Main Menu

Bombcord

Started by Archibald, October 26, 2006, 06:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phnx28

Stunning. :wub: I was holding my breath at first since a "Bombcorde" seemed fanciful even unto Oh-Me-of-Rotary-Launcher-Armed-747s (and Il-96s :ph34r:); like was proposed in the 1980s to get bomber numbers like haven't been seen since The Biggest One, in a hurry and with as many ALCMs as possible. But this has proven most worthy, not to mention it gets my mind going about possible fighter versions of the MiG-21I Analog (a Fishbed testing a scaled-down Tu-144 Charger wing) and a "Tu-144B Brickbat" Soviet Bombcorde. :f16:  

Archibald

Sharkit have made the analog MiG-21 if you are interested...
More pics of the plane now finished. enjoy!!!

this one could become my avatar picture one day :)

Kitnut, this one is for you!!!

Et voila!!!  :)  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

ysi_maniac

I want a photo of the weapons bay, please. :cheers:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Archibald

:rolleyes: Hemmm... the weapon bay is nearly empty... in fact there's an ASMP hangued to a  structure which is (was ?) the main undercarriage pylon of a  
Italeri SR-75 Penetrator (now on a LEGO pylon)

Guys, I need your skills and tips to detail this bomb bay!!
Thanks for the beer!!!  :cheers:
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

Found this old pic of the bomb bay (the only thing which was not repainted, modified, improved on this model...)

kitnut617

This is real neat Archibold  :wub: ,  the bomb bay has had me wondering too on what it would look like.  I suspect it would be about half the height of the fuselage, the top part of the fuselage having a bunch of fuel tanks.  I think that it could have had two bomb bays, a large one in front of the main undercarriage and a smaller one behind, like a B-1B.

I also think that only the crew compartment at the front would have been pressurised and maybe there would be an equipment compartment in the tail, ground accessed by the very rear doors.  I'm going to delete the escape doors which are half way down, along with all the side windows.

:cheers: Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Archibald

I just remember that's you are also doing a bomcord, kitnut (my stupid brain  :dum: )!!!!
I located the bomb bay on the only "flat" part of the fuselage. Not easy to found a clear place to make the "hole" between the undercarriage, nose and tail... but your idea of a B-1 like double bomb-bay is cool!!

Here's a pic of the underside... (don't forget it's a Bomcord... test bed  :rolleyes: )
I realise now I could have make a much bigger weapon bay (it was my first atempt).

(I have to improve the paint on the underside, the humbrol 25 I used was crap, that's why there's two tone of blue:( )

kitnut617

Cool,

My thinking is a bomb bay about the size you have built behind the mains, and the forward bay twice as long as you have it.  I was thinking the forward bay would have two sets of doors to it.  The other thing to remember was the intended use of the Bluesteel and any derivitive of this missle.  The Bluesteel is almost the length of the space between the main and front undercarriage legs, and this with the front wheel bay moved forward 12mm as has been pointed out by a number of experts who have built this kit.

If the Bomcorde was used in the conventional manner, it would have to be able to carry at least what the Victor carried (I've read somewhere it could carry thirty 1000 pounders, ten to a rack [I read this somewhere but do you think I can find that article again], and the Vulcan could carry 21 in the more usual 7 bomb rack), as it was proposed as a replacement.

Do you have a Testors B-2 kit.  There's a rotary missle rack included which would fit right in your bomb bay.

Archibald

Maybe I can ask the rotary launcher on the swap shop :)
Interesting comments, particularly the Victor weapon load

I remember why I didn't made a longer weapon bay : it was because of the cockpit and tail fairings, I didn't wanted to cut them. Well, my bomb bay is long enough to carry an ASMP...

so your idea is moving the front wheel bay forward to dig a bomb-bay long enough to carry a Blue Steel ?
My Blue Steel (from the Airfix vulcan)  went to the TSR-2 (yes, I managed to recess it under the belly)

I plan to open a photo album in the whatif and odd ball model page (along yours) but also to ask to the members of this forum if they had already tried a Bombcorde

Do you plan any external loads on your Bombcord ?

Archibald

More things...
do you remember that ?
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...=bombcord&st=30

a third member here (Jamatari) has made its own bombcord...

Any members here has Bombcord pictures to post ???  

ysi_maniac

QuoteI just remember that's you are also doing a bomcord, kitnut (my stupid brain  :dum: )!!!!
I located the bomb bay on the only "flat" part of the fuselage. Not easy to found a clear place to make the "hole" between the undercarriage, nose and tail... but your idea of a B-1 like double bomb-bay is cool!!

Here's a pic of the underside... (don't forget it's a Bomcord... test bed  :rolleyes: )
I realise now I could have make a much bigger weapon bay (it was my first atempt).

(I have to improve the paint on the underside, the humbrol 25 I used was crap, that's why there's two tone of blue:( )
Sleeping bomber ... :o  -_-  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :P  
Will die without understanding this world.

Archibald

Just found this (Uk75 ???)

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...350&hl=bombcord

shasper, I also found your model, but the pics have disapeared... :(
Ill be glad to see your model :)  

Archibald

More external loads and some bumps added.
Harrier drop tanks, four AIM-9 to shoot down Daggers and Mirages,  ^_^ longer tailcone (RWH) and a Skyshadow pod below the rear fuselage

kitnut617

QuoteMaybe I can ask the rotary launcher on the swap shop :)
Interesting comments, particularly the Victor weapon load

I remember why I didn't made a longer weapon bay : it was because of the cockpit and tail fairings, I didn't wanted to cut them. Well, my bomb bay is long enough to carry an ASMP...

so your idea is moving the front wheel bay forward to dig a bomb-bay long enough to carry a Blue Steel ?
My Blue Steel (from the Airfix vulcan)  went to the TSR-2 (yes, I managed to recess it under the belly)

I plan to open a photo album in the whatif and odd ball model page (along yours) but also to ask to the members of this forum if they had already tried a Bombcorde

Do you plan any external loads on your Bombcord ?
Hi Archibold,

I had to go back and have a look at my model.  I haven't looked at it for quite a while as I had them packed away.  Luckily when I was moving boxes around over the weekend, I placed the box with my unfinished projects close to hand.  

I took a couple of pictures of how the Bluesteel will sit in the reccess.  It's not as long as I thought (or remember come to think).  The reason I placed it where I have is so the weight of three bombs would be closer to the main undercarriage.

http://groups.msn.com/TheWhatifandoddballm...to&PhotoID=2199

If you click on the 'next' button you can see where the #2 & #3 Bluesteels will be.
There will not be any other weapon externally.

I didn't move the front undercarriage forward because of the bomb bay, but because I have read that Airfix/Heller have got the position wrong or so the experts have said. so I moved it forward 12mm to correct the distance between the undercarriage legs.

Archibald

Very cool!
Hmm I noticed an explanation from your pictures

QuoteI have read that the RAF Concorde would not have had the drooping nose or the moving windshield. I had originally gone with the standard small windshield but then decided it did not look like the picture and it wasn't streamlined enough. Here I found that part of the B.1B windshield looked better

Now that's incredible... My bombcord too have no dropping nose!  I fixed the moving windshield in the "upper" position and to give the crew a decent vision I canted the whole cockpit downwards... (ala Su-27)
All of this because I broke the dropping system  <_<

A pity we can't expose our respective bombcords side-by-side  :(