Twin boom pusher B-25

Started by Eddie M., November 03, 2006, 09:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

QuoteI've been thinking of the 4 blade props as well. They would have to be scratchbuilt...
Would a pair of cuffed P-51 props work for you instead of scratchbuilding them?

I know "this guy" you see, and....

Let me know.    ;)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Eddie M.

QuoteI've been thinking of the 4 blade props as well. They would have to be scratchbuilt...

Let me know.    ;)
Tell your friend, that would be a big help. By the way, can anyone give me a good example of what US aircraft that had the stars and bars outlined in red. I seem to remember the Hellcat having those markings in one form or another. :)
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

According to Swanborough & Bowers' U.S. Military Aircraft Since 1908, the red outlined star-and-bar marking was used from July to September 1943. Any aircraft in service during that time would be fair game to carry that really cool U.S. insignia.

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Let me know.    ;)
Tell your friend, that would be a big help. By the way, can anyone give me a good example of what US aircraft that had the stars and bars outlined in red. I seem to remember the Hellcat having those markings in one form or another. :)
  Eddie
Uh, that "guy" dropped off the props, cones, and backing discs.

Hey, would these Cutting Edge "Boyington" decals in 1:48 be the red-outlined stars & bars you'd be looking for?

That guy dropped them off, too.

Eddie M.

Please that "guy" I really appreciate the help. B) Those decals are exactly what I am looking for. :D
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

Small progress report for this evening. I've added a some underwing rockets and drop tanks. Also added the pipes for the Merlin. :party:
  Eddie

Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

Oh wow....that head-on shot is imposing!

Rafael

Is like looking at Mr. Death Himself in the face!!!

Terryfying sight!!!

It keeps getting better

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Brian da Basher

Oh man that head-on shot makes me want to run and hide behind the sofa! Having that gat screaming down on you from above would certainly make you have an accident!

Another masterpiece in the making, Mr Miller!

Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

Thank you all very much! B) I just got a nice package from JHM. It's got some very sweet P-51 props. B)  B) Thank you very much Man Ho! ;)  :) Now, I want your opinion. The props have pins molded into the back of them. I already have the prop shafts installed on the Pusher. How would YOU install them on this bird? I'm very interested in seeing what y'all come up with. :)  
   Eddie

Look behind you!

Mossie

Cut off shaft on engines & drill hole to take the props?  You could do the opposite, but there's more potential for disaster.

Or you could remove the shaft from the props & leave a small stub on the engines & simply butt-join them.  Might be a little weak, but you could reinforce them by drilling tiny holes for a wire support.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

elmayerle

It depends on how sturdy I want things and how much effort I want to put in.  The quick approach of a butt joint could be reinforced with a pin, or equivalent, down the center.  I really solid joint would require some fancy trimming to do a splice of the two shafts - not for the faint of heart or clumsy of blade.  Another alternative would be to drill out the prop and use the existing shaft.

As I said, what exact approach I'd use depends on the time and effort I wanted to expend on it.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

John Howling Mouse

Glad to hear they got there alright.  Decals usable, too?

Technique? I'd keep the shafts on the model's engines and remove the props' shafts.  Once drilled out to match the shaft from the engines, I think the shallow insertion of the engine shaft into the backing plate's own hole will be enough of a joint.

Captain Canada

Cut each indivudual prop off , and then glue each one to the backing plate, which already has a hole in it, and are nicely dished out to accept the seperate blades. Then you can cover the whole caboodle with the spinner.

She's looking great, btw, Eddie ! Keep up the great work !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

frank2056

I would glue the props to the backplate, making sure that the blade shafts were fully glued to the backplate. Then when dry, flip the backplate over and drill an engine shaft-sized hole through the backplate's center hole, taking out the center of the now glued blades.

Frank