Paint in glass jars

Started by cthulhu77, September 28, 2006, 06:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

Lucky to miss the need for stitches, but will be hitting the painkillers...uh, oh...does that mean new whiffery?

Brian da Basher

Yeeeooowwwwch Greg! I'm glad to hear no stitches were needed. I did that once and was grateful not to be cut too deeply as I didn't have any insurance at the time.

I hope you heal up quick!

Brian da Basher

Captain Canada

I wonder if there's somat you can put on the threads before you close the lid, like never-seize or pipe dope ? I've had that probelm a few times myself.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

retro_seventies

bit of vaseline seems to  work well - just rub it on the threads and things seem to stay pretty loosey goosey....just glad that you are ok greg!

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

John Howling Mouse

Happened to SuperTom awhile back, too.  He posted on another forum about it and caught some flak for it "being his own fault."

I've busted a Testors bottle or two before as well.  I use the Vaseline barrier trick on the jars now, too.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

retro_seventies

QuoteHappened to SuperTom awhile back, too. He posted on another forum about it and caught some flak for it "being his own fault."

*sigh*

that's just another reason why this is the modelling site on the web that i ever post on these days.   best hangout EVER.  :cheers:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Daryl J.

Was that opened by hand or with some kind of pliers or the like?

Reason being I'm a dentist and a cut from something like that could spell death from AIDS or Hepatitis C.

....and I have a ton of Testors' paint......

And, yes, this is the best hangout of all.   It's very rare to find detail-oriented men with open minds and a relaxed attitude.   Usually it's just the opposite.

Glad the fingers are OK!!

Daryl J.

Mossie

Hope the paws not too sore mate!

I'm glad I use Humbrol tinlets, I'm a clumsy bugger.  Luckily the worst I've done with paint pots is knocked a couple over.  I've cut myself once or twice, had a bizzare accident with a piece of broken sprue, oh yeah, & after trying to unsuccesfully heat form a piece of styrene, picked it up before I'd dunked it in water....

Simon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

anthonyp

DUDE!!   Greg, glad you don't need stitches.

I've cracked a few Testor's bottles in my time, but I've never had one blow up like that on me.  I usually use a pair of plyers to open tight ones, but when I run into one that just ain't moving, I turn the bottle upside down, and using one of those paint-mixing pipettes, squirt some air-brush thinner into the now upside-down cap.  I let it sit for a few minutes, then grab some paper towels, flip it over, let the excess and non-absorbed thinner get sopped up by the paper towel, then open with the pliers.  Haven't had a bottle break or even crack on my yet doing it that way (knock on wood).  (Shoulda mentioned I don't use Testor's acrylics.)

And yes, this site does indeed rock.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

cthulhu77

Yeah, it suprised me...I had already opened it once yesterday using the hot water method, so when it crunched in my mitts, I was quite shocked !
  Don't know my own strength.

upnorth

Nice to know you didn't need stitches.

I suppose I've been lucky to not have a similar incident.

These days, I'm using Vallejo acrylics in the plastic bottles, I can get Tamiya and model master here in the Czech Republic, but they are ridiculously expensive.

I used Model Master acrylics almost exclusively back in Canada and always cleaned the threads with a bit of Windex on a rag (both bottle and cap threads) every time before closing bottles and seldom had a sticking problem.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

lancer

After seeing the disasters from before on here, I'm damm glad I use tinlets and plastic bottles of the likd Lifecolor use

Suffice to say that I'm damm glad you didn't sustain any injuries Greg.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die