Main Menu

Bombcord

Started by Archibald, October 26, 2006, 06:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

In spring 1982 when Argentina attacked the Falklands the recent Bombcord fleet was prepared to strike back (refuled by all the Vulcan,  Victors and VC-10 available.).
Many crash programs were setup in emergency, including Barax ECM pods and self defense AIM-9. this was tested on a raspeberry ripple Bombcord...

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Tophe

Nice camo! (I mean paint-work)... And nice canards improving the Concorde harmony :wub:  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Brian da Basher

Archie that paint scheme is 24-karat solid gold on that Concorde! Tophe's right, the addition of canards really add to the build in a poetic way! Beautiful!!!! :wub:

Brian da Basher

Archibald

The Dominie will give its decals... it already gave half of it to the P.146, but I have a plan for the bizjet :)

I need to improve some details on the paint, particularly the canards. In fact they were white, then I painted it blue, but the paint has cracked (I can't understand why!!)
Have to bought some Humbrol today...

and many thanks for the cheers comments!!  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Hobbes

I need to improve some details on the paint, particularly the canards. In fact they were white, then I painted it blue, but the paint has cracked (I can't understand why!!)
What kind of paint did you use?
an example: if the white paint was acrylic, and the blue was Humbrol enamel, you'd get this problem.  

Archibald

Yesterday evening I tried to imagine a different Black buck scenario...

In late march 1982, Argentinian troops invaded the falklands Islands. Of course, Madame Tatcher decided a military reply...
Ascension Island was to be the logistic turning point of the Corporate ops.
Right from this moment, the C-147 fleet of the RAF started to supply the Island. Taking off from Brize Norton, C-147 carried 110 tons of freight at each rotation to Wideawake airfield.
Then come the night of the 30 april 1982... First sound heard this night was the roaring of 4 CF-6s at full power. A KC-147 were starting the most daring bombing raid ever, the black buck raid!
The massive cargo climbed to 30 000 ft and headed to the falkland (flak land ?). with its 10 000 km range, it reached quietly its position 800 km north of the Island 7 hours later and started orbiting.
3 hours after its take off , the noise of four Olympus at full regime shaked wideawake airfield. But the plane was not a Vulcan (the last had been withdrawn 4 years before)... The C-147 crew anxiously waited in the night. The bomber which was flying at 60 000 ft went to 30 000 ft and joined the Tanker. 90 tons of fuel were transfered to the attacking aircraft, after what the C-147 headed back to its own flight refueling, 3000 km farther, in the direction of Ascension island...

At midnight, the TPS 43 radar noticed a big spot heading to Port Stanley. Then bombs started to fall, devastating the runway. Mirage IIIE had already been scrambled (before the bombing)  and started pursuing the intruder. But the misterious bomber had now climbed to 60 000 ft and mach 2... one after another, the Mirage ranned out of fuel without aproaching the agressor...
One of the bomb fallen on the runway was made of concrete, with the inscription "the empire strike back!"

The lone Bombcorde headed to Ascension Island, but had to refuel to a C-147 on the way to return...

Archibald

After the success of the initial raid, 3 Bombcorde were send for the black buck 2 raid.
Some of them were loaded with shrikes, others with bombs. Refueled by 7
KC-147, the attack had devastating results...

Archibald

XS 727 was the third Bombcord. It rolled off the Filton plant in october 1978 and spent it's whole career at Boscombe down, painted in raspberry ripple. In april 1982, the plane underwent many tests programs in favor of the bomcorde fleet, in preparation of the Falkland war. This included
- self defense AIM-9 (to complet the gun monted gun and turret)
- Integrated barrax ECM nacelles (to free some hardpoints for weapons and fuel) on the tail and wingtips
This added to the OMERA 40 cameras (in a nose fairing similar to the F1CR), and radars (the navigation unit was below the nose, the bombing sight below the tail)

(yes, the RAE had tested the captured La-270 long-range fighter, and after some flights it had been mounted on a pylon :)
The RAE fleet included a Canadair CL-215 and a DC-3 as duty aircrafts at the time ^_^ )

Jamatari

Nice colour scheme

James
http://www.exfix.co.uk --Kits and whatifs

seavixen

Quote(the bombing sight below the tail)

How would that work?  :o
Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

Captain Canada

Wow ! I love it, Archibald !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Archibald

Quote(the bombing sight below the tail)

How would that work?  :o
hmm stupid sentence alert!!!  :lol:
I meant the bombing radar (ala Victor)

wolfik

nice nice Archibald! :cheers:
by the way my dear....please post some pictures of this japanese !thing" behind the revell Me1099B project...
or better post pictures of all your things "seeable" in this picture and awaiting their standing ovations   :cheers:  

Archibald

Thanks Wolfik! hmm all these things have already been posted there (salvo the P.1099 which is not whatif)
On the photo you can see
- The Arado E-555 SCA. it's an Ardo flying wing bomber carrying an A-9 manned upper stage
- The japanese things are two : this is a kitbash between a Zero and a MiG-15 (both crap!). The first is a straight wing, taildrager MiG-15, the second a FSW mixed powerplant fighter  :wacko:
- You can also see my Neuron UCAV based on the... Italeri F-19 (the thread on it is quite recent, check page three or four of this section!)
- The rest are helicopters (Alouette III, Kiowa, Apache and Huey) but half of them are in poor shape (I'm not an helomaniac, this model are too weak  <_< )

I'll check the thread on the Ar E-555 SCA, and Japanese madness...

Archibald

En voila un!
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...9827&hl=555+sca
and another...
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...=11334&hl=u-666
...the Neuron UCAV
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...c=12500&hl=ucav

hmm if you are interested by another tell me :)
Plan to finish the bombcorde this afternoon