F-105 Thunderchief

Started by noxioux, March 08, 2005, 03:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

QuoteHow about a "Thud-ner screech"?
For that you'd want at least a T54 (twin T56 hot sections driving a combining gearbox with, presumably, contra-props) for power.  I think I'd rather go in other directions, ones less mechanicially complicated.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Wyrmshadow

Okay here's a different version, hardly any difference at all really.

new engine
blown glass canopy
LANTIRN and FLIR pods
I kept the ECM pods on the fuseladge from the older Thud
now had LGB capability.

I guess most of the improvements would be internal.
Likes to re-invent the wheel
http://1wyrmshadow1.deviantart.com/

elmayerle

QuoteOkay here's a different version, hardly any difference at all really.

new engine
blown glass canopy
LANTIRN and FLIR pods
I kept the ECM pods on the fuseladge from the older Thud
now had LGB capability.

I guess most of the improvements would be internal.
Now that cockpit canopy looks more like the F-105C/E canopies.

Wyrmshadow

Okay here's one with just the single fin and the spine removed. Makes it look really thick in the middle. I put the butterfly tail on it to aesthetically balance out the overall look.

This is of cource only a pre-lim texture in the all metal finish. What do you think? F-15E colors? Could one of you profile makers give me a good idea like tail-fin art? I'm not good at squadron specifics, so any graphical help would be good.

Wyrmshadow

Strike Eagle colors

ChuckAnderson

Hi Everyone!

Here's a few more....

(1) How about a "Sea-Thud" modifiedSOMEHOW to operate off of aircraft carriers?

(2) A high-altitude Thud with wings of high aspect ratio (swept-back or straight)

(3) A Thud with a crew-escape capsule (rather than individual ejection-seats)

(4) An electronic warfare Thud

Chuck

Wyrmshadow

An Isreali SuperChief with a payload of 12xDurendals 2xAim-9 and a drop tank on its way to bomb an arab airfield.

Anyone else think it looks like s smaller version of the Flying Leopard?

Archibald

Man, that's just superb!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: You have to turn that into a 2D profile, and put it in the new section of the forum.
And yes, the FBH-1 looks like a twin engine thud...  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Madoc

Wyrm,

Looks great - but can you shrink that canopy down some?  As it stands it looks way out of scale.  Especially now that you've added the aircrew and cockpit details.

Madoc
Wherever you go, there you are!

Archibald

Just a thought about your Israeli Super Chief.... the thud was, basically a bigger aircraft than the F-16. Suposing that both aircrafts had the same engine (F-100 or upgraded F-110), and that the bomb bay of the Thud was used to carry even more fuel, we can suppose that this upgraded thud would have had a much suprior range than a F-16 no ?
Hmmm F-105I with F-110, CFTs, internal fuel tanks... more range than a F-16I Soufa ?  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

elmayerle

Ah, I'd have to dig out the dimensional data, I'm not sure just how direct a replacement a F110 for a J75 would be.  I will wager, though, that the differences in weight and length will/would require some careful adjustments to maintain a viable CG or will require a full-time, full-authority Fly-by-wire system.

Shasper

Why not a F404, 414 or a PW1125?

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

elmayerle

PW1125 = F100, basically.  the others are a bit under-powered for the airframe, at least singly - anyone care to do a Super-Thud with two F414s?

Shasper

Ev I was thinking dimensions-wise when I posted that, clearly overlooking the thrust! :dum:  Gawd I'll be happy when my head loosens up!

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Archibald

Forget to say : the Thud was build from the start for the low-level attack missions (when the F-16 started as fighter :) ). Maybe this could be another advantage