Super Mirage F1E

Started by Archibald, October 06, 2006, 01:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

On alternate history Alangua made a thread (with cool profiles) on the loser of the "deal of the century", the Mirage F1 M53. This one was a standard Mirage F1 fitted with a M53 engine, bigger rear fuselage and nose, enlarged air intakes.
An interesting aircraft to build!
The AdA planned around 40 aircrafts (in fact the end of its F1C series modified with the M53) to help exports orders...(nothing compared to the 675 F-16s of USAF) Belgium and Netherlands were the main targets.
I received my spares from Heller yesterday (Mirage 2000 air intakes and exhaust).
I found a nice drop tank for the bigger nosecone...
I've got a cool paintsheme in my mind...
some pics of the building, with one of my secret tips : I use tags for my building! It is soft, has already some glue on it (better to reinforce it with strong glue) and flexible.
Model, spares and drop tank

The building

Of course the M53 exhaust didn't fit into the F1 rear fuselage. Nevermind, I glued the forward part of the fuselage only, then forced the  rear around the exhaust. This enlarged the rear fuselage... just like Elmayerle described in the thread.
I filled the gaps with tags.

The basic plane is finished. Tags everywhere, but done nicely so there'll be no problem under a good coat of humbrol paint...

last picture : comparison with a F1CR ...
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

PolluxDeltaSeven

Wahou!! So fast a building!!!

And I just can't imagine what you'll do when you'll have putty and styrene sheets!!  :blink:  
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Mossie

Good work Archie, I'm always amazed at how quick you build.  I can't get a model out in six months, no exaggeration!

We've all had bizzare modelling accidents, but how did you manage to super glue you foot to the bench?!?!? ;)  :lol:   Hope you sorted it out okay!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

QuoteGood work Archie, I'm always amazed at how quick you build.  I can't get a model out in six months, no exaggeration!

We've all had bizzare modelling accidents, but how did you manage to super glue you foot to the bench?!?!? ;)  :lol:   Hope you sorted it out okay!
QuoteWe've all had bizzare modelling accidents, but how did you manage to super glue you foot to the bench?!?!?   Hope you sorted it out okay!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I saw it only when the photos were on the hard disk... I could have cut the photo with powerpoint, but I was lazy (this is a long and fastidious task). So you have an idea of what my foot toes (?) look like... sexy isn't it ?

I build quick because it interest me... I need motivation! On the other hand, this poor MiG 1.44 wait its demise for more than one year....  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Brian da Basher

Wow Archie you've got another sharp looking bird in the works! What kind of material did you use to fill the gaps on the fuse? It looks like some kind of duct tape. Your construction methods are wonderfully imaginative and innovative!

Brian da Basher

Archibald

It's an old stock of envelope tags my mom found somewhere. I exhausted the stock of floppy disk tags of my father :P long time ago... (my father was also exhausted :P )

anthonyp

And here I thought you found some hi-tech, really thin, flexible, composite mesh material to use.  Seriously, that stuff reminds me of what I use to patch large holes in dry wall with, just a lot thinner!  Secrets revealed, magic diminished....   B)

The plane's progressing nicely, too.  What scheme is it gonna be done up in?
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

B777LR

Archie, you need some putty! U need to feel the joy of PSR!

Archibald

I'm not the kind of person to be stuborn (in the wrong way). So yes, I recognize that putty would be useful. Don't worry guys, aparently BdB (spaaaaaaatman!!!) take care of I and Pollux...

sheme... hahahaha!!! all white (it's a french prototype) with decals from Heller Rafale-A.
As Belgium and Netherlands were the main targets (belgium had already firmed a contract for Mirage F1 before cancelling it in January 1974 or so, and Netherlands would follow because the two countries wanted the same aircraft)
they will have some of their roundels on the plane... a strange but logical sheme, reminiscent of the P.1127 or EFA...
I've just applied a coat of white paint on it...  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteI'm not the kind of person to be stuborn (in the wrong way). So yes, I recognize that putty would be useful. Don't worry guys, aparently BdB (spaaaaaaatman!!!) take care of I and Pollux...

Trust me, your supplies are enroute (including Tamiya putty)...   ;)

PD7's will be coming soon, too.

:ph34r:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Archibald

Merci monsieur! I have a mail from Pollux, he was glad of your offert :)
Very nice!  

Archibald

More pics of the F1M53

Archibald

Even more pics, this time with a "standard" F1CR...I don't know if the enlarged rear body visible  :unsure:

John Howling Mouse

Is the standard one dusty or blotchy on purpose (by painting it that way)?
Either way:  looks VERY real like that....mmmmmm   :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Archibald

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
oh my god...!!!
First I needed 2 minutes to understand the sense of your phrase (my brain had a file 404 on vocabulary).
Then, my computer was on strike for the images (that's true!). So I closed the  session, and opened the forum again.
...and I saw the picture of the F-1CT...  :huh:  :lol:

I live in an old house, and here the dust is really a (huge) pain in the... neck (don't want to angry the moderators!)

Thanks for the nice comment...

Footnote : the only model on which the dust is not a problem is obviously the  Lunar landing diorama   ;)