Super Challenger

Started by ysi_maniac, September 25, 2006, 01:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

Damm, that Super Challanger is awsome. I seriously love the idea of AA mountings. Maybe someone could put the idea forward to the Army???
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Brian da Basher

Wow that's really smokin'! I love your camo paintjob on it! A real eye-catcher! B)

Brian da Basher

NARSES2

QuoteWow that's really smokin'! I love your camo paintjob on it! A real eye-catcher! B)

Brian da Basher
Got to agree with Brian - the camo really makes her stand out  :wub:  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

Very nice!  Great concept too.

Even though I very rarely build armor (and have never built a 1/35), it is one of my favorite subjects to view.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

viper29_ca

Only problem I see with that T-72, where the 20mm AA guns are attached to the side of the turret, can the turret really keep up with a fast moving aircraft to actually hit it???? Thats alot of weight to be slinging around in a circle. Otherwise....its a great design!!!

I always wanted to take the chassis of a M1 Abrams, mate the turret of a SGT York, but cut down the sides of the turret, to house ground to ground missiles on one side, and ground to air missiles on the other. Change out the slow firing 40mm pom-poms for a set of faster firing 30-35mm guns, and you have a true multi-role armored vehicle, able to engage everything from soft skinned vehicles, right up to MBTs with either the 30mm, or the tube fired Hellfires, and at the same time be able to engage helos and fast movers with either the 30mm or a short - medium range SAM.  
Thanks
Scott
Elm City Hobbies

http://www.elmcityhobbies.com

ysi_maniac

QuoteOnly problem I see with that T-72, where the 20mm AA guns are attached to the side of the turret, can the turret really keep up with a fast moving aircraft to actually hit it???? Thats alot of weight to be slinging around in a circle. Otherwise....its a great design!!!

I always wanted to take the chassis of a M1 Abrams, mate the turret of a SGT York, but cut down the sides of the turret, to house ground to ground missiles on one side, and ground to air missiles on the other. Change out the slow firing 40mm pom-poms for a set of faster firing 30-35mm guns, and you have a true multi-role armored vehicle, able to engage everything from soft skinned vehicles, right up to MBTs with either the 30mm, or the tube fired Hellfires, and at the same time be able to engage helos and fast movers with either the 30mm or a short - medium range SAM.
Well, I think that your design could not accomplish your requirement because all weapons are attached to the same turret. It would not be easy to engage different targets coming from different points. :wacko: :blink:

But my SuperChallenger can  :party:  because it has two turrets and it is possible, with low technology to provide AA turret with "virtual indepence", compensating the turning of main turret. And above all, I love guns :wub: rather than missiles.

Anyway I have recently acquired an Academy Sgt York and a Tamiya Hummer with Bushmaster ... :wub:  :wacko:  :blink:

This kind of cancelled projects make ideas to boil in my mind.  :wacko:  :blink:  :wacko:  :blink:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

QuoteVery nice!  Great concept too.

Even though I very rarely build armor (and have never built a 1/35), it is one of my favorite subjects to view.
Hi Archibald and AeroplaneDriver

Try armour. What if with armour models is easy with just flat boards. You can even build a turret or a hull from scratch. With planes it is not so easy. Perhaps only JHM can ;)  

ysi_maniac

QuoteCool beans! I really like the idea of giving MBT's secondary AA capability.

Did you know the Slovakians alrezady had a prototype of such a tank? The T-72M1 Moderna:

It's got 2x20mm Oerlikon guns.
Sure. In fact, The upgrade of armour programs in former USSR all look What if programs. :rolleyes:  

Damian2

Sweet!

Thats one mean MBT!!!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

viper29_ca

QuoteQUOTE (viper29_ca @ Sep 26 2006, 03:05 PM)
Only problem I see with that T-72, where the 20mm AA guns are attached to the side of the turret, can the turret really keep up with a fast moving aircraft to actually hit it???? Thats alot of weight to be slinging around in a circle. Otherwise....its a great design!!!

Well, I think that your design could not accomplish your requirement because all weapons are attached to the same turret. It would not be easy to engage different targets coming from different points.   

