Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Definitely something like that!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

McColm

McColm

With some careful cutting I have managed to fit the Nimrod AEW nose to the Matchbox Victor. The next problem to solve is to find a canopy that fits.
An extra row of seats could be fitted to the extended cockpit.
I've used strips of plastic-card to strengthen the join and masking tape with gorilla super glue.
Might try and see if the canopy from the Airfix Nimrod MR1/MR2 fits and raise the floor accordingly when dry.

zenrat

Possibly because of the arrangement of the cockpit windows the Victor has always looked to me a bit science fictiony.
So I can imagine one with some kind of VTOL arrangement or perhaps forming the basis of a Dan Dare/Trigan Empire warplane.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: scooter on November 19, 2015, 03:32:50 PM

Something like this?

I think you could extend the bulge further back Scoot', the front of the bomb bay is further to the rear. Also not any lower than the forward fuselage.  Looking at pics of Victors with Blue Steel would give you an idea just what you could get for ground/rotation clearance.

But personally, I don't think the Victor would be a very good fire bomber, the reason it ended up being the RAF's tanker and not the Vulcan, is because it's wing didn't do very well at low level ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Quote from: zenrat on November 20, 2015, 03:00:03 AM
Possibly because of the arrangement of the cockpit windows the Victor has always looked to me a bit science fictiony.
So I can imagine one with some kind of VTOL arrangement or perhaps forming the basis of a Dan Dare/Trigan Empire warplane.

I've stumbled on a radical cockpit canopy from the Academy KC-97L kit. It's the boom operators' position. This comes in clear plastic, but gives the appearance of a single seat similar to a bubble canopy as used by the Spitfire two seater variant.
I'll mask out areas to represent windows and buy some after market resin seats, I think While Ensign do a cockpit detailing set.

McColm

Quote from: Mossie on January 04, 2010, 08:28:52 AM
I wonder how well Cammet's Nimrod AEW.3 conversion would fit the Victor???
Good fit at the rear, front needs a bit of trimming to fit, currently building the AEW variant.

McColm

Been looking for suitable colour schemes, the USCoast Guard appeals to me in an odd way.
T-tail in position, bit of a pain gluing up. Sanded down rear tail cone.Drill holes would make great windows or heat exhaust pipes. Also working on the wing assembly. I think the Nimrod ESM pods will fit on the wing tips. Might blank out cockpit windows as weight is needed in the nose to prevent a tail sitter.

Mossie

Quote from: McColm on November 22, 2015, 11:17:54 PM
Good fit at the rear, front needs a bit of trimming to fit, currently building the AEW variant.

Ooh, that'll be good when it's finished! :party: :party: :party:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Quote from: Mossie on November 25, 2015, 05:38:20 AM
Quote from: McColm on November 22, 2015, 11:17:54 PM
got a picture on my blog page of the build so far.

Ooh, that'll be good when it's finished! :party: :party: :party:

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on January 29, 2016, 06:03:45 AM
Got a link?

Capt's posted a link on McColm's Blog page on here mate
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

What about the bomb bays ? I don't have any info on them. Did they have regular doors and a rotary system ? I see the recon pannier pics and it looks like it rotates, or the doors open and slide inside.....the pics a few pages back were helpful, especially the fuel pod bomb carriers.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

IIRC they're similar to the Vulcans in that they open and slide right up inside the fuselage structure. The problem with pics of the Victor's bomb bay doors is that the darn thing is so low to the ground, and the nose bulges downward right in front of it, that you can't get a decent look at it.

Most of the pics you find if you Google it are of models, which really isn't much help, but I did find one or two that give you an idea. Interestingly it looks as if they took the doors right off to load the Yellow Sun weapon, it's ENORMOUS!

The pics will come along when ImageShack get their act together.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

What was the plane's maximum g-load and low-level speed?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.