What if F-107D

Started by tigercat2, October 06, 2006, 08:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

I ran across this from another forum on the F-107:

http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/archi.../i_history.html

Very interesteing look at the F-107, as well as a what if B-70/X-15 Combo.

Wes

Jennings

Well I'll be horny toad.  Suddenly whiff is chic!  Who'd have ever thought it in 1978 when I did my CAF CF-16?

:)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Ollie

QuoteWell I'll be horny toad.  Suddenly whiff is chic!  Who'd have ever thought it in 1978 when I did my CAF CF-16?

Ah, we owe you everything Jennings

Without you, we were truly lost, but you showed us the Light and brought us back in tha path.

GTX

Nice find - I like the BOEING SST (Model 2700-200) in NASA colours.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mirage IV

That was me who posted the request for F-107-D ideas at the Hyperscale forum.   I was interested in the suggestion that the "D" would need the small airscoops at the rear of the fuselage that were also attached to the F-105 because of cooling problems with the engine.  Also like the 105-D, a 107-D could have an enlarged rear fuselage to house the plumbing necessary for the bigger J75-P-19W engine equipped with water injection; and perhaps a larger radar dome? It would be appropriate, too, to fill in the machine gun ports and install a single Vulcan cannon. I also liked the suggestion that the SAC FB-111s might be a source of inspiration for possible color schemes.

Another possibility is to paint (or rather mark) the aircraft like the F-105s based in Bitburg, Germany in th eearly 60s (actually, I have a decal sheet for these aircraft ). The F-107 might have filled the same nuke-strike role, carrying an atoimic "device" in the recess beneath the fuselage for "pitch and loft" delvery.  But would the F-107 have a bare metal finish, or would it have been painted silver acrylic like the Thunderchiefs? This paint was applied to mitigate the moisture problem that was affecting aircraft wiring. Could this have been an issue with the F-107 as well?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am happy to have found this forum.

Info on the F-105-D:  http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f105_5.html

elmayerle

Well, if the F-107 had been purchased, the two-seat version likely would've been bought, also, and those are perfect for Wild Weasel conversions with the ECM equipment going in the bottom portion of the centerline two-part pod.

From the Ginter book on the F-107, we know single-Vulcan fits instead of 4-20mm cannon were schemed, so that changeover might occur somewhere during a model change.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

simmie

Why Can't I get on to www.Boeing.com??

All I ever get is server not found?
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!

PolluxDeltaSeven

Welcome on board, Mirage IV!!

I really enjoy your suggestions, particullary about a European based F-107D.
Now, I ask myself about the possibilities of F-107's exportations. If it had enter production, will it be ready for the European market (instead or in complement to the F-104)??

Well, just imagine some Strike/Wild Weasel F-107G in France (replacing the F-100), some anti-ship F-107E for the German Navy, with the dark blue/light grey camo! :wub:
Or even some F-107 interceptor for Italy or Japan... :wub:  :wub:

Well, now, is there any 1/72 model of this bird?? :)  
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Mirage IV

QuoteWelcome on board, Mirage IV!!

Well, now, is there any 1/72 model of this bird?? :)

Thanks . . . and there sure is:

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=TR721605

Archibald

This plane is very interesting, but I always prefered the early variant (mockup) with the ventral air intake (from aircrafts stories)

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

jcf

QuoteNice find - I like the BOEING SST (Model 2700-200) in NASA colours.

Regards,

Greg
Hi Greg,
actually its PAN-AM...I also thought it was NASA and that is how I'll paint one of my SSTs.
I emailed the author through work and he sent me a larger copy of the SST image. I'll send you a copy.

Cheers, Jon

Mirage IV

I like that earlier varient looks nice.

Assuming the hypothetical F-107-"D" had a larger radar and nose (I read the F-105D had an enlarged nose over the "B") how would you fare
that larger nose into the lines of the aircraft? As it is, the lines of the nose naturally flow quite smoothly from the airframe. A larger nose might look awkward?

]

F-107 Plans

Mirage IV

Erik Simonsen, the author of the Boeing articles, has been trying to get his registration confirmed for some time now--no one has responded to his signing up? Can someone help him out please?

He has some ideas to share on the F-107 topic, as well as more F-107 pics.

Thanks.

Geoff_B

Can you send us his email address, due to spammers & bots i only tend to clear what appear to be valid email addresses ie a proper name. Those with wierd emails dont get past the door   :ph34r:

Sorry its so Draconian but its the only way to keep the forum free of spam posts or worst.

Geoff B