fOKKER DXXI M

Started by NARSES2, October 04, 2006, 01:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Just some initial pic's of my latest Cold War 30's stuff.

Briefly - During the massive re-armament spurt caused by "the Spitzbergen Inciident" the Dutch Navy decided to order 2 Carriers from UK yards. Although New Builds they were to be based on the RN's "Coragous" Class. Experience with these would lead to orders for a new class of carrier to be designed in domestic yards suitable for both home waters and the Dutch East Indies.

The initial air complement was to be provided by suitably modified Fokker DXXI's. The Fokker factory took 12 aircraft that had initialy been orderd by Finland
from the production line and made the necesary modifications to suit them for carrier operations. The Fin's had ordered DXXIII's to replace the last part of their order so the aircraft were available.

They were only in use for a couple of years in the late 30's but provided the fledgling Dutch Naval Air Arm with useful carrier experience until the advent of more modern types.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

The model is the MPM "Finnish" varient of the DXXI - a lovely kit (apart from the ***** resin prop hub ) With just a hook and dingy pack added from the Pavla Sea Gladiator to navalise her. Markings are from the "Dutch Defender" boxing with numerals from the Finnish kitting. As for the camo I just picked out what I thought was suitable US Grey/Blue and Intermediate Blue over Sky (all Xtracrylic)

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Final look

I've never felt comfortable with the bright copper collector rings one see's on pre-war radial models at shows (purely personal) so I've been using Tamiya bronze which gives a suitably used look in my view. Strangely I don't weather my models at all but  :dum:

Next 2 up for this scenario are Hurricane's , then I must write all this down

Chris

NARSES2

As an after thought can one of the photo-genius's out there tell this "photo-moron" the aprox distance I should hold my digi cam from the subject ? It's a Pentax Optio 430 RS - 7.6mm -22.8mm - 3x zoom - 4.0 mega pix. That last bit mean's nothing to me. I tend to use the macro

Thanks

Chris

Hobbes

Very nice!

I don't think you dan derive the minimum distance from those figures. For my camera, the minimum distance was listed in the manual, probably in the section describing the macro setting.
The first photo looks allright to me, so focussing at this distance clearly isn't a problem. The second and third photo would benefit from better lighting. Using the flash on your camera doesn't give good results for this sort of photo. I usually take photos in daylight. If that's not possible, I use several lamps, to get even lighting conditions (without shadows etc.).  

Radish

you fool you :lol:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

wolfik

great!!! the markings are something late for such a fokker but...great!
you gave me a great idea to make an aircraft on a "kaas-carrier"  ;)
Im thinking about an airabonita in netherlands markings from 1939/40 or the later "flag" from 1942...
much thanks for sharing!!!  :cheers:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

That looks really nice, Chris. Luv the 30's Cold War theme. This one sits nicely too.

And your next challenge.... is the Navalised Dewoitine D520 that replaced the Fokker in a four tone grey scheme...... WHAAAP ! Consider the gauntlet thrown  :ph34r:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ysi_maniac

QuoteIm thinking about an airabonita in netherlands markings from 1939/40 or the later "flag" from 1942...
Is there an injection model of Airabonita out there? -_-

BTW: Nice DXXI  :wub: and wonderful backstory  :wub:  :wub:    
Will die without understanding this world.

Brian da Basher

Wow Chris that's one of the coolest looking D.XXIs I've ever seen! I really like your camo on it and the color you use on the collector ring. Navalizing it was truly inspired! The backstory was a treat!

It seems we're both building D.XXIs. I'm almost finished with one I'm building. I grafted on the engine from a Stuka. It looks like we're on a wavelength here.

Great looking spats! Spats increase the coolness factor of any aircraft by 1000%!

I love spats! :wub:

Brian da Basher

Joe C-P

Glad to see someone with an appreciation for carrier birds. Fine work! And a good back story.

JoeP
B)  
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Howard of Effingham

chris, excellent stuff!

hmm, would that largish twin engined fokker have been too large for carrier ops?

trevor
Keeper of George the Cat.

Hobbes

Which one? The G.1, or D.23? Or the T.5, even?

Martin H

QuoteWhich one? The G.1, or D.23? Or the T.5, even?
i think he means the G1
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!