K

Canadian Zero!!!!

Started by K5054NZ, October 09, 2006, 02:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famvburg

The Kates were always my fav. Crossbreed of the BT-13/15 & AT-6/SNJ/Harvard.

Eddie M.

Look behind you!

famvburg

K5054NZ

The Val is featured at the first and last links above.

Great stuff, thanks a million Eddie! Unfortunately it appears ZK-ZRO underwent even more mods, such as an armored turn-over truss thing, more canopy framing, an oil cooler type-thing under the nose, and major gun barrels on the nose. What else was done, I'm not sure.

Today I've got the engine painted (matt black with silver drybrush), the silver/brown prop is done (thanks a million Brian, looks like a perfect match!) and dry-assembled the damned thing about a dozen times. I tell you, I simply can't wait to get it all together.

Lana and I are hopefully going paint shopping tomorrow (yay getting paid!) so progress can be furthered!

K5054NZ

Progress? Certainly!

The rear cockpit was covered with sheet styrene, the rear canopy fairing sanded off and  then Humbrol filler used over the old area. Sheet styrene was also used to make the rounded wingtips and the tail point. A mix of filler and styrene was used to fair in the wingroot-outer panel area.

[size=8]The Zero/Harvard compared with a stock T-6. Both are from the Academy kit.[/size]

From what I keep hearing, this is the first time someone has modelled one of these things. If this is indeed the very first, I'm ecstatic! Yay! I just hope I can do her justice.

More progress as and when.

famvburg

QuoteProgress? Certainly!

The rear cockpit was covered with sheet styrene, the rear canopy fairing sanded off and  then Humbrol filler used over the old area. Sheet styrene was also used to make the rounded wingtips and the tail point. A mix of filler and styrene was used to fair in the wingroot-outer panel area.

[size=8]The Zero/Harvard compared with a stock T-6. Both are from the Academy kit.[/size]

From what I keep hearing, this is the first time someone has modelled one of these things. If this is indeed the very first, I'm ecstatic! Yay! I just hope I can do her justice.

More progress as and when.

Well, I modeled one about 25 or so years ago. I cheated & put T-6 wings, gear & horizontals on a Zero. I also used the T-6 prop & spinner to make it a little more "T-6 like", as many on the airshow circuit then were using straight 1340s & 2 blade props.

Brian da Basher

Wow Zac that's absolutely incredible work! You are pulling this off with an artistry that's truly impressive! I have a feeling this may be one of your best builds yet!

Brian da Basher

Ollie

Getting there Zac!

:wub:  :wub:  :cheers:  

Eddie M.

Your work is very impressive! It's coming along nicely. Hopefully I'll have some pix from the Wings Over Houston airshow to share with you by this time tomorrow. :)
  Eddie
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

Holy Keerap: your work is definitely competition for anyone on this forum!!   :o  ;)

Great job, Zac!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

K5054NZ

Thanks guys.

Well fam, NYA NYA NI-NYA NYA! I did it just like the 20th Century Fox (I think) folks, so there! :P  :P

All in fun, mate. Any pics? At all?

Yes, I saw a coupla ones in Ed's pics with two-blade props. Didn't look right at all.

More progress soon. The underside has been painted grey, but I'm awaiting the arrival of a genuine Zero to provide a canopy.

wolfik

nice idea!good work! I stil have one from monogramm...yellow one!...hmhmmm

B777LR

THAT DOESNT LOOK LIKE A ZERO :P  :P  :P  Looks more like a bearcat to me :lol:  :D  

K5054NZ

Widebody - thanks for your positive feedback  <_<  <_< .

Peter, perhaps you might be the one to finally produce a conversion kit to make a TTT Zeke? How exactly would be up to you, as there are so many changed to be made that it would be practically an entirely new kit!

BlackOps

Does look like you are off to a great start Zac. I've always liked Zeros :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.