Copperhead Sloop

Started by cthulhu77, October 02, 2006, 06:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

I've been building mostly non-what-if's lately, so didn't want to clog the boards...but now I am onto a project of a fictional sloop from the late 1800's, the Copperhead.  Using the Midways ship "Sultana" as a basis, I am starting to carve away at the hull.
 First things first, though. lets make a jig!  I love using those pin formers to make a custom ship jig:

In twenty minutes or so, using some scrap poplar, we have a nice custom fitted jig, so I can start with the serious surgery:

Brian da Basher

Man Greg I just love watching you build sailing ships! Not enough folks build them. Me, I'm too much of a wuss to try.

Have you ever considered using cut guitar strings for rigging? I used .009 ones on a recent project and was pleasantly pleased with how much easier they were than other methods I've tried.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this one, Cap'n Greg!

Brian da Landlubbing Basher

The Rat

Ah yes, contour gauage. I keep saying I'll get myself one...

Keep them pics coming!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

GeorgeC

Yarr and its not even Talk Like a Pirate Day... :ar:  

Glenn

I just love sailing ships. One thing, what scale is 'The Copperhead', and what flag will be mounted at the Jack staff?
Glenn

BlackOps

Looks good Greg! I have been eyeballin' the pin formers  in the Micromark catalogs for about two or three issues now, maybe I should put it on my Christmas list this year...well ok to be honest I want about half the catalog  :lol:

I love the diversity of your builds!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Daryl J.

Alright! Wood!

I like what you're doing.

Aside:
I carved a Gloucester Schooner out of a 2X4 scrap with a belt sander, used one dowel for the masts (shaped and sized with sandpaper), rigged with thread that had come out of my winter coat, keel from ice cream sticks, and some of the lashing was made from a grocery receipt.   Total cost:  19 Cents.   It's still in the glass case in our living room.    The Chesapeake Bay Cutter didn't fare so well..........

B777LR

Looking good. Here is one of the boats i am in command of (i wasnt onboard when picture was taken). Im a sea scout.

cthulhu77

3.5 years later or so...I scratched up the main mast and the bowsprit yesterday, put on the decking and mortised out the areas for the ladders and what not:

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

cthulhu77

keel on, mast made, some preliminary paint:

lancer

Looking good greg.Those are some seriously big Main mast and bowsprit!! She'll surely fly through the water with full sail on!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

cthulhu77

added on the poop deck...

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

cthulhu77

Thanks ! Railings, stanchions and the catheads on now: