The First Annual Offical Five Hour Build

Started by AeroplaneDriver, September 23, 2006, 01:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Well I'm stuck in a building mode this weekend, but tomorrow is going to be spent out of town helping the Mother In Law move.  So I searched the stash for a nice easy build I can finish this evening, and decided on my Airfix 1/72 Vulcan.

Kidding- :P

I actually decided to break out one of the 1/144 RoG kits I got in England.  It was a tossup between a Hunter or the X-35.  I literally tossed a coin, and am about to start on the X-35.  I've got a nice easy scheme picked out (not gray!), that doesn't even require the airbrush.

So, at 4:45 Eastern US time I'm starting, with the goal of posting finished pics with backstory by 9:45 this evening.

Ready....

Set....

GO!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Eddie M.

Bravery and courage know no boundaries. ;)  B)
   Eddie
Look behind you!

AeroplaneDriver

Two hours 20 mins in and the fuselage is about ready to go together.  I spent a long time on the pit, since the seat was very crude.  I made it look more Martin-Bakerish with some bits of styrene and some cutting and sanding.  The kit panel decal had dials everywhere, so I found a decal from a 1/72 Tornado panel that subs for the big single screen display.

I'll post a few pics when I get the fuselage together, but right now the lovely wife is calling for me to light the grill.   :(  challenges...challenges...

John Howling Mouse

You know what?  It sometimes takes me longer than that just to BUY a model, let alone build one!    ^_^  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

AeroplaneDriver

I know I promised pics, but no time I'm afraid!

This has ended up a tight schedule since dinner took longer than expected.  Decaling may drag on past 10pm, but I still hope to be done soon.

Pics at the end!

AeroplaneDriver

Well it's 12:30 AM and I'm finished!  true, it's almost 3 hours late, making this an 8 hour build, but since dinner lasted almost 2 hours, and I've been screwing with dead camera batteries for 30 minutes, I actually managed the build in about 5:30.

I intended to make this a gear down build, but when I got to looking I realised how much better the F-35 looks with the gear up.  Plus the kit gear doors aren't that accurate (maybe for the X-35, but not for the F-35 from what I could find).  So to make it an inflight model I had to build a stand out of scraps of styrene stock.

I only have a couple of pics for tonight (like I said, dead camera batteries), but I'll post a few more tomorrow or Monday if you guys want.

The kit is almost completely OOB, with the exception of (now invisible) cockpit detailing and wingtip missile rails.  Since I didn't have time to scatchbuild 1/144 ASRAAMs, the rails are empty, but that works fine for the scheme I came up with.

Anyway, hope you guys like it.  It was a fun build!

RAF Fairford-July 2018

The 2018 Royal International Air Tattoo is a major event for the RAF.  The junior service celebrates its Centennial; 100 years since the formation of the Royal Air Force in April, 1918.

Naturally the RAF put on quite a show for the 2018 RIAT, with the newly operational Lockheed/BAE Lightning FGR.2 taking center stage.  Some readers of recent military history may remember that originally both the RAF and RN were to operate the STOVL F-35B Lightning II.  That changed in 2007, when faced with increased F-35B delays and concern about combat range, the MoD split the UK's F-35 order between the B and C models.  the RN received 54 F-35C aircraft for the Queen Elizabeth class carriers.  The change from STOVL to CATOBAR carrier design was a relatively easy one, and it gave the class over 90% commonality with the single French vessel ordered.

With the RAF reluctant to give up the STOVL capability they had pioneered, 86 F-35Bs were ordered for that service.  The F-35C entered RN service in 2015 as the Lightning FG.1, with first deliveries of the RAF's Lightning FGR.2s coming a year later.  The first operational FGR.2 squadron was No. 92 Squadron at RAF Cottesmore.  

92 Squadron fielded two Lightnings for the Centernary RIAT, one being in the new tactical gray camouflage (ZL335), the other in a silver scheme (ZL338) which paid homage to the squadron's original Lightnings.  This scheme features gloss silver paint for a natural metal look, full color roundels, the squadron's traditional blue tail(s), and the squadron Cobra symbol emblazoned down the spine of aircraft.

nev

Dammit Nick, now I need to change my boxers, and I'm at work!!!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Brian da Basher

Wow is that great, AD! Amaizing how you pulled this off in less than a day! Aren't those 1/144 kits a blast?

Brian da Basher

Shasper

You sir make that unholy POS look sexy! :wub:

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ysi_maniac

:o  :o The simplest model takes me weeks.  -_-
Will die without understanding this world.