Handley Page Victor

Started by wolfik, November 01, 2006, 09:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussC

Quote from: Mossie on December 06, 2011, 03:49:34 AM
That'd be a belly tank Chris! :wacko: ;) :wacko:  Saddle tanks sit over the top of the fuselage.  Slipper tanks are semi conformal with the wing & as Russ states, roughly slipper shaped.  All this for a minor slip up in terminology! :party:

Russ, the Victor Mk.2's Ram Air Turbines are in the small pop-up intakes just in front of the fin.

Ahhhh, ok. makes sense, the APU is probably back there too.

Maybe then - that mysterious wing slipper's nose is a radome or other antenna? , something that has to sit away from the main ground-plane of the machine and away from both the engines and the main electronics magnetic fields.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

kitnut617

Kit has it right, according to the book The Handley Page Victor-Vol.2 they are air samplying equipment used with the SR.  There's another photo in the book which shows both tanks had it.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on December 06, 2011, 03:49:34 AM
That'd be a belly tank Chris! :wacko: ;) :wacko:  Saddle tanks sit over the top of the fuselage.  Slipper tanks are semi conformal with the wing & as Russ states, roughly slipper shaped.  All this for a minor slip up in terminology! :party:

:banghead: :banghead: OK so I meant "conformal belly tank"  :banghead: :banghead: Getting old  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 06, 2011, 06:52:29 AM
Kit has it right, according to the book The Handley Page Victor-Vol.2 they are air samplying equipment used with the SR.  There's another photo in the book which shows both tanks had it.

Was the entire tank given over to sampling stuff Robert or were the bumps on the front the only bit and the rest given over to fuel? Those SR2 had monster bomb-bay tanks as I read, so I doubt they'd miss the wing tanks.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Aircav

Ok, it was early and I was tired, I should of typed Slipper tank but thanks for the information Chaps.
Steve
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2011, 08:40:24 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on December 06, 2011, 06:52:29 AM

Was the entire tank given over to sampling stuff Robert or were the bumps on the front the only bit and the rest given over to fuel? Those SR2 had monster bomb-bay tanks as I read, so I doubt they'd miss the wing tanks.

Had a re-read of the book (written by Roger Brooks BTW) and it says they were 'filter baskets' that were added to the front of the tanks.  These were collected immediately apon landing by a special handling crew, sealed in a special container then taken to the nearest airport and shipped back to the Lab on the quickest airline flight that was going that way.  I'm assuming the lab was in the UK and the sampling were done either down south of the equator or on the opposite side of the world going by what is written.  Most of the equipment was install in the fuselage and consisted mostly of radiation level monitoring (far as I can tell).  In all, ten Victor B.2's were converted to SR standard, with three of those fitted with the air sampling.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Found another pic of the Victor with RATOG pods on the Key Publishing forum, to add to the one that Greg posted on page four.  The same pic (but of better quality) can be found in the Aerofax guide on the Victor.
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1043286

Info on the Spectre rocket motor that was used:

Flight article in the achive with a good pic of the Spectre RATOG pod:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1958/1958%20-%200170.html
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1958/1958%20-%200171.html

There were plans to fit rockets to Vulcan's too, but only got so far as a live firing on a test rig before the V-Bomber RATOG program was cancelled.  The Flight article above suggests the Spectre pods would have been used on the Vulcan.

Another Flight archive piece with the pic shown earlier:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1960/1960%20-%201354.html?search=spectre

Pathe newsreel showing ground firing of the Spectre as used on the SR.53:
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-rocket-race/query/Havilland
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Was there ever a proposal for the Victor to carry pods either under the wings or in the bomb bay to transport troops?

KJ_Lesnick

The Handley-Page Victor is an interesting aircraft, and I'm curious about a few things while on the subject

Firstly, I did do a search on wikipedia: While it has become more reliable than it has in the past, I'd still like to verify with people who are knowledgeable about the aircraft

• Is it the longest ranged of the V-bombers?
  • Would it be considered superior to the B-47 or B-52 in terms of accuracy?
I'm curious how the maneuverability of the Victor compares to the following airplanes

• Avro Vulcan
  • B-52
  • B-47
  • F-106
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Have you attempted to:

1. Google your questions?
2. Visited library and consulted books to find your answers?

If you haven't, Kendra/Robyn you're still a long way behind.  When you have, re-ask your question, please.   :rolleyes:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 02, 2015, 02:53:44 PM
The Handley-Page Victor is an interesting aircraft, and I'm curious about a few things while on the subject

Firstly, I did do a search on wikipedia: While it has become more reliable than it has in the past, I'd still like to verify with people who are knowledgeable about the aircraft

• Is it the longest ranged of the V-bombers?
  • Would it be considered superior to the B-47 or B-52 in terms of accuracy?
I'm curious how the maneuverability of the Victor compares to the following airplanes

• Avro Vulcan
  • B-52
  • B-47
  • F-106

This might help.
http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/topic/2243/Why-three-separate-Vbombers-for-RAF#.VPUQCPnF9MA

It doesn't answer all your questions but it mentions a book that might help. The article mentions that the Vulcan was considered more manuverable than the Victor but as compared to the aircraft you mentioned that info would be hard to come by. I do recall articles mentioning that if the B-52 wanted to pull a hard turn down low it had to pull up first to keep the wingtip from touching the ground.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on February 26, 2015, 01:36:56 AM
Was there ever a proposal for the Victor to carry pods either under the wings or in the bomb bay to transport troops?

I can't recall anything like that, but a Victor B1 did carry a pair of large 'Red Neck' SLAR pods for trials, positioned where the drop tanks were carried on the K2s.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I could have sworn I posted these, and McColm replied.... :unsure:

Recently come to light on Secret Projects, I've not seen them in any publication:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

martinbayer

There's some additional explanatory text at http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6249.0
Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit