Skylon - British Space Plane

Started by Mossie, October 23, 2006, 01:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Like sleek ships???  Here's another!

This is CFASTT-1 (Centre for Future Air-Space Transportation Technology), designed at the University of Strathclyde.    It uses the same SABRE engine and wing layout as Skylon but with a different aerodynamic profile.

I'm not sure, but Strathclyde Uni might be looking at the Skylon proposal and fleshing out a bit, certainly Reaction Engines have stated they're mostly focused on SABRE and will leave the rest to others.

Here's a fairly in depth paper with the details.  From what I can gather it's more about a computer modelling technique.
http://strathprints.strath.ac.uk/41933/1/Brown_et_al_Towards_Robust_Aero_Thermodynamic_Predictions_for_Re_Usable_Single_Stage_to_Orbit_Vehicles.pdf

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Im just perplexed as to why anyone would want to fly from Brussels to Sydney? :unsure:
Paris to Melbourne I can understand... :rolleyes: :lol:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on April 06, 2014, 04:30:02 AM
Im just perplexed as to why anyone would want to fly from Brussels to Sydney? :unsure:

Friend reading over my shoulder says he can quite understand anyone wanting to get away from Brussels (politically speaking)

How about Prestwick to Vancouver as an alternative?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

eatthis

Quote from: Mossie on April 02, 2014, 07:23:57 AM
Like sleek ships???  Here's another!

This is CFASTT-1 (Centre for Future Air-Space Transportation Technology), designed at the University of Strathclyde.    It uses the same SABRE engine and wing layout as Skylon but with a different aerodynamic profile.

I'm not sure, but Strathclyde Uni might be looking at the Skylon proposal and fleshing out a bit, certainly Reaction Engines have stated they're mostly focused on SABRE and will leave the rest to others.

Here's a fairly in depth paper with the details.  From what I can gather it's more about a computer modelling technique.
http://strathprints.strath.ac.uk/41933/1/Brown_et_al_Towards_Robust_Aero_Thermodynamic_Predictions_for_Re_Usable_Single_Stage_to_Orbit_Vehicles.pdf

i dread to think what the landing speed of them beasties is!
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

martinbayer

Quote from: eatthis on April 06, 2014, 06:34:21 AM
i dread to think what the landing speed of them beasties is!

Landing speed is projected at around 130 knots (65 m/sec) with crosswinds of up to 30 knots, according to the bottom of page 6 of the Skylon User's Manual (http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/tech_docs/SKYLON_User_Manual_rev1-1.pdf). Remember that landing mass is only a fraction of takeoff mass, and thus the wing loading at descent and landing is significantly reduced as compared to takeoff and ascent.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Madoc

Wherever you go, there you are!

zenrat

Quote from: Rheged on April 06, 2014, 06:30:17 AM

Friend reading over my shoulder says he can quite understand anyone wanting to get away from Brussels (politically speaking)

My point was neither Brussels nor Sydney are places I would want to be.
Maybe I should have said Brussels to Canberra - both have a lot in common.

UK to Australia at hypersonic speeds would be nice but how much is it going to cost?  Are these things ever likely to have cattle class tickets that the likes of me can afford?

But yeah, they do look great.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

McColm

Maybe funding from Ryan Air, they know a thing about budget airlines?

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on April 09, 2014, 10:47:37 PM

UK to Australia at hypersonic speeds would be nice but how much is it going to cost?  Are these things ever likely to have cattle class tickets that the likes of me can afford?

I suppose that a Skylon of the King's Flight might be appropriate.

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on April 10, 2014, 02:52:46 AM

George VIII one presumes ? - assuming William goes for George that is and becomes VII. Can't see it being ready before then ?  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 10, 2014, 07:00:50 AM

George VIII one presumes ? - assuming William goes for George that is and becomes VII. Can't see it being ready before then ?  :rolleyes:

Indeed.  That was exactly what I had in mind.

JayBee

My late Mother-out-law lived here in Prestwick, daughter No. 2 (my wifes older sister) lived, with family, in Vancouver. She NEVER stopped complaining that nobody flew Prestwick-Vancouver direct.  :rolleyes:

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Weaver

My point was neither Brussels nor Sydney are places I would want to be.

Maybe if you had homes in both, spending as much time as possible in a windowless, red-hot, carbon-fibre tube at 100,000 feet would be a preferable option... ;) :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Well we'll have to build at least five to maintain Britain's image in the world: one for the Sultan of Brunei, one for the Kuwaiti royal family, one for the Emir of Quatar, and two for the Saudi royal family..... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

And one for President Kylie when we become a republic...
Fred