Lifecolor acrylics

Started by Dork the kit slayer, November 30, 2006, 07:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dork the kit slayer

Esteemed modellers and kit bashers alike....but mainly the Brit chapter. :unsure:

Ive been playing around using Lifecolor acrylics (airbrush and hand painted) and must admit to liking the finish they give......but...how the hell do you strip them off.

The old (British) stand by Mr Muscle doesnt lift it and neither does the" Wilkinsons" cheapo equivilent. Both good with Tamiyas' :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Thinking caps on gentlemen...my floatplane birdcage corsair awaits.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote...my floatplane birdcage corsair awaits.
You promised that you were going to build it with spats !  :o  - B da B likes spats, allegedly !

OK, weren't we told by a modeler of our acquaintence, some years back, that when all else fails, we should try 'brake fluid' - I may be wrong, G*d knows my memory isn't what it was..... perhaps some of the other guys have heard the same thing....

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Martin H

QuoteOK, weren't we told by a modeler of our acquaintence, some years back, that when all else fails, we should try 'brake fluid' - I may be wrong, G*d knows my memory isn't what it was..... perhaps some of the other guys have heard the same thing....

Ian
Ive heard the same thing, but never had the guts to try it.

Have u tried the model strip stuff Hannants some times stock?  ive got some that ive used to re do a few dicasts for a friend, but ive not tried it on plastic yet, or life color for that matter.

Ive been useing life color for a few years , and yep good stuff, not had a reason to strip a model coated in it yet thou. Ive had to go back to useing humberol enamles mainly these days due to a lack of a local stockist of life color or xtra color.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Shasper

Try a industry-grade degreaser, or your favorite soft drink (both'll work on the real thing  ;) )

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

lancer

QuoteIve heard the same thing, but never had the guts to try it.

Have u tried the model strip stuff Hannants some times stock?  ive got some that ive used to re do a few dicasts for a friend, but ive not tried it on plastic yet, or life color for that matter.

Ive been useing life color for a few years , and yep good stuff, not had a reason to strip a model coated in it yet thou. Ive had to go back to useing humberol enamles mainly these days due to a lack of a local stockist of life color or xtra color.
I have used Modelstrip and it is very good at removing enamel paint. Not sure what it's like with acrylic though. Beaing in mind that I had to strip my RM A4 as the first paint job went horribly wrong. Got rid of the enamel fine, but left the primer in place.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lancer

Martin, TAHS in West Drayton stock the full range of Lifecolor paints. Oh, and unlike Hannants they will ship piant in the post. Not that I ever have a need to order stuff from them by post, I just drive over and pick it up... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Leigh

QuoteOK, weren't we told by a modeler of our acquaintence, some years back, that when all else fails, we should try 'brake fluid' - I may be wrong, G*d knows my memory isn't what it was..... perhaps some of the other guys have heard the same thing....

Ian
Ive heard the same thing, but never had the guts to try it.

I have and it can melt styrene.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Lord Darth Beavis

Try spray-on oven cleaner, like E-Z Off.  Castrol Super-Clean works really well, too.  Dunno if they're available Over There, but check your local autoparts store for the Super-Clean.  Just remember to wear gloves!  Superclean and E-Z Off will tear your skin UP! :o  
3 Time National Champions: 1958, 2003, 2007

2 BCS Championships: 2003, 2007

How many BCS trophies in your trophy room, USC?

Geaux Tigers!

Dork the kit slayer

not had a reason to strip a model coated in it yet thou. .
that my friend is ,because your not stupid enough to paint the underside of a corsairs outer wing the WRONG colour ( standing in corner of model room hanging head and wearing a "petshop boys" hat) :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Dork the kit slayer

QuoteTry spray-on oven cleaner, like E-Z Off.
"Mr Muscle" is our oven cleaner and always worked on any model paint,until last year when I think the formula was changed. I have since used another brand that is very harsh.....and even that hasnt put a dent in the Lifecolor. :dum:

Shas:    soft drink??.....Im assuming (the liquid )"coke"....Ill give it a try it cleans coins and melts teeth...so why not paint.

THanks all :cheers: