PM declares Quebec nation 'within Canada'

Started by Son of Damian, November 23, 2006, 04:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

Sorry Ollie, I didn't want to hurt you.
The  Quebec language is not really "old French" its just that both language separate 400 years ago and followed different paths... which gave the differences we have today.
for example, the word "car". In french, it's "voiture" but in quebec they say a "char".  
In French the word "char" still exist but no longer correspond to a car, rather to a "cart"...
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Ollie

QuoteSince Quebecois speak a dialect of French I would imagine close relations with France. Ideas......
Well this made me smile, me and the wife have just sold our house to some people who have just moved to Calgary from Paris, France.  After we had got chatting with them we found out that they had stayed in Quebec first for a time but then moved to here.  The French lady said they couldn't understand what everyone was saying.  I thought she was joking but she was quite sincere.  I asked if the dialect was different and she said it wasn't so much as a dialect, but more because, and in her words, it was 'old' French.

Still having a chuckle here.

Robert
It's mainly because the French don't take the time to properly understand what we are saying.

I call that snobery, and no, it's not every Frenchie who does it.

^_^  

Shasper

2 peoples separated by a common language...

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Ollie

No Archie, a "voiture" is a "voiture".  Slang for voiture is "char", but I don't speak slang as I speak French.

Same thing with the "argot".  Nowt to understand in there...

;)

You haven't insulted me in any way, I'm used to dealing with stubborn Frenchmen!

:P  

Jennings

"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Archibald

QuoteNo Archie, a "voiture" is a "voiture".  Slang for voiture is "char", but I don't speak slang as I speak French.

Same thing with the "argot".  Nowt to understand in there...

;)

You haven't insulted me in any way, I'm used to dealing with stubborn Frenchmen!

QuoteI'm used to dealing with stubborn Frenchmen!

Maybe it's  because you Quebecois don't take the time to properly understand what we are asking.
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

nev

QuoteThe new Québec roundel:

*snorts ham, cheese & cucumber sandwiches over the moniter*

:lol:  :lol:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

" A Nation within a Nation, surrounded by Nations, with a Nation on top "

Sounds good....I'll take two, please !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AirJim

I think Quebec's new air arm will be the Ollie Air Force.  (Ollie - you guys have enough planes right?)  :)

J - Actually I think that is the DIPS Roundel...

:)

Jim

Ollie

Actually, our roundel will be the French one, but with a lily flower instead of the blue dot.

Check your references.

And yes Jim, we should be good, and we can count on the Potter Air Force too.

:P  ;)