S

If I were to.....

Started by SinUnNombre, October 20, 2006, 04:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinUnNombre

If I were to re-engine a P-47D airframe with a turboprop as a Desert Storm era "Sandy", what engine would you guys suggest I use? I'm looking for something with at least 3000hp, but the more the better. I'm really fond of the Allison T56, but could I find one that would fit? Of course it will have things like chaff and flares, infared-reducing exhaust, FLIR, an all-weather targeting system, etc as well as the modern bomb and rocket loadout. It will most likely have USMC markings left over from my Academy OV-10D. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Jon

AeroplaneDriver

I've got a similar project in the works, turning a 1/32 Hase P-51 into a modern USAF Afghanistan CAS aircraft.

I'm going to scratchbuild the new front cowling, lengthening it and giving it the intake/exhaust configuration of the Pratt & Whitney Canada PW100 series engine with a 5 bladed scimitar prop.

The PW 100 series is the engine found on the Bombardier Dash 8/Embraer Brasilia/ATR/Do328 etc.  I picked this particular engine because:  1) It is produced in variants ranging from about 2000hp to 5000hp.  2) It is a reliable engine developed from the PT6, and 3) I flew DHC-8s for a while so I have lots of reference material to superdetail the engine for an open cowling display.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Mossie

Rolls Royce Tynes have a fair bit of gusto, they're good for up to 5,700hp.  They power the Transall, Atlantique, Vanguard, CL-44 & would have powered the production Rotodyne.

In 1/72 (I'm guessing that's your scale Jon) Heller do a Transall & Revell do an Atlantique (& a lovely looking Transall is it on it's way from them soon).  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

SinUnNombre

QuoteIn 1/72 (I'm guessing that's your scale Jon)
Yep, unless I specifically state otherwise, I build 1/72. The RR Tynes would definitely be a possibility. I might just have to get ahold of one of those Transalls. Even if the engine cowlings don't fit the P-47, I could send it off for Secret Santa.
That is my one big concern, getting as powerful a turboprop I can that will fit with little modification. And it has to look cool as well.

Jon

Mossie

Jon, I've a Transall in my loft that I'm planning to use for my Rotodyne build.  Without getting it down, I'm thinking that they're maybe a bit to skinny for a P-47.  I've no P-47 to compare it to, but it if you want to know before you buy a kit I can measure the engines for you.  It'll have to wait until tommorow though, my insomnia only lasts so long & the missus'll kill me if I wake her up banging around in the roof space!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

you could get the Heritage Aviation Turbo Dakota conversion.  I have one and the rear of the cowling fits straight onto the standard firewalls which I think is the same diameter as the P-47's.  You might want to put a bigger prop on it though.

:cheers: Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

Not sure about what engine to use, but I do love the idea.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

gooberliberation

Thats gonna be one uuuuugly airplane.

:wub: DO IT
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Archibald

QuoteIf I were to re-engine a P-47D airframe with a turboprop as a Desert Storm era "Sandy", what engine would you guys suggest I use? I'm looking for something with at least 3000hp, but the more the better. I'm really fond of the Allison T56, but could I find one that would fit? Of course it will have things like chaff and flares, infared-reducing exhaust, FLIR, an all-weather targeting system, etc as well as the modern bomb and rocket loadout. It will most likely have USMC markings left over from my Academy OV-10D. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Jon
Just love the idea!!! Heller flash service, 61160 Trun... that the adress you need for some spares Tynes or T-56... ^_^  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

SinUnNombre

QuoteJon, I've a Transall in my loft that I'm planning to use for my Rotodyne build.  Without getting it down, I'm thinking that they're maybe a bit to skinny for a P-47.  I've no P-47 to compare it to, but it if you want to know before you buy a kit I can measure the engines for you.  It'll have to wait until tommorow though, my insomnia only lasts so long & the missus'll kill me if I wake her up banging around in the roof space!
That would be cool, and I don't mind waiting until tomorrow. thanks in advance.

Jon

Mossie

Just measured them up Jon, 14mm at the widest point (wing joint).  They stay that width for about half the length of the engine before tapering off, you should have plenty to play with.

SinUnNombre

QuoteJust measured them up Jon, 14mm at the widest point (wing joint).  They stay that width for about half the length of the engine before tapering off, you should have plenty to play with.
Well, I just measured the P-47 fuse., and at the end its 17mm wide. So I'm not sure if I want to do the nessecary work to fit the RR Tynes. But thanks a lot Mossie. Would anyone happen to have a 1/72 C-130, P-3, etc kit with T56's that could measure those for me? Pwease? *puppy dog eyes*

Jon

kitnut617

Jon,

I measured my Hasegawa 1/72 P-47 at the point just behind the cowl flaps and it's 20mm.  

My Hasegawa 1/72 P-3 engines are 16mm at the widest point.

Hasegawa Hawkeye engines are 12mm wide

Hobbycraft Dash-8 are 12mm wide.

Italeri/Revell/Airfix Dakota 20mm

But your P-47 seems a tad undersize if it's 17mm, which kit is it?

:cheers: Robert

Edit:  But what about the engine off the Ryan XF2R Darkshark, I just measured mine, it's 19.5mm and it would have the right type propeller
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

elmayerle

How about a variation of the dual PT6 installed on Cessna 208T conversions by Soloy (?) but with a larger basic engine?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Ollie

Isn't the PW 100 a three stage centrifugal flow job?

A bit different than the PT-6 then, but still great!

:wub:  :wub: