F-22 cRaptor

Started by Matt_S, September 21, 2006, 02:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Quote from: Aircav on March 07, 2009, 12:16:44 PM
I was going to get one but I've since found out it's going to be £45 in the UK.  :banghead:

I heard it was £40 - still a lot, but it looks like a hell of a kit.  However there is a thread on BM discussing a strong rumour that Academy kits are no longer being imported into the UK due to their high price (exchange rate mainly).  I actually have one of these on order with my LHS, so we'll see...

Quote from: noxiouxSupposedly (I am certainly no expert), the gold tinted canopies have been treated as a stealth measure to further reduce radar/em cross signature

OTOH, the Lightning also had a gold tinted canopy, and it wasn't for stealth!  A sheet of gold so thin that you could see through it was placed between 2 layers of glass, and then an electric current passed through it - hey presto, instant canopy de-mister :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

pyro-manic

Forty quid???? How on earth can they justify that? :blink:

Not that I'd ever build a Raptor (can't stand the thing) but it sounds like Revell are going to shift a lot of their 1:72 kit if that's the kind of money Academy are asking...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Jeffry Fontaine

additonal images of the F-22 clear parts are available at CyberModeler and Modellversium.  The lighting and background color certainly contribute to the mystery of the actual color as Ron alluded to in his comment.

Here are links to three on-line in-box reviews from CyberModeler for anyone that is interested in knowing the differences between these three 1/48th scale models of the F-22 that are currently available:

Hasegawa F-22 cRaptor (1/48th scale kit # PT45)
Academy F-22 cRaptor (1/48th scale kit #12212)
Italeri F-22 cRaptor (1/48th scale kit # 0850)

I know there are other in-box reviews of these three subjects available but for the sake of consistency CyberModeler has demonstrated the ability to provide very good quality images of the kit contents which I feel is a benefit to anyone that is looking to see the differences between the kits. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Gary

Great! Now that we've all seen the pic of the open canopy, we all have to be killed! Stupid super duper security measures.
Getting back into modeling

nev

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 08, 2009, 08:52:23 AM
Forty quid???? How on earth can they justify that? :blink:

Not that I'd ever build a Raptor (can't stand the thing) but it sounds like Revell are going to shift a lot of their 1:72 kit if that's the kind of money Academy are asking...

Even thats over-priced @  15 quid (nearly double what Revell normally charge for a 72nd Jet)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

GTX

Err, thanks folks - to clarify my query a bit, I was aware of the gold tinting on the real bird, my query was more to the fact that the tinted canopy in the kit seemed amber (going by the online pics) whereas the real bird seems greyish with the gold tinting (if that makes sense).  Maybe I should simply but the kit and do my own comparison.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

Taiidantomcat

FB-22s The last pic is my favorite.

As for the cRaptor i think it is a machine that could use an upgrade in the looks dept. Thats what Whiffers are for!  :cheers:

***off topic content removed***
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Jeffry Fontaine

There is a rather nice group of images of the Academy 1/48th scale F-22 cRaptor in the ARC gallery this morning from a modeler in Hungary by the name of Stephen Szrna that are well worth the time taken to view. 

(image source: ARC/Stephen Szrna)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

dragon

What I can't believe is that after all that thought and work, you are just calling it CANADIAN RAPTOR :o
You know that it would have a Canadian sounding name.  I don't know:

ORCA
SASQUATCH
WOLVERINE
MOOSE
etc.

:cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

dy031101

Just finishing watching Transformer the movie, I noticed that in the battle scene near the end, several F-22s were present carrying some sort of underwing ordnances (the enclosed pic; Starscream hasn't entered the camera view yet at that point).

I suppose it's easy to imagine the ordnances as some kind of ground attack missiles since the Raptors are called in for airstrikes......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

GTX

Well there were some LO external weapons pods also designed for the F-22.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ysi_maniac

Stealth Phantom. Top drawing is 'presumably' scaleoramed from 1/100 to 1/72

Will die without understanding this world.

Captain Canada

Being a Phantom fan I like that one !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?