Westland DoubleDyne

Started by Spellbinder99, September 23, 2006, 04:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spellbinder99

Two Airfix 1/72 scale Rotodynes cut and spliced into one four engined stretched fuselage development.
Eight bladed main rotor with a third tailfin added plus extendable IFR probe for range enhancement..External tanks to be added later

Colours are yet to be decided but I am thinking RAAF ARDU or even RAF Raspberry Ripple. So far it has consumed a load of Tamiya filler and spray primer with work still to come.

Developed by Westland after their Fairey takeover, the DoubleDyne was an impressive improvement in range, speed and capabilty over the basic Rotodyne.
Discuss? ;)

Cheers

Tony

John Howling Mouse

Cheers going up in Western Canada!!

This is absolutely fantastic-----love the new rotor and the additional...everything!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

seavixen

Excellent concept!

One thing though. Given the size of the rotor housing, wouldn't the third tailfin be somewhat redundant? There could also be some interference between the leading rotor blades and the fuel probe.

Anyways, as you were!  :lol:
Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

Spellbinder99

Westland intended to add a third tailfin to a stretched Rotodyne, though I only saw the details after I added the fin. The Rotodyne rotor blades were actually very stiff, so given the height above the probe and the fact they are at maximum droop as seen I think the issue is remote, but valid point......I just like the massive probes you see on IFR capable helicopters like the Chinook or CH-53.

I do think the stretched fuselage and wings give it a sleeker look, the fuselage stretch especially adding to the look, though it was not as easy as the box crosssection would have you believe.

Cheers JHM as well.

Tony

John Howling Mouse

Vertical distance b/w IFR-probe and rotor blades looks okay to me.   :blink:

Do any of the IFR-probes on Chinooks or other helos extend forward, past the span of the rotors, when in use?  They look telescoped to me.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

rallymodeller

QuoteVertical distance b/w IFR-probe and rotor blades looks okay to me.   :blink:

Do any of the IFR-probes on Chinooks or other helos extend forward, past the span of the rotors, when in use?  They look telescoped to me.
They do. They actually extend to about 160% of their original length.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Spellbinder99

As is the case in this probe. The central grey section is intended to extend out to the same length of the white aft section, thus bringing the nozzle well clear of the rotor disc.

Cheers

Tony

aerofile83

I think it looks awesome! you just don't want this to happen!

CH-53 refueling
       Irish Airforce Inc.  est 2006[/size]

GeorgeC

QuoteI think it looks awesome! you just don't want this to happen!

CH-53 refueling
All I can think of when I see that is 'But that can't happen!'  :)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Ahhh h*ll, here we go again..... cast on.... knit one, pearl one.... knit one, pearl one....

Bl**dy talented modelers.... Hmphhhhh  :angry:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Whoa..........  :o

What a way to return - not noticed you round for a while Tony :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ollie

Brian da Basher

Cool as the other side of my pillow, Spellbinder! B)

Brian da Basher

RP1

Oh me oh my.  That is *nice*.   :wub:

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

RP1 dot net
My Facebook

Eddie M.

Beautiful model and excellent vision. That's the kind of model that make JMNs wonder if he missed something in his volumes of reference guides. ;)  :lol:  B)
  Eddie  
Look behind you!