F22 considered by Japan

Started by GeorgeC, November 09, 2006, 08:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatchet

QuoteThe same with the McDD JAST/JSF proposal, I was gutted when that one was the first out of the competition.
Got a pic? I know it's been asked before, but I can't recall how it looks :dum:

:cheers:

GTX

QuoteGot a pic? I know it's been asked before, but I can't recall how it looks

Here you go:

More here.  I have to agree that it was my favourite as far as external appearance goes.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Shasper

Well, its better than a.... OS.

As for names, I'm proud to be part Kraut/Hun. Tasha use to hate it when I'd call her Hon, after her objection I'd say "but your involved w/a hun, so get over it!" LOL

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

PolluxDeltaSeven

I just remember something I wrote for this topic about a Japanese F-22...
It was for Glanini's World War 3 topic, and the whole document could be find Here]here.[/URL]

Here is the extract of the document that is interesting for this thread:

Quote-F-22J Peace Raptor
Initially, the replacement of the F-4EJ Kai and the oldest F-15J was planned to start around 2010... But the war changes the plans, one more time. In June 2007, the JASDF chose the Raptor as an emergency option to increase its operational capacities: if the Japan has to enter in an open conflict against China, the F-4EJ, even modernised, will be easy target for the last generation Chinese fighters. That's why 86 F-22A Raptor renamed F-22J were ordered to replace the 4 last squadrons of F-4EJ and RF-4EJ Kai. Of course, only 32 F-22J were delivered by Lockheed Martin until 2009. At this time, the Japanese production line of the F-22J –in reality one of the F-2 lines transformed by Lockheed enginers– was ready to continue the production...
For the moment, 3 combat squadrons are equipped each with 20 Raptor –for the moment. The 5 last F-22J are equipping the 501st Air Recon Squadron, soon renamed Air Recon and Combat Squadron.
As Lockheed officials said, the F-22J will probably replace part of the F-15J, maybe 2 or 3 squadrons. Indeed, it's a Japanese tradition (and probably exclusivity) to produce MORE planes that what was initially estimated!!
But due to the high price of the F-22J (classified, but according to some non-official source, it is around 220M$ the unit), some politicians and industrials say that the number of F-22 will probably not be higher than 150 planes.)
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Hatchet

QuoteGot a pic? I know it's been asked before, but I can't recall how it looks

Here you go:

More here.  I have to agree that it was my favourite as far as external appearance goes.

Regards,

Greg
Dayum that's a big pic :wacko: But looks good, thanks :D

I liked the concept thingy that was in the game "Jane's Advanced Tactical Fighters". Basically a canard F-35, with some differences on the fuselage too. Can't come up with a pic tho' :(

:cheers:

elmayerle

QuoteGlad theres at least one other sane one around Radish.

I just spotted the Pink F-22 on Google Images while doing a search, thought I had to share it!

I agree, the F-23 just looks better.  The same with the McDD JAST/JSF proposal, I was gutted when that one was the first out of the competition.

It often seems the most interesting designs seem to loose out, probably because they're pushing the envelope a wee bit, but it's a shame from a modelling point of view!
Actually, the McDD JAST/JSF proposal lost out because they didn't meet the terms of the competition, one engine only.  When their gas-coupled fan concept proved impossible to make functional, they resorted to a separate lift engine and that got them disqualified.  I have been told by folks who were in on the original JAST/JSF proposal effort from Fort Worth that they considered the McDD proposal a far more serious competitor than the Boeing proposal.

For what it's worth, I agree that the F-23 looked better than the F-22; if posted flight test summaries (at least posted to cleared employees) are a guide, it was a bit better aircraft.  Where it lost out was on the management side; the USAF did not have a tremendous respect for Northrop's management at the time and, apparently, the proposal did not adequately, if at all, address these concerns.

Northrop later did regain some credibility with the USAF, at the cost of a poorer relationship with the USN, by no-bidding the BAFO (Best And Final Offer) phase of the ATA/A-12 program because their estimations were that the actual costs of what the Navy wanted were rather in excess of what Congress had been sold and they refused to "buy-in".  As it turns out, after the cancellation of the A-12, the estimated total program cost if the A-12 had proceeded into production came fairly close to Northrop's estimates (I have this from a former manager who was a second-level manager on Northrop's ATA effort).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin