1/24 TSR2!!!

Started by Mossie, November 02, 2006, 07:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freightdog862

I spoke to Jon Freeman yesterday, who has done the Lanc decals, it comes with an A4 Fantasy screen printed sheet with roundels the size of coffee cups!!
My wife says I can't have one, end of conversation.
Colin

B777LR

Quote1/144 TSR.2  :wub:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

nev

Quote(1:24 TSR? Good grief, where would I park such a beast?)
You see THAT as a problem? How about where to park a 1/24 LAncaster!
The TSR2 is 20 feet longer than a Lanc....roughly a foot longer in 1/24  :o  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

DamienB

QuoteDon't suppose anyone's doping a 1/144 TSR2? :(
Been done - I made one a few years back for some online modelling site. Can't seem to find the review now though...

GTX

QuoteGood grief, where would I park such a beast?

Well luckily, I have 5 acres (that's a little over 2 hectares), so feel free to send them my way :D .

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Hobbes

I think I saw that review. I tried finding this kit about 2 years ago. Found 1 shop that listed it, but they'd long since sold the last of them, and the guy who made them had quit.  

Martin H

QuoteThanks, I'll stick to 1/72 for large a/c...

J
Likewise  ;)  
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

SimonR

As ridiculous as the size of this thing would be (1.13m) the real killer would be the weight as the mass is inversely proportional to the cube of the scale. So the 1/24 TSR.2 would weigh 27 times as much as a 1/72 resin TSR.2! Somebody go and weigh a Heritage Aviation 1/72 TSR.2 and report back.

Having said all that, I'd probably buy one, it couldn't be any harder to build than the Airfix pile of crap.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Runway ? ...

I'm guessing it probably wont be as heavy as you think because the roughly 2lb Heritage tsr2 (guestimate, can't find my scales right now) is pretty much a solid lump of resin whereas, say,  the Anigrand Globemaster 2 is only about twice the weight mostly because it's made from 2-3mm thick castings. I wouldn't buy one ( my postie would fit it through the letterbox) but I'd love to see one  :)

Edit to say: If I'm feeling really annoying in the morning I'll get the post office to give you some proper sober numbers  :)

Mossie

I probably wouldn't buy one, but it's tempting.  The main problem for me is where I put it, I've only got a fairly small house & the one we're planning to move to isn't that much bigger.

It's one of these kits that seems like a good idea at the time, & then just goes to frunish the loft/basement/gararage.  I've got an Airfix 1/24 Harrier GR.1A in the loft which I asked for when I was a teenager, about seventeen years later it's still up there!

For those with the time/space/inclination, if Heritage releases the planned Bucc, Lightning & Hunter as well, we're going to have a fairly good representation of a 60's/70's RAF in 1/24 along with the Airfix Harriers.  Knowing Heritage they'll probably bring out some conversion kits for other variants as well.

It'd be nice to see all these on a SIG display at Telford.....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

P1127

QuoteWhile browsing that site, I noticed a 1:72 SHAR FA.2 conversion kit. I've been looking for this, wasn't aware one existed. That'll definitely go on the shopping list for Telford.  :wub:

The best way to get hold of the Heritage (Whirlybits) FA2 conversion is via e-bay (try Katana collectibles or search on Heritage).  I have done 3 now and they are a fairly easy conversion, although fitting the wing insert can be tricky (had similar problems with the Model Alliance FA2 conversion).
Actually, that's NOT the same kit - for one, the Whirlybirds kit has a solid fusleage insert, and secondly doesn't have decals (albeit those shown are for an FSR1!!!)

Also, there has, I understand, been a disagreement between Heritage/Katana and Whirlybirds. WB stopped making their SHAR conversion (when MB still ran Heritage) because Heritage were about to bring out a full scale FA2 kit - I've seen the decals for that, and they were excellent - and it looks like the instructions are for those decals)

Perhaps they have decided to do a conversion set after all - I did express my view that that was preferrable!
It's not an effing  jump jet.

P1127

I ordered theFA2 kit on Sunday night and it arrived this AM.

It's not quite the same as theWhirlybirds one, but I suspect they have a common root (The same blemish occurs in both kits!!)

What is DOES have is a nice set of decals for a proper FA2 (The shot on the site was wrong) - not bad for £5!!
It's not an effing  jump jet.

Hobbes

Does it? Mine (a Heritage set) came with high-visibility decals that (according to Martin H and Thorvic) are for an FRS.1.  

MartG

Quote1/144 TSR.2  :wub:
Mmmm - thinks single seat fighter conversion :lol:

1/24th one - I think I'd view it a bit like Hillary climbing Everest "because its there " :rolleyes:  
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

B777LR

Quote(1:24 TSR? Good grief, where would I park such a beast?)
You see THAT as a problem? How about where to park a 1/24 LAncaster!
The TSR2 is 20 feet longer than a Lanc....roughly a foot longer in 1/24  :o
Lancaster still has a greater span :P