Skylon - British Space Plane

Started by Mossie, October 23, 2006, 01:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crudebuteffective

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!

it does look familiar
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

PR19_Kit

What IS the world coming to? A UK Government funding a Research & Development programme? Wonders will never cease.....  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 24, 2013, 06:28:01 AM
What IS the world coming to? A UK Government funding a Research & Development programme? Wonders will never cease.....  :banghead:

They forgot to put his medication in the  minister's tea that morning........
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

pyro-manic

The actual funding, though, is whatever they can get in a whip-round at the Commons bar on Tuesday lunchtime. About four quid and a UKIP pin-badge...

Excellent news, though. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

As usual, I predict that they will solve all the technical problems, the project will show real promise of actually having a working engine and then it will be cancelled and everything will be cut up for scrap (or used as bins to hold scrap).  :( :(
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Alternatively, the various ministries will organise the program in such a way that it can't possibly work, with an inadequate budget, ignoring the protestations of Reaction Engines right from the start. Then when it's a few years late and a few billion over budget, the newspapers will pick up on it, thereby promoting it to the status of crisis (i.e. they'll link a minister's name to it). The program will then be re-organised along the lines that Reaction Engines suggested in the first place, given the cash it needed in the first place and a generous six months to get back on track. By herculean effort, the contractors will actually succeed in 95% of this, only for a critical report written seven months before to get leaked to the press just before an election, leading the government to panic and cancel the whole project in order to show how responsible they are with public money.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Excellent news.  The UK Government will be only part of the funding, so hopefully it won't become a politcal football.

Flight testing in 2020, probably not a new platform then?  I wonder what they're going to test it on, whiff oppurtunites there.  The SABRE is huge, in 1/72 it'd be roughly be the size of a Red Bull can.  Maybe a sub-scale unit, or mount it on an An-225?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Howard of Effingham

its an excuse to bash plastic if ever there was one....  ;D
Keeper of George the Cat.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on July 25, 2013, 02:27:48 AM
The SABRE is huge, in 1/72 it'd be roughly be the size of a Red Bull can.  Maybe a sub-scale unit, or mount it on an An-225?

Stick it in the back end of an A400M with lateral intakes?  
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on July 25, 2013, 02:27:48 AM
Excellent news.  The UK Government will be only part of the funding, so hopefully it won't become a politcal football.

Flight testing in 2020, probably not a new platform then?  I wonder what they're going to test it on, whiff oppurtunites there.  The SABRE is huge, in 1/72 it'd be roughly be the size of a Red Bull can.  Maybe a sub-scale unit, or mount it on an An-225?

I think one of the reports I've read says it's going to be a sub-scale pilotless model. Not clear whether it'll be a mini-Skylon of a different shape.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

From the article:

Reaction Engines' SABRE development program plans to flight-test the engine using an unmanned aircraft called the Nacelle Test Vehicle. The entire development program will require a consortium of companies, and Reaction Engines has been seeking partners as well as financiers.

He added that the private and government financing will take SABRE to its critical design review, mature various engine technologies and validate them within a test engine. This test engine is not a subscale version of the SABRE; rather, it is designed to validate the individual SABRE technologies and how they will interact with each other.

MikeD

Quote from: rickshaw on July 24, 2013, 07:35:24 PM
As usual, I predict that they will solve all the technical problems, the project will show real promise of actually having a working engine and then it will be cancelled and everything will be cut up for scrap (or used as bins to hold scrap).  :( :(

Not before we sell all of the data, any working prototypes that haven't been cut up and anyone who's ever worked on the project to the US for £3.50 and a big envelope of Green Shield Stamps.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

They should ask Cosford if they can borrow the Bristol 188 for those tests  ;D

Captain Canada

I love sleek space ships....I guess you have to be to leave/ re-enter the atmosphere, but still, they just look better than big squares.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?