Painting rotor tips?

Started by Nick, October 10, 2006, 10:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I've been building some models! Quite a few too!

One is a helicopter in Army Air Corps service, would have been Royal Marines but no suitable decals to be found.

I know that propellor tips are usually painted in warning colours like yellow or red or white to stop people walking into them but is this done for helo rotors?

Nick B)  

Shasper

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Ollie

Usually yes for peace time use (easier to see from the air), but may be resprayed for operational flying.

Aircav

QuoteI know that propellor tips are usually painted in warning colours like yellow or red or white to stop people walking into them but is this done for helo rotors?
Or the black and white flicker  ;)  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Aircav

Nick, just paint the light colour first, let it dry and then cut some thin strips of masking tape apply over the light paint where you want the bands and then paint the darker ones just like when you are doing a prop.
All the best
Steve

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Nick

OK, going well so far. Been looking at various sets of pictures and decided that I'll paint yellow tips on the main rotor and red tips on the tail.

It seems this was the way some AAC helos circa 1980 were painted, if you know better then let me know. I can always argue it was painted my way in a combat zone... :P

Nick B)  

Mike Wren

I think main rotors have yellow tips but tail rotor have white/red/white tips  :huh:  

Aircav

Some Lynx had green tail rotors with red tips

Sir Sydney Camm

Nick

Bit late now, I've done them both yellow! She looks pretty good, just wait till she gets markings.

Thanks for the help,

Nick B)