Beriev A-50 Shmel

Started by Hobbes, November 24, 2006, 10:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

click to play Soviet anthem

Comrades!

Is glorious day for the Soviet Union!

Allow me to introduce yet another technological marvel that has kept the Rodina safe these past years. The Beriev A-50 Shmel (Bumblebee) has patrolled our borders since 1984, providing early warning services and guiding the fighter aircraft of the VVS. This much has been made public before.

Today we can reveal that this aircraft has had a surprise up its sleeve. Our cunning engineers have adapted the combat system of the Su-27, and they installed launchers for R-27 and R-73 missiles so this valuable aircraft could defend itself in an emergency.
This arrangement has been tested in combat twice, during treacherous border incursions by the backstabbing Chinese. When their inferior aircraft were summarily dispatched by the valiant A-50 crew, they soon learned not to meddle in our affairs.

(note from the CIA)
It seems the modification has been done in reaction to the loss of an A-50 in a border incident over Siberia.

GTX

Interesting.  I would have gone with R-33s myself so as to pick the pesky chinese off from afar, but if it's self defence...

BTW, how about some kill markings?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Hobbes

Yes, I thought about doing kill markings today, but don't have any appropriate ones in the stash I think.

The R-27 comes in 2 versions, with 80 or 120 km range. You'll notice both are present.  Should be enough (and the R-33 has a quoted range of 120 km, I see).  

gooberliberation

Mmm sexy. While youre at it perhaps put the tailguns back on?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Hobbes

Nah, the tail guns were deleted to make room for more electronics. Despite being pretty big, the A-50 is apparently rather cramped. The crews much preferred the old Tu-126, which had more room and better sound isolation.    

Hobbes

The kit is the Trumpeter 1:144 item, by the way. It's built OOB, except for the missiles. They're from a Dragon Su-27 kit. I've modified two of the R-27 missiles: I've inserted an extra section into the missile body to create the longer-range version.

lancer

Brilliant Harro. Loved how she looked on the stand last weekend.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

B777LR

I can just imagine the sight of A-50 outturning a chinese J-10!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Ermmmm - Am I missing something here...... oh yes, the pictures, why can't I see the pictures, or have they been 'censored' by the powers that be.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

GTX

They work for me - no censoring here.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Brian da Basher

That's really cool, Hobbes! She looks every bit the business! You're right, IS Glorious day in Great Soviet Union! B)

Brian da Basher

NARSES2

She looked even better in the flesh Hobbes - terriffic clean build

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I started this build almost 2 years ago, it's a bugger to get right: the fit of the fuselage and wings isn't great and needs lots of filler, and I really didn't want to obliterate all that surface detail so PSR took ages. I'm pleased with how well it turned out.  

Archibald

Nice!
The A-50 presented here is the companion of the La-270 ultra-long range fighter (hunter killer teams :) )  ^_^  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

nev

The people salute you Comrade Harro!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May