The Boeing P-8A has been offcially named

Started by jcf, October 10, 2006, 11:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

From Boeing NewsNow:
U.S. Navy's newest maritime aircraft dubbed 'P-8A Poseidon'
P-8A program management was notified last week by the U.S. Air Force that what was once known as the Multi-mission Maritime Aircraft, or MMA, will now be known only as the P-8A Poseidon. Although the P-8A is a Navy aircraft, the Department of Defense executive agency responsible for designating and naming all aerospace vehicles is the U.S. Air Force.

Cheers, Jon

B777LR

Isnt this news a few weeks old? :blink:  :mellow:  :huh:

Or did i have a dream?

proditor

QuoteAlthough the P-8A is a Navy aircraft, the Department of Defense executive agency responsible for designating and naming all aerospace vehicles is the U.S. Air Force.

This sentence alone should say something good about the Air Force honestly.  I'm kind of surprised the Navy didn't end up with the "P-8A Squids Suck".   ;)  

jcf

QuoteIsnt this news a few weeks old? :blink:  :mellow:  :huh:

Or did i have a dream?
The P-8A designation was announced months ago, but the "popular name" announcement is new.

Spey_Phantom

QuoteU.S. Navy's newest maritime aircraft dubbed 'P-8A Poseidon'
Poseidon, wasnt that the name i gave to the maratime patrol aircraft in my syldavia story in the Alternate History thread  :blink:

looks like someone from boeing is lurking on these boards  :ph34r:

EDIT: here's a pic, the aircraft in the top corner, the posseidon MR.1

topic:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...382&hl=syldavia
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

lancer

QuotePoseidon, wasnt that the name i gave to the maratime patrol aircraft in my syldavia story in the Alternate History thread 

Perhaps the dean heads of the DoD have been surfing here for ideas??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

anthonyp

QuotePerhaps the dean heads of the DoD have been surfing here for ideas??
I fear for the aviation community, then.  Tophe's stuff would drive them insane just by looking at it  :lol:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

dragon

So a barely survivable flight in a P-8 could be called "The Poseidon Adventure"? :lol:  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Ian the Kiwi Herder

QuoteSo a barely survivable flight in a P-8 could be called "The Poseidon Adventure"? :lol:
There are, as yet undiscovered tribes deep in the heart of the New Guinea rainforest, who knew that somebody here would come-up with that......*

Ian
* Paraphrased from Blackadder - © BBC TV
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Archibald

QuoteSo a barely survivable flight in a P-8 could be called "The Poseidon Adventure"? :lol:
I have thought about that, too...there was remake of this film recently no ?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Jennings

Quotethere was remake of this film recently no ?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Yes, and it was available on DVD within minutes of its release in theatres here.  I think the less said about it, the better.  Hard to imagine a remake being worse than the original 1973 version, but apparently it was.  If it didn't have Shelly Winters in it, it would almost *have* to be better...

I'd have voted for "Neptune II", but since the original Neppie was a Lock-Mart product, I can't see Boeing going for that one very enthusiastically.  

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Ollie

So J., you're of the school of thought that thinks that we're not smart enough to find new names and we have to re-use the old ones?

<_<  :unsure:  :tornado:  

Archibald

Quotethere was remake of this film recently no ?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Yes, and it was available on DVD within minutes of its release in theatres here.  I think the less said about it, the better.  Hard to imagine a remake being worse than the original 1973 version, but apparently it was.  If it didn't have Shelly Winters in it, it would almost *have* to be better...

I'd have voted for "Neptune II", but since the original Neppie was a Lock-Mart product, I can't see Boeing going for that one very enthusiastically.  

J
Remember seeing the original in a boring Sunday afternoon... this didn't make the afternoon more interesting  <_< !!!!!
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Jennings

QuoteSo J., you're of the school of thought that thinks that we're not smart enough to find new names and we have to re-use the old ones?

<_<  :unsure:  :tornado:
I draw the line at II.  I think calling the C-17 the Globemaster III is just dumb.  Of course, I think the C-17 is dumb to start with...

:)
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Ollie