Meet the Hortens

Started by matrixone, October 08, 2006, 11:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

After a few set-backs I finished the DML 1/48 scale Horten Ho 229B.

Matrixone

Brian da Basher

Another masterpiece, Matrixone! I really like that camo scheme on it and I'm totally impressed by the chipping around the intakes! It's details like that which make your builds so convincing!

Brian da Basher

BlackOps

OK, that's just crazy cool :)    

I would sure hate to suck one of those aerials down that intake  :blink:

Another beautiful job on both the model and photos.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

matrixone

Thanks Brian and Jeff!

Those radar antenna spoil the sleek lines of the Horten but it does add a bit of interest to the airplane.

More pics...

Matrixone

Shasper

Stupid question, but why was the Horten fitted w/a nose gear that made it sit high?

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

matrixone

Shas,
I think the Horten brothers designed their fighters with a nose high stance so that on the take-off run when it reached flying speed it would lift off without having to rotate like other tricycle geared a/c, the two wheels at the rear of the Horten are so far back making rotation very difficult.

Matrixone

K5054NZ

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

Hortenasmic! My lordy Matrix, you should stop doing this to me. Just the one Horten IX's enough to get me going, but three of them? Hominahominahominahomina!!!!

Great work as always, so ridiculously inspiring, I simply love your dios. Fantastic. Just plane brilliance.

HORTENS!

Archibald

Lovely! The way you make "fake-but-looking-real" photos of your models always impress me!
I think I have to learn EVERYTHING on the Hortens aircrafts...
:party:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Mossie

There's alot out there Archie, but the Luft 46 site is a good starting point:
http://www.luft46.com/horten/horten.html

Sharkit do about seven Horten resin kits, some of their prototypes & some of their paper projects.  You can also find the Sharkit kits plus a few others at Lonewulf Models

You can get a fair few Ho.229 injection kits like Matrix's of several variants from various manufacturers, along with resin kits, books & other stuff from Hannants.

But you'll probably just knock your own version together anyway!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

QuoteBut you'll probably just knock your own version together anyway!

You said it !!!  :lol:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

lancer

Ye god's man that is stunning!! Superb work Matrix, the 'period' photo is so damm believeable that if I hadn't already seen your work, I'd have thought it was real. It's gotta be your best effort to date IMHO......
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

matrixone

Thanks Zac, Archibald, Mossie, and lancer!

Zac,
I was hoping you would see these Horten pics! I am also a Horten freak and love the other flying wing types such as the B-2 bomber.

Here are two more Horten pics...

Matrixone

cthulhu77

Once again, I am sitting here with my jaw on the floor.

Hey JHM, do you want to trade some yarn from your stash? I have a few colours that you might not. Have to head down to the craft store tomorrow and pick up some new needles too, mine are just too damn dull.

K5054NZ

QuoteZac,
I was hoping you would see these Horten pics! I am also a Horten freak
Wouldn;t miss it for the world mate! B) Hortens are just so damned cool. The day I get to build one will be one of the greatest in my life. I just can't wait to even hold the box of one! Never yet seen one in the flesh.

Here's hoping that the folks at the NASM get their As into G and restore Ho.IX V3.................just imagine that! :wub:  :wub:

Are there any more Hortens in the pipeline Matrix? Any chance at all of seeing a schwarm? B)  :D

If anyone happens to have a single-seater 1:72 Horten going, let me know.

matrixone

Zac,
Right now I have no more Horten kits to build. :(

However the good news is Revell has released their 1/72 scale Horten kit again and when I can I will get a couple of them. :)

Early next year I do intend to build one but might add a fin and rudder to it.

Matrixone