1/72 Fokker D.XXI bis

Started by Brian da Basher, October 07, 2006, 07:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

In the autumn of 1940 the small country of Holland was in desperate shape. Even though they had successfully countered the Nazi invasion by holding the Grebbelinie, the enemy had still managed to capture a chunk of the eastern part of the nation. The Dutch Air Force had done its best to defend against repeated bombings by the Luftwaffe, but the Heinkels, Junkers and Dorniers had managed to completely destroy the only factory in the Netherlands producing Bristol Mercury engines under license. These raids also damaged the ajoining spat works. This left the Fokker Aircraft company scrambling to produce enough of the vaunted D.XXIs to stem the tide. Fortunately, a bookish engineer named Evan Myerjaag had a solution. While the Luftwaffe raids had annihilated the only source of Bristol Mercuries, there was no shortage of  engines and spats from scores of shot-down Stuka dive bombers. With an innovative talent the Dutch are known for, Evan Myerjaag was able to mate the Stuka engines and spats to the Fokker D.XXI airframes coming off the production line, and the Fokker D.XXI bis was born. This amazing aircraft was armed with two 20 m.m. cannons in the wings and two 7.9 m.m. machine guns synchronized to fire through the propellor arc. This aircraft's speed and manoeverability allowed the Dutch to maintain control of the air over their major cities and the coolness factor of the D.XXI bis' spats often caused the Nazi Bf-109s to turn tail and run out of sheer terror in facing such an awesome machine. When asked by Luftwaffe chief Hermann Goering what was needed to bring the Dutch to heel, General Adolf Galland replied, "Herr Reichsmarschall, give me SPATS!" The example shown here was flown by the famous Dutch ace Jurgens "Domino" Haanspeet who managed to down over 35 Nazi aircraft, 7 of them through fear of the coolness factor of his spats. The Dutch managed to keep the Germans at bay which caused a coup in the Fatherland, forcing the Nazi fuhrer to abdicate and seek political asylum in the Duchy of Grand Fenwick. Years later, on his deathbead, the little corporal's last words were "Those verdammt spats!"

1st of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

After my last two projects, many of you wondered at my lack of spats and if I was feeling ok. Well, I just couldn't help myself and I was in dire need of a build that included spats! I love spats! :wub: The base kit for this project was the 1/72 Siga Models Fokker D.XXI. I'm sure this is a re-pop of some other kit as it's identical to a D.XXI I built 14 years ago. The difference with this kit is the wonderful decals, a great sheet with no less than five different options! Unfortunately, this model was minus the engine, because I swiped it for my Airfix GB P-36 SurfHawk floatplane fighter. Fortunately, I had a Stuka engine and spats left over from one of my other Airfix GB entries, the Curtiss Strike Shrike. The germ(an) of an idea was born...

2nd of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Spey_Phantom

great looking model you got there.

nice work m8  :wub:  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Brian da Basher

While the Stuka engine was hardly a natural fit to the D.XXI airframe, I was bound and determined to make it happen! As you know, I love turning radial-engined birds into inlines (and vice-versa) so I had to forge ahead. Major surgery was required, but after careful trimming with my nippers and hobby knife, I was able to join these two very dis-similar parts. Here's a head-on shot that shows off that menacing air intake on the Stuka engine.

3rd of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

This model was painted in acrylics by hand. I used Model Masters Euro Green and Dark Earth and Tamiya Buff for the uppers and Model masters RAF Sky for the undersides. The guns and exhaust were painted with Tamiya Gunmetal. The rudderstripes were handpainted using PollyScale Red and Artists Acrylics Titanium White and a mix of Titanium White and Pthalo Blue to match the Dutch Blue on the decals. It's not easy to see here, but I also touched up the orange in the center of the roundels. I elected to use these cool Dutch roundels figuring that if the Dutch had managed to hold off the Germans, they would've abandoned those neutrality triangles and reverted to more nationalistic markings. Here's an overhead view that shows off the camo paintjob.

4th of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Chap

Quote"Herr Reichsmarschall, give me SPATS!"
:lol: What a wonderful backstory Brian. I really like the Jumo engine on the Fokker. Has a P-40 look to it. Yet another spatted masterpiece!

~Steve

Brian da Basher

Here's a shot of the underside. Once I mated the Stuka engine to the D.XXI airframe, I was left with a gap under the wings and an obvious mssing step between the end of the Stuka air intake and the wing. Once again, my friend blisterpack material came to the rescue and I was able to cut a piece to size which helped blend in the engine nicely.

5th of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

Some of you may wonder why I substituted the Stuka spats for the ones that came with the kit. Well, What-If SIG master Martin had sent me pics of a spatted Hurricane which had D.XXI spats, and since I have an Airfix Hurricane in the stash (thanks, Leigh!), I decided to save the kit spats for that future project. I was concerned the Stuka spats might be too large, but they seem to balance that large engine very nicely. Here's a shot that highlights those wonderful spats.

Did I mention that I love spats? :wub:

Last of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

B777LR

too short for good looks  :P

But good for tight turning :rolleyes:

And it looks cool too

John Howling Mouse

"Your spats are complete. Indeed, your spats are powerful..."

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

lancer

Quote"Your spats are complete. Indeed, your spats are powerful..."
Brilliant!!!! Absolutely F*cuking brillaint. Haven't laughted so much for a long time
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

NARSES2

Pugnacious looking little beast Brian - love it and the back story :wub:

Just a small point but Eban Emael is in Belgium
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

That has got to be one of the coolest little Fokkers I've ever seen.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Brian da Basher

Quote<snip>

Just a small point but Eban Emael is in Belgium
Aaarrrgghhh! Great, now like my builds, my backstories are just a little off too!

Cripes, I think I'm seeing the beginning stages of dementia. Thanks for the correction, NARSES!  ^_^

Maybe I could correct it to the Grebbelinie?

Brian da Basher

Hobbes

Yes, that would be appropriate.