F22 considered by Japan

Started by GeorgeC, November 09, 2006, 08:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

QuoteAs Sisko said, the USAF is keen to push through export to Japan.  Given how they are barely getting enough airframes to fulfil their basic responsibilities, it makes sense to have loyal allies with their own F-22 fleet.  Raptors in Japan means the USAF has less of a need to base a wing/squadron there.

Regarding the use of the word Japanese, old-timers will remember that Tom has in the past asked us to refrain from its use.  He's oriental, and he's the big cheese, so thats all we need to know, regardless of the hypocrisy of some who complaining about it.
I agree about letting the Japanese have the Raptor. After being stationed there, I have found them to be one of our most trusted allies (and some of the nicest people on this planet).

I second your second as well. The irony is the PC cop is going to bat for people who think of him as nothing more than Gaijin. They may be some of the nicest folks around, but when it comes down to brass tacks....Gaijin.
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

lancer

QuoteI still like the YF-23A more...sexier plane!
Amen to that
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

I agree about the -23.....that thing was just so cool looking ! The boy has a 72nd scale plastic toy, with retractable landing gear. I 'fly' it around the house almost every day !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

elmayerle

Not only that, but from the flight test data reports I saw at the time, it was the better performer, able to go supersonic and cruise there without using 'burners.  From all I've read and heard, Northrop lost it in the management phase of the evaluation, not the performance or technical phases.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Hatchet

Not only that, but from the flight test data reports I saw at the time, it was the better performer, able to go supersonic and cruise there without using 'burners.  From all I've read and heard, Northrop lost it in the management phase of the evaluation, not the performance or technical phases.
Uh, the F-22 is able to cruise supersonic without burners too :blink:

From what I picked up, the -23 was stealthier, but the -22 had better maneouverability.

:cheers:

SimonR

This  is a picture of the best looking Japanese I've ever seen.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Hobbes

Uh, the F-22 is able to cruise supersonic without burners too :blink:
Yes, but that's not the same thing. It's harder to accelerate to supersonic speeds than to sustain them. It's quite possible the F-22 needs afterburners to go from Mach 0.9 to 1.5 and can then turn them off. Being able to accelerate to M1.5 without using the afterburners at all is more of an achievement.  

Mossie

I remember a comment that was made by a senior figure in the ATF program (a USAF General I think).  He was asked wether one of the designs was stealthier, one was faster, & one was more manouverable.  In response, he said (roughly) "It's not true to say that one is particularly more manouverable, & it is not true to say that one is particularly more stealthy".  Quoting this off memory so I may not have qoute 100% right.

The inference was that one design was superior, but in speed only.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Son of Damian

QuoteFrom what I picked up, the -23 was stealthier, but the -22 had better maneouverability

The YF-23 was faster, stealthier, and cheaper because it used parts from other aircraft already in production, landing gear from the F-18 & instrument panel from the F-15E strike eagle.  
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Zen

That was only for the machines they flew, had they won then the F23 would have evolved quite heavily before becoming production machines. I doubt you'd see any cost savings in the end or direct lifts of parts from any other aircraft.
To win without fighting, that is the mastry of war.

Shasper

On the contrary, I believe that the F-23 production A/C would have kept some of it's "borrowed" anatomy.

SHas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

anthonyp

Paging Evan, please report to the F-23 discussion thread.

Evan, to the F-23 discussion thread, please.  Thank you!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

elmayerle

QuoteOn the contrary, I believe that the F-23 production A/C would have kept some of it's "borrowed" anatomy.
Well, not perhaps as much as you'd think.  I rather suspect the production version would have refined several aspects to where they'd not necessarily be common to other aircraft.

One published aspect of the production F-23 proposal that I really liked was that the bulkhead between the two weapons bays was moveable, like that between the front two weapons bays on the B-1B; allowing for the internal carriage of larger munitions when required.  I'm splicing a couple YF-23 kits together to add the length for the extra weapons bay of a F-23.  I admit to being highly tempted to do an advanced version incorporating the aerodynamics of the X-35/F-35 inlets to reduce fab. costs while maintaining the same or better RCS and performance.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Radish

glad we're talkining about aircraft again chaps.

People call me lots of things all the time and I never take offence, just look either amused or bemused.
But that's me.

Nice PINK F-22 by the way.

And the F-23 looked so much more interesting too.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Mossie

Glad theres at least one other sane one around Radish.

I just spotted the Pink F-22 on Google Images while doing a search, thought I had to share it!

I agree, the F-23 just looks better.  The same with the McDD JAST/JSF proposal, I was gutted when that one was the first out of the competition.

It often seems the most interesting designs seem to loose out, probably because they're pushing the envelope a wee bit, but it's a shame from a modelling point of view!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.