Question from an old new guy

Started by Rafael, November 22, 2006, 04:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

Hi, guys, (and ladies if there are any), I'm Rafael, from tropical Venezuela. After a modeling hyatus of 20 years, i finally found a community made for me!. In those 20 years i've built very, very few models and been stashing model boxes in an abandoned corner, waiting for the magic moment in wich i would (finally) sit down and cut, saw, glue, and fantasize and generally have the ton of fun that modeling is to me. That never happenned, though, until one day i found this forum.  I've been browsing every section with interest and found a LOT of very nice things built and dreamed by you, as i would have liked to dream an do. In my time i too did some mods and scratched/kitbashed a lot. My question is: ¿Is this forum only related to modeling in plastic?. If that is so, i will keep my future postings related only to this media. Otherwise, i discovered card modeling a couple years ago, and completed some builds and made some designs of mine that i would like to show off. Please somebody give me directions so i can keep in the general modeling tendency (if any) of this woderful forum.
Thanks.
Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Runway ? ...

Hi, I'm still a new boy but the vibe seems to be, plastic, wood, wire, string, sticky tape and cuddly toys, whatever it takes to get your idea into the flesh then go for it  :)  

Rafael

Hi, Runway, you're the first person i meet here. I take it then, that everything modeling is allowed?
1/72 Scale Maniac
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

The Rat

QuoteHi, guys, (and ladies if there are any), I'm Rafael, from tropical Venezuela.
That's um, as opposed to the Arctic portion?  :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.  :D

Nope, we don't just do plastic, but since that's the most common structural material that's what you usually see.

Welcome aboard!  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

AeroplaneDriver

Welcome aboard Rafael!

Obviously the focus of this site is plastic modeling, but as far as I can tell, "what if?" models of all media are welcome.  Radish and Alvis are known for "alternate media" models, including boots and fruit, so I'm sure your card models will be well received.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Leigh

QuoteHi, Runway, you're the first person i meet here. I take it then, that everything modeling is allowed?
Well I think we do draw the line at modelling with meat, 'cos that's just plain weird :wacko: otherwise anything goes. Welcome aboard mate :cheers:

Hmm you might want to check though there may be a rule about not modelling anything vaguely Canadian  :lol:  

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteHi, Runway, you're the first person i meet here. I take it then, that everything modeling is allowed?
Well I think we do draw the line at modelling with meat, 'cos that's just plain weird :wacko: otherwise anything goes. Welcome aboard mate :cheers:

Hmm you might want to check though there may be a rule about not modelling anything vaguely Canadian  :lol:
dammit Leigh, here I am 3/4 of the way through my 1/32 Spam Scooter and you bring this rule up!  

Leigh

dammit Leigh, here I am 3/4 of the way through my 1/32 Spam Scooter and you bring this rule up!
I don't think Spam has yet to be qualified as meat so you might be OK :wacko:

WEIRDO!

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

AeroplaneDriver

I don't think Spam has yet to be qualified as meat so you might be OK :wacko:

WEIRDO!
Fair enuf.  Back to carving then!  I assume my Slim Jim Shrikes will also be OK on hte same basis?

anthonyp

QuoteWell I think we do draw the line at modelling with meat, 'cos that's just plain weird :wacko: otherwise anything goes. Welcome aboard mate :cheers:
So... my bacon biplane is just out?  But... it's got spats made of more bacon!

Welcome aboard, Rafael!  Feel free to build in whatever medium you decide, and share it here!  There's one particular builder from France on here that makes some of the nicest models using bits and bobs from various sources.

Extra points for ice sculptures with Canadian roundels on them, though  :lol:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Rafael

Hi Rat, we're trying to annex the antartic, so don't scare the whales and penguins, please.

And Aeroplane Driver, thank you for your reply, and your mention of fruit reminds me of the plethora of such vegetables in here. now i wonder if a flying papaya suits our modeling goals

Hey Leigh, we take barbeques very seriously over here, perhaps i can launch a modeling contest, maybe an edible version of the B-1 called the T-Bone flyng chicken-wing with anthonyp's bacon biplane

Thank you all fellows you've made my modeling spirits soar. You're a very happy bunch.

Muchas Gracias a todos.
Rafa.
1/72 Scale Maniac

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

anthonyp

QuoteYou're a very happy bunch.
Happy?  I think "crazy," "insane," "completely mad," or "stark raving luney" are the words you're really looking for  :dum:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Daryl J.

Rafael,

Welcome to modeling's creative centre.  :P  B)  B)  B)
Unfettered creativity in 3D is  good for the mind isn't it.   To echo others, any medium is acceptable.  

There's an ''Almost Lighter than Air Ship" in design that's going to be principally brass, craft styrofoam, and epoxy putty.   Some of these guys do great CG line drawing what-if's.  Styrene simply is the intended medium but straying from styrene is encouraged.   :ar:  :ar:  :ar:

Daryl J.

GTX

Rafael,

Welcome to the maddness - hope you enjoy.  Anything goes as far as modelling media - just don't feed the Canadians :lol: !

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Archibald

Hello my name is Archibald the blue peter kid and I can't help modelling Mirages from card (-board)...
bienvenido al manicomio! Welcome in the asylum (for the canadians, If I understand well, there's no need to feed them because of their high beer consumption - or, more probably I understood wrong because of these damned loctite fumes!!!
Hmmm... an aircraft model made of meat... (Homer drool, homer drool)  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.