But my SuperChallenger can  because it has two turrets and it is possible, with low technology to provide AA turret with "virtual indepence", compensating the turning of main turret. And above all, I love guns  rather than missiles.

Anyway I have recently acquired an Academy Sgt York and a Tamiya Hummer with Bushmaster ...   

This kind of cancelled projects make ideas to boil in my mind.     

I wasn't really thinking of engaging multiple targets at one time. My thinking was you have a pair of 30mm guns for close in air defence, as well as a short to medium range SAM for engaging aircraft at longer distances. So you could start to engage with the missile, and if the missile misses or is decepted, then you can fall back on the 30mm guns for close in work.

As well with the StoS missiles, you could engage armor out to a much longer range than the guns could hit, not to mention if you used a tube launched Hellfire varient, you could have a second party designate the target, and then your hellfires basically become fire and forget, allowing you to use the 30mm guns on closer targets and/or lighter armored targets.

Not to shoot down your idea (which I love), but who would be manning/operating the AA gun on the Chally??? I realize that its a non-manned turret, but you would have to have a second gunner to operate the AA gun if it was to operate independent of the main turret, which is fine, but it would be a tight squeeze for 5 guys in a Chally 2, as you would need 1 main gunner, 1 AA gunner, loader, and Commander, along with a driver. Unless of course you eliminate the loader and go with an auto loader like the Pnz 2000 of the German Army!!

Regardless...I love your idea of the Super Challenger
Thanks
Scott
Elm City Hobbies

http://www.elmcityhobbies.com

Hobbes

If the AA gun uses software similar to naval CIWS systems, it could be run automatically. You'd have to put the AA gun on its own turret, so it can fire in a different direction from the main gun.  

ysi_maniac

QuoteIf the AA gun uses software similar to naval CIWS systems, it could be run automatically. You'd have to put the AA gun on its own turret, so it can fire in a different direction from the main gun.
Sure,

First: we should envisage a mix system with automatic searching and tracking but correctable by gunner or comander.

Last: the AA turret is turning too, and a simple system compensates the turning of main turret.

:)  

ysi_maniac

QuoteQUOTE (viper29_ca @ Sep 26 2006, 03:05 PM)

Well, I think that your design could not accomplish your requirement because all weapons are attached to the same turret. It would not be easy to engage different targets coming from different points.   

But my SuperChallenger can  because it has two turrets and it is possible, with low technology to provide AA turret with "virtual indepence", compensating the turning of main turret. And above all, I love guns  rather than missiles.

Anyway I have recently acquired an Academy Sgt York and a Tamiya Hummer with Bushmaster ...   

This kind of cancelled projects make ideas to boil in my mind.     

I wasn't really thinking of engaging multiple targets at one time. My thinking was you have a pair of 30mm guns for close in air defence, as well as a short to medium range SAM for engaging aircraft at longer distances. So you could start to engage with the missile, and if the missile misses or is decepted, then you can fall back on the 30mm guns for close in work.

As well with the StoS missiles, you could engage armor out to a much longer range than the guns could hit, not to mention if you used a tube launched Hellfire varient, you could have a second party designate the target, and then your hellfires basically become fire and forget, allowing you to use the 30mm guns on closer targets and/or lighter armored targets.

Not to shoot down your idea (which I love), but who would be manning/operating the AA gun on the Chally??? I realize that its a non-manned turret, but you would have to have a second gunner to operate the AA gun if it was to operate independent of the main turret, which is fine, but it would be a tight squeeze for 5 guys in a Chally 2, as you would need 1 main gunner, 1 AA gunner, loader, and Commander, along with a driver. Unless of course you eliminate the loader and go with an auto loader like the Pnz 2000 of the German Army!!

Regardless...I love your idea of the Super Challenger
The crew point is good ;)  ;) But in modern MBTs the commander is able to take control of main gun. So we could envisage a system in which, on emergency, gunner and commander can share duties. So I still think that 4 crew is enought.

:)  :)

John Howling Mouse

Wow, you are definitely one talented armour-modeller-----this is amazing!
I've been looking at your model pics back and forth for ten minutes now: mesmerized!   Looks like I'll have to start a new folder on my hard-drive for your tank pics!   :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Man, I got to build one of my tanks someday!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ysi_maniac