P

First Post!! Looking for some help!

Started by pedal, September 27, 2006, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedal

Hi

My First post, and big Sup to everyone, Ive been trolling thru the photos of all the models, dreaming i was back in the 80s when i last touched glue to plastic.

I've been having a urge, to build again but something nostalgic or different.

My first choice is a Vulcan bomber  (can only find the k2 tankers)

Second choice, one of the new carriers the royal navy's getting, but i haven't been able to find any kits of one yet?

If anyone can help, I would be grateful.

Jennings

QuoteHi

My First post, and big Sup to everyone, Ive been trolling thru the photos of all the models, dreaming i was back in the 80s when i last touched glue to plastic.

My first choice is a Vulcan bomber  (can only find the k2 tankers)

Second choice, one of the new carriers the royal navy's getting, but i haven't been able to find any kits of one yet?

Welcome Pedal.  Not sure what you mean by "only the K.2".  AFAIK there has never been a kit issued with K.2 tanker parts in it.  In fact, the only relatively widely available kit of the Vulcan is the Airfix 1/72 B.2 kit, which is a beauty ("for its age"), and I heartily recommend it.

As for the RN's possible future carriers, I seriously doubt it, and if there were a kit of one, it'd likely be a cottage industry resin kit.  You might log on to www.steelnavy.com and post a question about that, but I seriously doubt there is one, since nobody yet knows what it might look like (especially the RN).

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Julhelm

For the carriers, I seriously recommend scratchbuilding them from balsa or other suitable wood using the plethora of concept art available using the tried-and-true breadn'n'butter technique.
On the bench:

Post-apocalyptic Beaufighter

AeroplaneDriver

Welome aboard Pedal!

Sorry I cant help much.  Jennings said it all about the Vulcan, unless you're thinking of the Victor K.2 kit.

As for the carriers-I wouldnt expect much in the way of kits, at least until the design is finalised.  You may already be familiar with it, but if not, this website would be a great resource for scratchbuilding a QE Class:

http://navy-matters.beedall.com/cvfmain.htm
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Captain Canada

I'd recommend buying a kit and building it....before you end up like the rest of us. Buying way more than you'll ever build.

A Vulcan would be a great bird to start with. As for modern ships and carriers, that's the beauty of WI. If you imagine it, you can do it !

:cheers:

Welcome aboard, and looking forward to seeing some progress !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Geoff_B

Welcome aboard Pedal

Yeap the Vulcan will be getting harder to find now that Airfix has gone into administration. But you may fine the odd one on the shelves at model shops or on ebay. The Revell Victor K2 is currently available but will be discontinued next year. Mach2 has issued the Valiant B1 this year but thats not recomended as a novices kit and its price would deter all but the most avid builder.

For the CVF you won't see a model kit of that for some time until the things are launched and enter service in the next 10 yrs or so. The Invincible trio have been done by Dragon/Revell in 1/700 scale so these are the only real choice for the time being.

It is possible to scracth build a CVF, but as the design is still slightly fluid until they are built so any model would just be a snap shot of the design process.

Cheers

Geoff

Hobbes

The V-vombers are also available in 1:144 from Welsh Models. They're vacform kits, though, so maybe not the best if you're just getting back into modelling

pedal

QuoteHi

My first choice is a Vulcan bomber  (can only find the k2 tankers)

Welcome Pedal.  Not sure what you mean by "only the K.2".  AFAIK there has never been a kit issued with K.2 tanker parts in it.  In fact, the only relatively widely available kit of the Vulcan is the Airfix 1/72 B.2 kit, which is a beauty ("for its age"), and I heartily recommend it.

As for the RN's possible future carriers, I seriously doubt it, and if there were a kit of one, it'd likely be a cottage industry resin kit.  You might log on to www.steelnavy.com and post a question about that, but I seriously doubt there is one, since nobody yet knows what it might look like (especially the RN).

J
Ah Typo!  I meant Victor bomber ...   and all i can find are the k.2 tankers..

And typical about the new CVF, not like the good old cold wars days, we had 3/4 different versions of everything that was merely suspected of floating on flying, and normally not one was right!!  ..

The Rat

Greetings pedal! Creativity is only limited by your imagination, my young padawan. We like to see people start with something simple, like an Airbus A380 with shoulder-mounted wings and on floats.

Failing that, pictures of scantily clad women are always welcome.  :cheers:  :dum:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

cthulhu77

Welcome to the nutfarm...you can always win points with Phantoms!
          Greg

Brian da Basher

Welcome aboard, pedal! I hope that whatever project you decide on, you'll be able to post pics on the Show Us Your Current Project thread. I find the diversity of projects on this board a constant inspiration.

If you were to ask me, I'd say add spats.

I love spats! :wub:

Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

Now, if you put spats on a TSR.2  , well....