the ultimate interceptor...

Started by Archibald, October 30, 2006, 01:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

Ok, here's my vision of what could have been the best interceptor in the late 50's.

Its overall configuration is similar to the Vautour, I mean the engines are located in underwings pods.
This free the fuselage for fuel, internal weapon carriage (less drag) a big radar and a two-man crew.
The Radar is a mix of AI-18 and AN/ASG-18. The plane carry 2 Red Deans and two AIM-47 Falcons.
Of course, it's a huge beast (around 26 m long, 16m span, 35 tons MTOW).
Engines are PS-13 Iroquois rated at 13 000 kgp and  located on pylons below a high-mounted, BIG delta wing.
The delta wing gave a big wing area, perfect for manoeuvering at very high heights. It also allowed a good load of fuel for long range...
Main undercarriage is similar to the Harrier (two main set of wheels+ outriggers)

what do you think about that ?

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Sentinel Chicken

Maybe something like this sneak peek at an illustration I'm working on:

The basic configuration you describe fits the Northrop N-126 Delta Scorpion very well. It was one of the designs to meet a specification that eventually was to be filled by the F-108 Rapier.

Paul/overscan's Secret Projects forum has had [/a][a href=\'http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=312.0\' target=\'_blank\']at least two threads that have discussed the Delta Scorpion.

Archibald

QuoteSounds a bit like the Fairey Delta IV to the TSR2 spec...
Yep, you're perfectly right.
Hmm I think sentinel chicken prepare a BIG surprise :) Do you knowif the N-126 had internal weapon carriage ?  :unsure:
I remember the F-108 had a weapon bay
Great minds think alike!!! Wiat your "profile thread" impatiently :)  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Zen

Sounds a bit like the AWA designs, 166 and 168.
To win without fighting, that is the mastry of war.

GTX

The Delta Scorpion came to my mind as well.

QuoteDo you knowif the N-126 had internal weapon carriage ?

The armament consisted of 8 GAR-1 Falcon missiles carried in a 20-foot-long weapons bay, along with 2 packs containing 24 2.75 inch FFAR rockets each that retracted into the bottom of the fuselage behind the forward landing gear.  Alternate loads included swapping the Falcons for 203 more FFARs, or installing 2 M-61 20mm rotary cannon in the weapons bay.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Archibald

Thanks guys, so I agree, I re-invented the Northrop N-126 ^_^ .
a 20 ft long weapon bay ??!!!  :huh:
Zen, the AWA had external weapon carriage, on the wingtips (which in turn would have caused a big drag problem, the red Deans were massive and bulky).

Not too difficult guessing that there's no model of the delta Scorpion available...
any dimensions / performances datas ?