WW2 Hungarian markings

Started by Aircav, December 04, 2006, 02:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

Hi one and all
I'm on with a project at the moment that's going to be Hungarian airforce but I need a little help, does anyone know what the ratio was for the green, white and red stripes were on the tailplanes of their aircraft during the second world war?
Many thanks
Steve
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Son of Damian

Fortuneately for you I have a copy of Hungarian Eagles from Hikoki pub so let me see here.......

Early in the war it was equal parts red white and green applied from the front of the vertical stabelizer to the back of the rudder, each stripe 113 cm wide. Often the national colors were also applied in exactly the same fashion to the horizontal stabelizers.

From 1942-43 the colors were applied the same except that the green stripe was only applied to the rudder not the vertical stabelizer.

From 1943-44 the colors werr applied in equal parts from the front of the vertical stab to the back of the rudder, but only above the horizontal stabelizer.

From 44-45 the colors were only applied to the top third of the rudder, in three equal stripes that totalled 113cm. A variant on this has the colors applied in only the top quater of the rudder, but the book gives no measurements.

The section of the offical markings doesn't mention but the profiles show it is that it was common for most if not all aircraft up until about 44 to have the national colors applied to the top and bottom of the horizontal stabelizer. Either over its entire length, half the length, or a third.

By 1945 the national colors were all but gone from fighters with only the cross ( alot of the time it wasn't even painted white, it was just the color of the camouflage the aircraft was wearing) on the black field being used.    
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Aircav

Ah, Great, just what I was after  :D
Many Thanks
Steve
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
:cheers:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader