sure to be a great addition to the team.

Sure to please, the Golden Tints begin practice in late March for their new upcoming season.

noxioux

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on March 07, 2009, 07:02:20 PM
I could be wrong, but weren't there two types of canopies on the real aircraft? Some with a dark tint and some with a golden tint?

Supposedly (I am certainly no expert), the gold tinted canopies have been treated as a stealth measure to further reduce radar/em cross signature.

But since realism is for the weak-minded, we don't really need to know that.  The tinted canopy is snazzy, and therefore, it should be used.

Of course, building this thing as a target drone, smashed flat in a field somewhere, riddled with bullet holes would be a real proper way to depict this subject, IMHO.

And if the kit really does cost 45 pounds, then the end truly is upon us, my fellows.