G

Aldershot C1

Started by Geoff_B, November 20, 2006, 06:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_B

The HS-681 origianlly started out as the AW-681 as a replacement for the RAF's Beverly and Argosey transport aircraft. I originally decided to do this model early in the year following the release of the TSR2 as it was the only one of the trio of pojects cancelled in 1965 that we didn't have on display in 1/72 scale. The model was started as the AW-681 based upon drawing from Project cancelled and detailed photos of the manufactureres model at Midland Air museum, however after starting the build Harrier's (Mike Pryce) HS-681 article was published in Air Enthusiast, there the artwork and text indicated that Hawker Siddley at Woodford took control of the design and revised it for the final design slected by the RAF.

The model is based upon a heavily modifed C-130 Herculese fuselage with a new nose, a new reshaped tail, revised rounded fuegales and wheel sponsons removed. The Wing was reshaped for a C-135 wing, engines are Mig-15 fuselages with 1/144 DC-10 engine cowlings, the fin is created from a pair of 1/144 wings and the wheel sponsons and lamintaed plastic card. As you can see alot of plastic, fillers of various types and lead weight were used to create this model. Hope you like it  <_<

Geoff B

The build

Geoff_B

and a shot form Telford

ysi_maniac

Thumbs up! hats off!
No words. That is top notch kitbashing.
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Captain Canada

Very nice, Thor ! Sure looks like alot of work went into that one.....what's up with the funky exhausts ? Those from a Harrier ? Were they supposed to swivel ? And did some efflux still come out the rear of the engine ?

Cheers
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

Not bad Thor, but have you ever thought of building something challenging?   :D

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitnut617

Absolutely brilliant Geoff, wonderful job.  And where did you get the modern army vehicles, I'm looking for some of these myself.

:cheers: Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Geoff_B

Robert

JB models do the 1/76 Landrover 109 LWB, the Bedford MK, Land Rover 1 tonne in various variants. BW Models also do white metal post war British military vehicles in the same scale.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff_B

QuoteVery nice, Thor ! Sure looks like alot of work went into that one.....what's up with the funky exhausts ? Those from a Harrier ? Were they supposed to swivel ? And did some efflux still come out the rear of the engine ?

Cheers
Todd

Yeap Harrier rear nozzels, they swivel to give a better STOL performcance together with the built in wing devices. They don't have the power for VTOL (thus the earlier proposals with podds of dedicated lift engines) but can rotate to deflect thrust downwards to allow for shorter take off and landing and couple as thust deflectors. I think the thrust to the rear nozel was deflected to the side ones when they started to move but Harrier would be a better person to ask regarding the technical stuff.

G B)  

van883

incredible-I can only dream of being able to build something like that!

Van

Spey_Phantom

great job there, looks alot like the a-400M that mated with the C-17.
if that was available in 1 kit, i'd buy a few  :wub:  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Archibald

Fantastic job!!!  :wub:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Aircav

Great looking bird and a great job too  :D  :D  :D  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Tophe

Congratulations, Master... :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

wolfik

I agree with Tophe.... :cheers:  

kitnut617

QuoteRobert

JB models do the 1/76 Landrover 109 LWB, the Bedford MK, Land Rover 1 tonne in various variants. BW Models also do white metal post war British military vehicles in the same scale.

Cheers

Geoff
Thanks Geoff, they look really good.  I have the JB 109 LWB and I didn't think it would turn out as good as you've got it.

I've read a little bit about the 681, but I can't remember if it was to have the plenum burning engine or just the straight Harrier engine.  Would you know anything about that?

:cheers: Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike